PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Grand Prix dates on the ISU website

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Debbie S
02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I wonder how many of the top 6 would want to do 3 GPs.Agree, not a good idea. And decreasing the number of spots in singles and dance is wrong on many levels. With decreased spots on both the JGP and SGP, it's going to be harder for skaters to break in to the top competitive ranks, esp with the score mins for the major int'ls. I imagine this will increase the demand for Senior B's, but are feds going to be willing to start/sponsor a comp in an era of declining revenue?

The ISU sucks! :mad:

julieann
02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
By limiting the total number of entires, yet allowing the top-6 of Worlds skate in 3 events, it sounds as if the ISU is trying to create lasting 'stars' (Kwans and Plushenkos). Such manipulations rarely work.

I think maybe they want to avoid what happened last year in regards to withdraws especially in pairs. When 3 pairs that are in the top 6 of the world drop out, and then more teams from there; they really needed to scrounge around to find pairs to even compete. It would have been more fair to allow some to compete more than twice. No one shows up at competitions where you have no top stars in lieu of Ivanova/Zalevski from Bulgaria. It sounds harsh but it is a business and if they can't even make a minimum score who would pay to watch?

Maybe they should change the rules about who goes to what and allowing a team to compete if there is an opening and a withdrawal. No system is perfect. I think they are just trying to incorporate a higher standard.

SpeedySucks
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
I wonder how many of the top 6 would want to do 3 GPs.

Whether or not they want to, I'm sure that many will do 3 events just because of the prize money available.

peibeck
02-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Is the ISU trying to kill the sport?

Honestly!!!

If the ISU is viewing this as a cost savings measure it is ridiculous. They would be better off cutting one of the GP events and then allowing the same or even more skaters to participate in the remaining GPs.

I hate the 3 events option for the top skaters as well. However, I guess the ISU is reasoning that perhaps "name" skaters at more events will sell more tickets? I think it just opens the door for more skater fatigue and injury.

Stupid ISU. :mad:

Skate Talker
02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
...It sounds harsh but it is a business and if they can't even make a minimum score who would pay to watch? ...

Basically I agree with everything you said but wanted to point out that just because a team doesn't yet have a minimum score they aren't necessarily a team that cannot achieve the minimum score, possibly just a team/skater who has yet to have the opportunity to do so. Case in point Vol/Tran. I would pay to watch them. Another who immediately springs to mind is Elladj Balde - I am sure there are many more gems out there who are getting less and less chances. This is what is worrying me.

Aside from that I get pretty darned bored even with the top skaters when they get so overexposed.

sandra_persch
02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Basically I agree with everything you said but wanted to point out that just because a team doesn't yet have a minimum score they aren't necessarily a team that cannot achieve the minimum score, possibly just a team/skater who has yet to have the opportunity to do so. Case in point Vol/Tran.

Which is why its absolutely the right decision to have the autumn internationals count again. at team / skaters may not have reached the score the previous season but if they achieve it the current season they still have a chance.

julieann
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Basically I agree with everything you said but wanted to point out that just because a team doesn't yet have a minimum score they aren't necessarily a team that cannot achieve the minimum score, possibly just a team/skater who has yet to have the opportunity to do so. Case in point Vol/Tran. I would pay to watch them. Another who immediately springs to mind is Elladj Balde - I am sure there are many more gems out there who are getting less and less chances. This is what is worrying me.

Aside from that I get pretty darned bored even with the top skaters when they get so overexposed.

V/T are a whole different nut, because of quarantine and such, they knew that going in to the partnership.

In pairs, I think the ISU just wants some sort of higher standard on the senior Grand Prix and I really don't blame them. Maybe they should do away with the label of Jr. and Sr. and just use minimum scores. Most of the teams affected are juniors and they can still go to the Jr. Grand Prix and Jr. GPF until they get their minimum score.

I understand not seeing hidden gems at the senior GP but if they can't even get a total score that is higher than many seniors free skate, I question them being their in the first place until they get better. Like someone getting booted from the major leagues to the minor leagues in baseball. (I don't watch baseball so I hope I use the analogy right)

I would rather see teams who had to drop out because of illness or lost skates have the opportunity to have a make-up competition other than just being out of luck, that is equally not fair if not more unfair.

talulabell
02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Aint that the truth. I remember the good old days when you actually knew more than a year ahead of time and they sold tickets for the following year at the current SA....the announcements just get later and later every year.

I remember those good ol' days as well. At the minimum, you knew where SA would be next year, at this years event.

I asked at the USFS booth in Greensboro, and they said they would announce it in March. Now, didnt they say the same thing last year, but the announcement came much later?

kwanfan1818
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
minimum score will be implemented at 2/3 of the previous season top score ... example Pairs S/S currently first with 210.72 so minimum score would be 140.48

minimum score can be achieved in the previous season or at the autumn internationals like Nebelhorn Trophy[/url]
Is the minimum score based on the highest per season, which is usually at one of the championships, or based on the highest score at the GP?

I'm also interested in learning whether this applies to host picks. It will send skaters who've had to sit out

If a newly formed team that qualified under the placement-with-former-partner-rule for a GP spot competed in a fall event and had a valid minimum score, they'd be inserted on the list based on the results?

[QUOTE=sandra_persch;3072608]massive change to the substitution rules
the list is updated after each ISU senior event and published on the ISU homepage. if a skater or pair withdraws the first one in the ranking of the substitute list has to be invited. no more replacing with the lowest ranked skaters on the list. it has to be the number 1 on the list of substitutes.
Does the list include skaters who've only been given one GP? Does that mean the highest-ranked get two automatically before anyone else gets one? The field will already be smaller in singles and dance, and the top skaters can take up additional spots.

Can the skaters turn it down? For example, if they are revamping a program or their training is at a critical stage, could they turn down a last-minute invitation to fly across the world? Can they be forced to go to back-to-back competitions with 32-hours connections?

The easy way to game this is to wait until it's too late to get visas.

Aimless
02-14-2011, 09:45 PM
When is the location for SA likely to be announced? I want to know if it's worth saving some holiday for. I'm hoping it will be somewhere east...

Last year the announcement of Portland as the 2010 SA location came on/around March 18. I'm hoping for the east too.

barbk
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
I really like being able to use a fall international to establish a qualifying score for substitutes. Great idea.

euterpe
02-14-2011, 11:00 PM
minimum score will be implemented at 2/3 of the previous season top score ... example Pairs S/S currently first with 210.72 so minimum score would be 140.48

Interesting....On the current Seasons Best List, that would eliminate all the pairs from #23 on:

23 139.94 Klara KADLECOVA / Petr BIDAR CZE
24 138.55 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN
25 136.85 Tatiana NOVIK / Mikhail KUZNETSOV RUS
26 134.14 Ashley CAIN / Joshua REAGAN USA
27 133.08 Taylor STEELE / Robert SCHULTZ CAN
28 131.77 Natasha PURICH / Raymond SCHULTZ CAN
29 131.04 Brittany JONES / Kurtis GASKELL CAN
30 131.03 Anna SILAEVA / Artur MINCHUK RUS
31 129.26 Huibo DONG / Yiming WU CHN
32 128.04 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR
33 127.48 Felicia ZHANG / Taylor TOTH USA
34 125.39 Ekaterina PETAIKINA / Maxim KURDUYKOV RUS
35 125.34 Adeline CANAC / Yannick BONHEUR FRA
36 123.45 Kylie DUARTE / Colin GRAFTON USA
37 121.13 Tatiana DANILOVA / Andrei NOVOSELOV RUS
38 120.72 Lubov BAKIROVA / Nikalai KAMIANCHUK BLR
39 118.06 Katharina GIEROK / Florian JUST GER
40 117.69 Kristen TIKEL / Ian BEHARRY CAN
41 117.36 Brynn CARMAN / AJ REISS USA
42 115.53 Carolina GILLESPIE / Luca DEMATTE ITA
43 115.15 Kaleigh HOLE / Adam JOHNSON CAN
44 114.62 Cassie ANDREWS / Timothy LEDUC USA
45 113.24 Mandy GARZA / Brandon FRAZIER USA
46 112.75 Alexandra VASILIEVA / Yuri SHEVCHUK RUS

Kiss My 1040
02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I can live without all of those skaters.

oleada
02-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Kadlecova/Bidar seemed really promising, and were really enjoyable at Euros. I'd hate not to see them compete internationally because of some new stupid rules.

Kelvster
02-15-2011, 01:14 AM
indeed, Kadlecova/Bidar are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute as a couple