PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

IceAlisa
02-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Damn, did I go to the wrong high school or what? :lol: No one handed me any doobies.

Ozzisk8tr
02-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Damn, did I go to the wrong high school or what? :lol: No one handed me any doobies.

Me too, my teacher would give me her roaches in pre-school, but never high school. :P

Southpaw
02-26-2011, 02:22 AM
How do you say doobie po russki?

Kasey
02-26-2011, 02:23 AM
doobski?

GarrAarghHrumph
02-26-2011, 02:36 AM
doobie doobie doobski ;)

IceAlisa
02-26-2011, 02:38 AM
:rofl: I am actually not sure as I've never spoken about them in Russian. I know the verb that means to get high on pot but the the actual doobie..not sure.. Tinami? dinakt? My Russian slang is not what it used to be.

Southpaw
02-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Masha Ivana

dinakt
02-26-2011, 02:48 AM
:rofl: I am actually not sure as I've never spoken about them in Russian. I know the verb that means to get high on pot but the the actual doobie..not sure.. Tinami? dinakt? My Russian slang is not what it used to be.

:rofl::rofl:I am with you, feeling hopelessly boring. "Kurit' travu"-but doobie stumps me. BTW, have you seen that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDV6_FlRais&feature=player_embedded

(that's Russian/ Canadian news about 13 bears found in marijuana fields. It's in Russian)

After some research (alas, without field work) I think it would be "kosyak'. Perhaps people current on Russian slang can verify.

IceAlisa
02-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Masha Ivana

MariVanna (also a name of a Russian restaurant in NYC:)) is a contraction of the name and patronymic that sounds like marijuana. That's the best I can do.

:rofl::rofl:I am with you, feeling hopelessly boring. "Kurit' travu"-but doobie stumps me. BTW, have you seen that

(that's Russian/ Canadian news about 13 bears found in marijuana fields. It's in Russian)
Yes, "kurit' travu" and also "dolbitsia" but a doobie...hmmm...I will ask around.

OMG, that video is hysterical!!! :rofl: x 1,000,000.

For non-Russian speakers: the announcer is trying to say that Canadian police have discovered a marijuana farm being guarded by 13 black bears and that also present on the premises were a raccoon, a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig and a dog. She is having some trouble getting through this news piece though. :shuffle:

Tinami Amori
02-26-2011, 05:55 AM
After some research (alas, without field work) I think it would be "kosyak'. Perhaps people current on Russian slang can verify.

That’s right “kosyak”.

Also “skrutka” (cкрутка) - joint, dur’ (дурь) – doobie, “anasha” (анаша) - pot, and less popular ones used in “southern parts of former USSR”: “khimka” (химка) – spliff, “djzha” (джа) –ganja, “khanka” (ханка) - reefer, “kizyak” (кизяк) – bull’s manure.

Yeah for Romper Room: Do be a Do Bee, don't be a Don't Bee.

Ah, the stuff you think of when babysitting 5 dogs all day…… :D

IceAlisa
02-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Oh thank goodness. That's right. "Kosyak", that one I've heard.

Stephanie
02-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I expect her to be near the top next season. She looks mature and confident, I think next season she will try at least 2A-3T, with such great jumps it wouldn't be a problem... I wonder if Leonova and Makarova will still make the team next season, with finally age eligible Sheveleva, Shelepen and Agafonova it's going to be much harder.
And today I was impressed with two little girls who came 1st and 2nd in juniors (both b. in 1999), especially Alsu Kayumova who has all triples already and a beautiful 2A-3T

Anna Ovcharova will also be eligible for seniors next year and Biryukova should challenge with another year of experience. I doubt both Leonova and Makarova will make the world team next year but then again a lot can happen/change in a year.

Asli
02-26-2011, 12:23 PM

That's hysterical! :rofl: Thanks dinakt and IceAlisa.

I feel for the presenter! Once you start laughing hysterically it's impossible to stop it! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rfisher
02-26-2011, 01:04 PM
She had the most infectious laugh. I was laughing with her without a clue was she was saying.

let`s talk
02-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I speak Czech.

You need to understand that in the Czech republic the level of political correctness is not the same as in USA or the UK. He says that he is 'normal' meaning that he is like the majority of population. It does not imply that he would think that the remaining monority is 'not normal'.

What a person says needs to be taken within a cultural context. For example, in the UK you call black person 'black', whereas somewhere in South Africa you apparently use the term 'coloured'. (at least that's what someone explained to me). It doesn't necessary mean that people in other country would be the racist, it means that different terminology is used and it is not worth trying to make up what he may have meant.
Either you clicked the wrong "Quote" button and your reply was supposed to be for another poster; or you misread/miscomprehended my post. In fact I was defending Tomas, especially from those who think languages are just technical tools, all the world think the same way, just various folks use their folk words for things that are established by the universal mentality! Jeez... It's unbelievable how somebody can be so smart :D if they think that, if there is a slang word "straight" in English, there should be the equivalent of that in other languages too. I don't remember how many times I said on FSU that things are not universal. I am almost professional at it! I agree with everything you said because I myself said the same. Moreover, I am not really sure that the term "political correctness" is applicable here. The breach of PC takes place when a person had a choice between various words but he deliberately used the wrong one. In Tomas case I assume he used the word that was a norm in the Czech language at that time, simply because there was no other option. In Russian it's pretty much the same. The official word "geterosekshual" (from English heterosexual) sounds horrible for that language, the "traditsionnoy seksual'noy orientatsii" (traditional sexual orientation) is too long. So, people often say "notmal'ny" (normal), or "ne gei" (not a gay).

I don't see anything wrong with Tomas words and I wish some journalists to stop asking him repeatedly their funny questions about his sexual orientation.

That’s right “kosyak”.

Also “skrutka” (cкрутка) - joint, dur’ (дурь) – doobie, “anasha” (анаша) - pot, and less popular ones used in “southern parts of former USSR”: “khimka” (химка) – spliff, “djzha” (джа) –ganja, “khanka” (ханка) - reefer, “kizyak” (кизяк) – bull’s manure.
:lol:, but that's old. Current young folks would say something like: I "bagril" and "abshabashilsya" (smoked much pot), then "zagnal" (injected) with "bayan" (accordion, slang for syringe,) some "afganskiy bul'on" (Afghan bouillon, slang for heroin), and got "ABVGD-eika" (literally Russian ABC, slang for hepatitis, drug users catch all types of it).

No, the World team has already been announced.
I wonder, after what Menshov showed in R-Cup, two clean programs with 3 quads in total, and knowing that Gachi is actually injured, could it be that they will change their plans and send Menshov to Worlds? I know, they don't. :( But I still want to speculate. ;)

And what Leonova and Makarova presented is just :scream: If they both skate like this, it will be good if Russia keeps two spots for the next World and not one.

Let's talk more about this Russian Cup, and who competeed, and get back on topic, shall we?
Winners:
Rosa Shcheveleva, SP
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhRpk1yWQvE
LP:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvveTKPcUiA
Efremenkov (junior winner), LP:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7j53PeSyCI