PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

kia_4EverOnIce
02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
in this site, you find both protocols and videos
http://www.mbtc.it/top_classification.php?pag=senior_pairs.php
(the link is direct to the page with V/T video)

orientalplane
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm really horrified that non-North Korean would participate in a ceremony for Kim Jong Il, in North Korea.

Yes, me too - I think it's disgraceful.

Marco
02-23-2011, 04:26 AM
I think it is a lot of money. IIRC, Sasha Cohen went once.

let`s talk
02-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Isn't it a bad idea to have a stamp in your passport from North Korea, Syria if you tend to go to USA?
Right. When people travel around the world, the first thing they think about is how the USA Customs will judge the stamps in their passports. :D

Some pics from the North Korea show. (the quality is a little :scream:):
www.kcna.kp/eng/photo_index.php?p_no=22701&year=2011

orientalplane
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I think it is a lot of money. IIRC, Sasha Cohen went once.

Making a lot of money doesn't mean that one should just abandon principle.

Fashionista
02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
P.S. I'm sorry for the off topic but what did North Korea do to the rest of the world that everyone is so insulted about this event? I mean did it bomb your countries or what?

orientalplane
02-23-2011, 10:29 AM
P.S. I'm sorry for the off topic but what did North Korea do to the rest of the world that everyone is so insulted about this event? I mean did it bomb your countries or what?

North Korea is a totalitarian state with some of the worst human rights records in the world. Hundreds of thousands of peple are severely malnourished. Don't you read the news?

cholla
02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Right. When people travel around the world, the first thing they think about is how the USA Customs will judge the stamps in their passports.

If they want to get in the country later, they'd better think about it, yes. For instance, trying to enter the US with a foreign passport stamped by Pakistan and Syria can be a real problem. Even with an American passport, you're asked many questions and viewed suspiciously. So it may not be "the first thing" people have to think about, but it's something not to forget, nonetheless.

Making a lot of money doesn't mean that one should just abandon principle.
True, but skating is an extremely expensive sport and I assume that, to pay invoices, some skaters who aren't endorsed by big rich companies, don't have that much choice either. Not everybody is ready to starve for their principle ;). And offering North Korean people some distractions, even on such an occasion, is very different from supporting the totalitarian regime.

orientalplane
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
True, but skating is an extremely expensive sport and I assume that, to pay invoices, some skaters who aren't endorsed by big rich companies, don't have that much choice either. Not everybody is ready to starve for their principle ;).

Skaters aren't going to be impoverished by not going to North Korea; they'll just be less well-off.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

icedance21
02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
It's total propaganda from an extremely oppressive regime. It's absolutely disgusting that these skaters chose to skate there. The things people do for money. :rolleyes:

OrioleBeagle
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
It's total propaganda from an extremely oppressive regime. It's absolutely disgusting that these skaters chose to skate there. The things people do for money. :rolleyes:

I agree!

cholla
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM

I, for one, would NOT go to North Korea to skate in a show, but I've tried to go for other purposes and I'm trying to be a little bit less clearcut than the general opinion here. We are talking about people, not principles nor political ideals. People living in North Korean are actually human beings and victims. Do I have to understand that, according to most of you, it's way better to let them rot under their tyran's iron rules and never set foot in their country ? I don't agree with this. I hope more and more Westerners will get to enter this country, and I don't care under what reason or opportunity, whether it's for money or not (and to me, money is an unfortunate reason but it's an opportunity) so maybe people in North Korea will also have the opportunity to understand that there is another way of living a life than obeying a dictatorship. Maybe it will take ages and centuries, but it's not with letting a country totally closed on itself that totalitarism can be fought. You may disagree, and like Orientalplane, agree to disagree, but calling me a propagandist is unfairly close to an insult. I'm a member of 5 different Human Rights organizations, I've been a volunteer in 2 different countries at war in the last 20 years. That taught me that things are never entirely black or entirely white. Maybe if you were not so eager to get all huffy and sanctimonious, you'd see that there are different approaches to every matter. I'm certainly not supporting any kind of totalitarist views and to me, rejecting an idea en masse and without thinking twice is part of totalitarism. That's why I'll always be keen to play the devils' advocate. I'm an idealist, true, but that doesn't make me a na´ve or someone easy to influence. So propaganda, from wherever it comes, can screw itself. The only thing I wish for these skaters going to North Korea is that they know where they are setting foot. And I've my doubts about it too. But I'm not going to crucify them right away for just going. I also know they'll see nothing of the real life of North Koreans. But at least they can go (and some artists and sportmen make excellent recruitee for foreign intelligence...) when I, as a RH activist, have been declined a visa twice some years ago and asked not to re-apply.

mella
02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
...whole post

:respec:

Finnice
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
:respec:
The whole post of Cholla.

rfisher
02-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I third Cholla's :respec: