PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

rfisher
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
So he wanted all the :bribe: and :judge: without the results, basically?

That's how I'd read it. Plus, he seems willing to let Maria go her own way while he goes his. I wonder if all is not well with the off ice relationship.

Asli
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Vasiliev said sponsors were ready to give them the needed amount of money for the next season. But financial question is only 50-60% of the problem. He wants more political support from federation.

What kind of political support would make him, Maria and Jérôme decide to continue training? A guarantee that they will be on the team next year? He cannot in turn guarantee that M/B will ever become a more or less consistent team, so I don't see the point.

Mr. Vasiliev seems only to remember the last olympic cycle, when M/Trankov were never getting the benefit of the doubt. He seems to have forgotten that when he had a consistent team like Totmianina/Marinin, he enjoyed the full support of the federation. The the federation cannot support him just because he is Vasiliev. That would be politics. ;)

MarieM
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I think the argument regarding time together would have been stronger for them with the federation except for the fact V/T and G/E were together for the same amount of time and Glebova wasn't even a pairs skater to begin with. I have to wonder about work ethic.

They were at least 1 full months behind since they started only this summer when all the others started in April / June.

rfisher
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
They were at least 1 full months behind since they started only this summer when all the others started in April / June.

Yes, but since both were seasoned pairs skaters they should have had the edge on someone who had never skated pairs before. The difference is one of team attacks their programs and the other does not.

julieann
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes, but since both were seasoned pairs skaters they should have had the edge on someone who had never skated pairs before. The difference is one of team attacks their programs and the other does not.

I'm not sure I buy that. Jerome's last competition was at Worlds in 2004, where he placed 11th. Everyone else has been competiting this whole time. Gerboldt may be new to pairs but she is not new to competition and is in great competition form.

Russian Nationals was just one competition and if it were held one month later the outcome could have been totally different. I/M had a bad skate as did M/B; G/E had a seasons best skate. I don't think those placements are in anyway indicitive of how things will be in the future.

M/B should continue to work, there is plenty of time and they look great together.

let`s talk
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Protopopov said to sportsdaily.ru: "The modern pair skating is boring. It's acrobatics, it's not art. It seems like sporstmen don't really care what music they jump with- there is no style, no compositions and no bright images."
www.sportsdaily.ru/articles/dvukratnyie-olimpiyskie-chempionyi-lyudmila-belousova-i-oleg-protopopov-vyishe-gor-mogut-byit-tolko-zvezdyi-42242

equatorial
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Protopopov said to sportsdaily.ru: "The modern pair skating is boring. It's acrobatics, it's not art. It seems like sporstmen don't really care what music they jump with- there is no style, no compositions and no bright images."
www.sportsdaily.ru/articles/dvukratnyie-olimpiyskie-chempionyi-lyudmila-belousova-i-oleg-protopopov-vyishe-gor-mogut-byit-tolko-zvezdyi-42242

He has been saying the same thing for, lemme think, about 40 years now. It all went downhill the moment they were forced to retire :shuffle:

let`s talk
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I couldn't find any reliable link. Is it true that K/S are going to skate in a show in North Korea? I know she is a Russian citizen now. Still, if the rumors are true, and if I am not mistaken, she is going to be the first Japanese who ever skates in North Korea. The relationships between two countries are just :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: Her skate could count as a good sign, at least a very little one. Maybe.

julieann
02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
I couldn't find any reliable link. Is it true that K/S are going to skate in a show in North Korea? I know she is a Russian citizen now. Still, if the rumors are true, and if I am not mistaken, she is going to be the first Japanese who ever skates in North Korea. The relationships between two countries are just :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: Her skate could count as a good sign, at least a very little one. Maybe.

According to a blog in Japanese

February 15-17
20th Annual Paektusan Prize Figure Skating Festival in Pyongyang, NK

There is some stuff on youtube from past years, it looks pretty cool.

ioana
02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Yes, the North Korean gala is usually well attended. Pechalat & Bourzat are going this year, besides K/S and I'm sure a lot of other skaters.

Going back to M/B, I agree with all the previous posters who mentioned Jerome hadn't competed in over 5 years. One of my old coaches got back into competing after a long lay-off and he said it took him a few tries just to get used to pacing himself again with all the adrenaline rush. And this was for a single skater who didn't have to worry about his partner's timing. You can be in very good physical shape otherwise and do shows, but these are two very different things. I hope they take that into account and not rush into a decision to retire.

Fashionista
02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I wonder if all is not well with the off ice relationship.
There're rumors they're done.

BTW Imaikina/Bezmaternykh are done too.

julieann
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Good, I never though they were a good match, I hope he finds someone.

Asli
02-09-2011, 08:57 PM
According to a blog in Japanese

February 15-17
20th Annual Paektusan Prize Figure Skating Festival in Pyongyang, NK

There is some stuff on youtube from past years, it looks pretty cool.

This festival is one of the events held for the birthday celebrations of Kim Jong-il, arguably the worst dictator in the world at the moment and the object of the biggest personality cult ever.

I've first noticed this festival around 2000 when Anissina/Peizerat were participating. Every year some of the best skaters attend. It's disappointing that they don't ask themselves exactly what they are attending.

It would be fine if it were just a skating show in North Korea, but celebrating Kim Jong-il's birthday? :(

loopey
02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
There're rumors they're done.
Maria and Tatiana Totmianina should co-author a book. The similarities are amazing. (Except for the whole medal winning thing...):D

Do you know if he (Bezmaternykh) plans to continue and is looking for another partner?

TAHbKA
02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Do you know if he (Bezmaternykh) plans to continue and is looking for another partner?

Perhaps Mukhortova? :lol: