PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

let`s talk
02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think "release" or "not release" will be on the table if the pair M/B doesn't exist. There simply will be nothing/nobody to release.

rfisher
02-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I see your point, but in addition to the four or five good senior teams, they have so many promising juniors.

Plus assuming that M/B continued skating for Russia, they wouldn't even get GP assignments next year. So what's the point?

Who knows? Who knows what's really going on? This could very well be a power play by the coach for funding and position. Sadly, they wouldn't have needed it if the Nationals results had been better.

As a fan, I'm so excited about Russian pairs. I really wonder if S/S will stay in for the entire cycle to Sochi. The young Chinese team are a marvel now, but if she grows any (which she will unless the Chinese have invented a shrinking potion), she'll out grow him and may not be a contender after all. They are an unknown. The young Japanese team has citizenship issues to be resolved. So in theory, Russia could win all 3 medals in Sochi. What fun this will be to watch the next 3 years.

Asli
02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
rfisher, I agree with you, the pairs are getting very interesting. Hopefully there will be contenders from different countries though, not only Russia. It makes the whole thing more exciting and increases the :drama: factor.

I was surprised to see how motivated and hungry S/S still looked at TEB. I hope they stay till Sochi. Their choreography is the most original IMO and the way they express the programs is unique.

Fashionista
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
That was the case before the Russian Nationals, but do you think the Russian fed would still not release her after their result there?
Absolutely.
RFSF will definitely play it safe.

ioana
02-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh, come on, she had `some mistakes' in a programmes where the content was
3S<
2LzTw3
3LoTh
BiDs1
FCCoSp3
SlSt2
5ALi2
in the SP

I reckon the `improvement' was not attempting the elements she has no chance to perform at the first place. Which doesn't help Blanchard. I.e. I seriously don't see him pairing with any French skater.

To be fair, the < on the SBS jumps in the short program was clearly on Bonheur's part, not hers. I thought seeing Adeline get off the ice and cuss out her mistake on the 2axel sequence (after the long) was a good sign. A few years ago, she just put her head down and looked miserable. This time around, she seemed mad at herself and almost ready to go back out on the ice for a do-over.

I thought the way she approached programs -if not executed them- was definitely improved and maybe that's part of the overall impression mella was referring to. She doesn't look petrified when she takes the ice any more. Which she did when skating with Max Coia, no matter how beautifully their lines matched. I agree that doesn't make her a world elite partner yet, but it is an encouraging sign. Now, if LÚna Marrocco were willing to give pairs a try...

julieann
02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
First Blanchard got back to the sport to skate with Mukhortova. I'm absolutely sure if they break up we won't see him skating neither with James, nor with Canac.

I agree. I think he only got back into competitive skating so he could be trained by someone like Oleg and skate with someone like Maria, who was already an accomplished skater.

Their potential is obvious, they just need time for Jerome to adjust to skating in competitions, time to adjust to skating with one another and to shake off a terrible skate at their first major competition. I think whoever compares their team to V/T and even G/E is not right because the teams and their pasts are vastly different.

I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did not. One of the other teams could be injured or something. I'm betting they hold on to all teams until closer till 2014. It's not fair to the skaters, but federations look at the bigger picture.

I think the Russian Federation is wiser not to be so short sided in the future. If they put all their eggs in the basket of one team and something stupid happens like one of the pair breaks an ankle right before the Olympics, they don't want to be screwed. So it's best have a few good prospects.

TAHbKA
02-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I thought the way she approached programs -if not executed them- was definitely improved and maybe that's part of the overall impression mella was referring to.
Good point. Both yours and mella's, which I missed.

pinky166
02-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Now, if LÚna Marrocco were willing to give pairs a try...

I wish she would! I think she would be great in pairs and would likely go a lot farther than she will in singles.

TAHbKA
02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Vasiliev: I'm fed up with all that crap. Interview by Inessa Rasskazova (http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/436583)
After Jerome Blanchard will come back he, Maria Mukhortova and their coach Oleg Vasiliev will meet again. But the odds they'll continue working are low.

According to Vasiliev Blanchard will either go back skating in the show or will work in the family business. Mukhortova's destiny is less obvious, according to Vasiliev she has two choices: look for a partner or turn professional.

IR: Will Mukhortova leave the Russian team?
OV: If she decides to look for a partner I'm willing to help and advice. If she decides to skate in the shows I can advice on, say, programmes choreography. But the key figure in the decision will be the agent, who will be looking for the offers, contracts. The same applies to Blanchard.

IR: If she decides to look for a partner will you agree to coach?
OV: It will mainly be up to Maria. Well, myself as well. I don't have an answer right now. This is why I went to Chicago - I wanted to be away and have a different perspective. I'm not even sure I want to go on coaching. I'm tired of all that crap. I'm tired of the politics and the :wall:. I love figure skating, but I've been long bothered by all that is going on around.

IR: Is the lack of financial support the main reason for Mukhortova/Blanchard's split?
OV: 50-60% it is. There are other reasons.

IR: You mentioned you counted on the Federation's support. What sort of support?
OV: If I was fired from my position as a coach in May what sort of support can I expect? It was obvious back then there would be no support. Even the moral support is important. The pair that is not supported even by their own federation will never win anything important. Everyone knows: the judges marks at the Europeans and the Worlds are combined not only by the elements execution, but also the pair's placement in their country is taken into an account, whether they are supported by the federation. It is possible to win with the skating only, without any moral-political support. Hard, but possible. In theory that is. In real life, being a pair on a high level and more or less equal to the others the pair would have to be twice better. Which is a science fiction. Of course all am saying has nothing to do with the Russian Nationals 2011 in Saransk. That was our own screw up.

IR: Perhaps someone couldn't handle the pressure? Let me jump to a conclusion it was Maria.
OV: You're wrong. She broke down in the mixed zone after the unsuccessful skate. But after the New Year we met again - the whole team - the skaters, yours truly, pr managers, the sponsors. Maria was very eager to go on working. The sponsors were willing to go on supporting us even though I showed how much it would be. I.e. on January 7th all was still great. But about a week or two ago I saw that Jerome is really down. I can't say he decided not to skate, but there was no fire. And there was a long road ahead of us. A 12 months long. Till the next Nationals. In 6 months I was trying to create from `Peaugeaut' and `Marusia' (assume there is such a Russian car?) a car that would be able to compete in `Formula 1' beats me why giving examples from the motor cars. Does he really think figure skating fans would understand more in cars than in skaters?? I wouldn't be able to differentiate a peaugeaut (I probably can't even spell it) from jaguar unless it's written in big letters somewhere.... It turned out the car was gorgeous and could actually go, but if you speed up a bit the wheels are breaking off and the engine sneezes. It's hard to name just one reason, but after we saw the whole picture, after all the pieces of the puzzle came to their places it turned out there are a bit too many `a little bits' that are missing.

IR: If you leave figure skating, what will you do?
OV: I love figure skating. I could never become a taxi driver in NY or a mover in Chicago. In the last couple of years I received many suggestions one way or another related to figure skating. I had to decline because I was totally focused on the pairs: Totmianina/Marinin, Mukhortova/Trankov and, eventually, Mukhortova/Blanchard. I will be going to Asia, California and Florida. Then back to Chicago and then - back to my hometown St. Petersburg. I will try to estimate what is the state of all those projects and then will decide. So allow me to repeat: right now - I dont' know.

IR: There are rumours about your possible work with Ilushechkina/Maisuradze
OV: Yet another speculation. I had no contacts with the skaters from Pavlova's group.

Finnice
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Vasiliev: I'm fed up with all that crap (http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/436583)
translation to come...

Soon! Soon! :2faced:

TAHbKA
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Finnice, soon enough? :P

senorita
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Probably off topic but I just saw the candidate Sochi mascots on FB :)
http://www.facebook.com/andreas.ebling#!/album.php?aid=268523&id=143539188860

Finnice
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Finnice, soon enough? :P

Yes!:P Thanks a lot!
Would you sit in Vasiliev┤s taxi if it would be Peugeot?

Domshabfan
02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I found this video of Kavaguti/Smirnov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fCRgZp-6w) from Gala practice at the Europeans. They deserve a gold medal just to let the organisers know how they feel without raising a voice, very Gandhian of them.

Tiger of polar bear please...tiger has cute, slightly cunning eyes... No to penguin, Father frost or Twitter bird.

i would love Misha to make a comeback

TAHbKA
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM

But where is their amazing Зойч (http://www.mr-mr.ru/uploads/2010/09/zoich.jpg)?