PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

cholla
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Thank you, it really feels good to have some support because you'd think I had suddenly turned into a monster...

allezfred
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Thank you, it really feels good to have some support because you'd think I had suddenly turned into a monster...

Oh no, we've known you as a monster for a while now, but a very friendly one so long as we're not speaking loudly on our mobile phones. ;)

cholla
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
OK great, now I feel like the Nice Monster (http://storybird.s3.amazonaws.com/storyplayer_cover_images/72666umgyq.jpeg) :lol:

orientalplane
02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
There's a lot on this subject I could say too, cholla, but for a variety of reasons, including keeping internet friendships alive, I think it's best for me to back out (though certainly not back down).

Exeunt.

MarieM
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Oh the nice monster is cute ! :lol:

itsartemis
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cholla again.

Great post, Cholla! :respec:

kia_4EverOnIce
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
whole post

great post

Sylvia
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
There was an article in the Czech press about Tomas Verner performing in North Korea: http://praguemonitor.com/2011/02/18/ln-czech-figure-skater-dances-kim-jong-ils-birthday-feast

"Tomas is very popular in North Korea. I mean among ordinary people and not politicians," Lukas Pribyl, from the Sport Invest company, representing Verner, said.

He added that Verner had never been involved in political activities.

Czech diplomacy was not much enthusiastic about Verner's trip to he country with a tough totalitarian regime, LN writes.

Nevertheless, Czech authorities have not interfered in Verner's participation in Kim Jong-il's birthday celebrations.

"We cannot ban any athlete or artist from travelling or performing abroad. It is up to him/her," Foreign Ministry spokesman Vit Kolar told the paper.

kia_4EverOnIce
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
also here they speak of tomas, pechalat/bourzat, bonaly and plushenko with a couple of photos and a video: http://www.reflex.cz/clanek/politika/40584/krasobruslar-verner-lze-o-kldr-podivejte-se-na-zpravy-severokorejcu.html

deedeelocks
02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
There was an article in the Czech press about Tomas Verner performing in North Korea: http://praguemonitor.com/2011/02/18/ln-czech-figure-skater-dances-kim-jong-ils-birthday-feast
There is/was a lot about Tomas and the show in North Korea in Czech press in General. A lot of people in CZE are giving him shit and talking trash about him right now because he skated in NK. I don't think he deserves all this (it's really affecting him) because he's a good kid and he didn't have any bad intentions when he went there. Just now everything went the wrong way.

oubik
02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
There is/was a lot about Tomas and the show in North Korea in Czech press in General. A lot of people in CZE are giving him shit and talking trash about him right now because he skated in NK. I don't think he deserves all this (it's really affecting him) because he's a good kid and he didn't have any bad intentions when he went there. Just now everything went the wrong way.

Well, I can call it "Journalists anti-Verner orgasm" what was written last week in newspapers and webzines he (Tomas) was nearly treated like a sadistic killer of several victims caught finally after years of public scaring. All people who are involved in figure skating in Czech republic strongly disagreed with this, even Michal Brezina was mentioning in his current interview on his own this was too much and Tomas is and was never politically involved and he is surely not a sympathizer of communist ideas.

Most strange thing is Tomas was openly speaking about his participation in North Korea on his press conference after the Europeans and nobody complained, no press coverage, no recommendations from Ministry of Foreign Affairs but suddenly when he was in Pyongyang it was re-taken to the table and researched everywhere. It was like a paid anti-PR....

I hope Tomas will get over it and skate well at Worlds.

allezfred
02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Kind of ironic that it was in the Czech Republic where so many North Korean "guest workers" were employed until a few years back. :shuffle:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/10/28/2009102800620.html

ioana
02-23-2011, 02:59 PM

I agree he seems to be getting a disproportionate amount of attention. Kia's article is the first time I read about Plush being in North Korea, but seeing him and Surya there is even more :eek:. I can sorta understand why skaters who are currently competing would eventually decide the appearance fee and -assuming their programs were broadcast on national TV- a chance to perform for an audience who would never get a chance to see them skate otherwise could make it worthwhile to go.

I have a hard time believing Plush needed the appearance fee that badly, but maybe he genuinely wanted to show the North Korean people there are other ways to live besides a dictatorship. And this is the first step in a career in political activism :saint:. This will be on his agenda as he runs for a seat in the Duma...

ETA: cholla's post brings up a lot of good points about why someone would want to go into a totalitarian country and try to make a difference. Not sold on the idea that a skating show for a dictator's birthday would make that list, but still good food for thought.

cholla
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
There's a lot on this subject I could say too, cholla, but for a variety of reasons, including keeping internet friendships alive, I think it's best for me to back out (though certainly not back down).

Exeunt.

My post wasn't directed to you but to icedance21 who accused me of spreading propaganda. I thought I had made it clear that I was making a distinct difference between your answer and hers/his. I've never had any trouble keeping any kind of friendship alive even with people not sharing my views. Accusing me of something I wouldn't be caught dead doing, is very different though, and precisely, you didn't do that. If I felt entitled to defend myself, it wasn't against you or your opinion, but against something said by someone else that I found very unfair. Just to make things clearer if they were not.

Willowway
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry that Tomas is getting such a hard time over this because I'm sure his intentions were just fine. That said, where are the more adult (read older), more sophisticated or worldly folks who should be advising him?

While posters are right that the people of North Korea are not the problem, Tomas skated at a birthday celebration for one of the most brutal dictators alive today. That performance has little to do with the North Korean man on the street or those people in country who are literally starving. Someone more knowledgable should have/could have advised Tomas that there might be comment and he should think twice about accepting what was probably a very nice money offer.

Skating does not exist in a vaccum; it exists, unfortunately sometimes, in a complex world. Occasionally and it seldom happens, a decision to skate somewhere or for someone needs to be weighed with more significant considerations. I am sure that Tomas has just learned that - the hard way.