PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

bek
02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
You actually don't know either. Blanchard has many reasons not to trust FFSG. That doesn't mean he can't reconsider competing for France. But considering he turned down several offers before Mukhortova, one may think he's not going to jump on a new one, whoever makes it. That's not an actual fact, only an educated guess.

Whether or not Blanchard likes the French federation or not, the fact of the matter is right now he has a much better shot of competiting internationally for France than he does for Russia. He and Maria are fools not to think of it because they could probably get funding too. (The whole no competition thing is just stupid Oleg, seeing as they will have plenty of competition internationally)

cholla
02-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Whether or not Blanchard likes the French federation or not, the fact of the matter is right now he has a much better shot of competiting internationally for France than he does for Russia.

Really ? I'm not saying you're totally wrong to think so but this is certainly not a "fact". Is Mukhortova ready to switch country ? How will she support herself in France ? What about their coach ? Is the French Fed ready to hire a Russian coach as expensive as Vassiliev ? Would Vassiliev agree ? All the potential pair coaches, aka former pair skaters, are more or less persona non grata at FFSG. That doesn't leave much choice. Except if you want to train on your own, or during public opening hours like Canac/Bonheur had to do not so long ago. Welcome back to France Jérôme...

He and Maria are fools not to think of it because they could probably get funding too.
Blanchard is everything BUT a fool. What makes you think they haven't think of it ? About the funding, it's not that easy at all, unfortunately. And if Blanchard was to skate again for France, I doubt it would be with Mukhortova...

bek
02-07-2011, 12:43 AM
I think I didn't clarify myself enough. I don't know for sure that they could get funding from France but I think that's more likely than from Russia, and didn't Didier say he wanted them.

I think they are fools if they don't realize skating for France is their best opportunity to skate at the international level.

I was more using the fool thing to, because of Vasiliev's whole why they shouldn't skate for France argument.

I can understand if Blanchard doesn't want to deal with the French federation, but I think it comes down to whether or not he wants to skate internationally. If he wants to skate at the international level, surely putting up with them is better than not getting to compete at all. JMO.

Yukari Lepisto
02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Can someone clarify what exactly happened between Blanchard and French figure skating federation that'd make him dislike them this much?

Artifice
02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I think I didn't clarify myself enough. I don't know for sure that they could get funding from France but I think that's more likely than from Russia, and didn't Didier say he wanted them.

I think they are fools if they don't realize skating for France is their best opportunity to skate at the international level.

I was more using the fool thing to, because of Vasiliev's whole why they shouldn't skate for France argument.

I can understand if Blanchard doesn't want to deal with the French federation, but I think it comes down to whether or not he wants to skate internationally. If he wants to skate at the international level, surely putting up with them is better than not getting to compete at all. JMO.

I understood what you meant, it was clear that you didn't use the word "fool" to qualify him as a dumb person. And I myself think that considering an option doesn't mean one is going to jump into it without thinking carefully at first.

The facts are what they are : it will be much easier to skate internationaly for France than for Russia, and experience in life shows that it is a mistake to close doors too fast before even considering the new situation.
By the way, past problem, trust issue or not, what can Blanchard expect from Russia now ? Not much more than he thinks he can get from France, so....

I tend to think that a partnership with Canac would be good, at least in term of lines and overall skating style. Or with James wich could be good to because she is so strong. Well, actually the FFSG should do whatever they can to get Blanchard back in France, he is the best partner they could find now.

mella
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I tend to think that a partnership with Canac would be good, at least in term of lines and overall skating style. Or with James wich could be good to because she is so strong. Well, actually the FFSG should do whatever they can to get Blanchard back in France, he is the best partner they could find now.

Is my memory correct that Blanchard already turned down the opportunity to skate with James? I thought really he had stopped searching for a partner and had settled to coaching in Russia before the proposal came from Mukhortova?

Logic would follow that if he has already said he does not which to skate with James (who seems to be relatively consistent as a pairs skater) would he be that keen to move back to France to skate with Canac from a consistency point of view? On paper James looks like the better bet for a strong partnership. Although Mukhortova might have been seen as inconsistent, her inconsistency as a skater in the top five in Europe isn't really comparable to Canac as a top 12 in Europe skater. Aside from the lines and the "look" would Canac be considered a strong partner for someone like Blanchard? All of that assumes that his reasoning for saying "no" to James relates to consistency, strength as a partner etc, which of course it may not have done.

If he and Mukhortova wanted to skate for France that isn't just a paper change (assuming the goal remains Sochi) they would presumably have to change their training base to France and find a coach there so that Maria would have a chance of getting citizenship? That would mean a break with Vasiliev which seems very unlikely given all the circumstances and everything that has happened to get them all to this point...

senorita
02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
AOI was great show, one of the kind.
This pic (http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3813/5417281686691fb88593b30.jpg)is my fav ever.:swoon:

Mukhortova/Blanchard are done.
http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20110204/330392594.html
Ouch, I didnt expect it so fast.
MAria:wuzrobbed

Artifice
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Is my memory correct that Blanchard already turned down the opportunity to skate with James? I thought really he had stopped searching for a partner and had settled to coaching in Russia before the proposal came from Mukhortova?

Logic would follow that if he has already said he does not which to skate with James (who seems to be relatively consistent as a pairs skater) would he be that keen to move back to France to skate with Canac from a consistency point of view. On paper James looks like the better bet for a strong partnership. Although Mukhortova might have been seen as inconsistent, her inconsistency as a skater in the top five in Europe isn't really comparable to Canac as a top 12 in Europe skater. Aside from the lines and the "look" would Canac be considered a strong partner for someone like Blanchard? All of that assumes that his reasoning for saying "no" to James relates to consistency, strength as a partner etc, which of course it may not have done.

If he and Mukhortova wanted to skate for France that isn't just a paper change (assuming the goal remains Sochi) they would presumably have to change their training base to France and find a coach there so that Maria would have a chance of getting citizenship? That would mean a break with Vasiliev which seems very unlikely given all the circumstances and everything that has happened to get them all to this point...

Who knows ? Things can change and anything can happen IMO... Canac known for her problems on jumps appears to have gained some strenghts in that area this year, so it all depends on Blanchard's will to pursue skating competitively or not. After that there are several possible combinations and suprprises are something quite common in FS.

AOI was great show, one of the kind.
This pic (http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3813/5417281686691fb88593b30.jpg)is my fav ever.:swoon:

OMG :eek: That is huge !

mella
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Who knows ? Things can change and anything can happen IMO... Canac known for her problems on jumps appears to have gained some strenghts in that area this year, so it all depends on Blanchard's will to pursue skating competitively or not. After that there are several possible combinations and suprprises are something quite common in FS.

This is true re: Canac I thought she was much improved at Euros although there were still some mistakes. Unfortunately her partner was still showing the same jump problems as the past quite consistently!

OMG :eek: That is huge !

And if I recall correctly from watching it over the weekend it was beautifully caught and dismounted!

TAHbKA
02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
This is true re: Canac I thought she was much improved at Euros although there were still some mistakes. Unfortunately her partner was still showing the same jump problems as the past quite consistently!

Oh, come on, she had `some mistakes' in a programmes where the content was
3S<
2LzTw3
3LoTh
BiDs1
FCCoSp3
SlSt2
5ALi2
in the SP and

3S<
2LzTw2
5ALi2
3FTh
FCCoSp4
1A<+COMBO
ChSp1
4Li3
3LoTh
BoDs1
PCoSp1
5SLi4
in the LP

I reckon the `improvement' was not attempting the elements she has no chance to perform at the first place. Which doesn't help Blanchard. I.e. I seriously don't see him pairing with any French skater.

mella
02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, come on, she had `some mistakes' in a programmes where the content was
3S<
2LzTw3
3LoTh
BiDs1
FCCoSp3
SlSt2
5ALi2
in the SP and

3S<
2LzTw2
5ALi2
3FTh
FCCoSp4
1A<+COMBO
ChSp1
4Li3
3LoTh
BoDs1
PCoSp1
5SLi4
in the LP

I reckon the `improvement' was not attempting the elements she has no chance to perform at the first place. Which doesn't help Blanchard. I.e. I seriously don't see him pairing with any French skater.

Well that does explain it! I guess I wasn't really thinking about the detailed content, just the overall impression that she delivered more than he did :lol: and wasn't quite the hot mess I remember from the past.

But overall my original point is the same. Which was that she wouldn't make much sense as a partner for Blanchard given her level compared to others who he has been asked to consider or, in the case of Mukhortova, has agreed to skate with.

ETA - A bit off topic but the above really does emphasise how hopeless the situation with Bonheur is... Does the content reflect his basic level or hers?!?! (taking into account they might deliver differently in practice than in competition).

Fashionista
02-07-2011, 12:34 PM
First Blanchard got back to the sport to skate with Mukhortova. I'm absolutely sure if they break up we won't see him skating neither with James, nor with Canac.
Second Russia won't release Mukhortova to skate for France thus if they decide to switch countries anyway they'll have to sit at home till 2012/2013 season. It's not like France has a lot of inside competitions during the season (unlike Russia for example with its Russian cup series and other small events with decent competitors) so they won't get enough competitive practice either. I wonder considering all these obstacles what you think they should hope for at 2013 Worlds or Sochi olympics?

Asli
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Second Russia won't release Mukhortova to skate for France thus if they decide to switch countries anyway they'll have to sit at home till 2012/2013 season.

That was the case before the Russian Nationals, but do you think the Russian fed would still not release her after their result there?

rfisher
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
That was the case before the Russian Nationals, but do you think the Russian fed would still not release her after their result there?

I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did not. One of the other teams could be injured or something. I'm betting they hold on to all teams until closer till 2014. It's not fair to the skaters, but federations look at the bigger picture.

Asli
02-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did not. One of the other teams could be injured or something. I'm betting they hold on to all teams until closer till 2014. It's not fair to the skaters, but federations look at the bigger picture.

I see your point, but in addition to the four or five good senior teams, they have so many promising juniors.

Plus assuming that M/B continued skating for Russia, they wouldn't even get GP assignments next year. So what's the point?