PDA

View Full Version : ISU MINIMUM SCORE RULE POLL: KEEP OR DUMP

Pages : [1] 2 3

haribobo
01-23-2011, 01:08 AM
IMO this ISU minimum TES score rule is for the birds. Adriana DeSanctis can't go to 4CC because Skate Canada never bothered to send her out this year to get the min score, and now she can't do GP next year, sans SC. I mean, who is this rule helping? Curious what others think though.

MikiAndoFan#1
01-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Dump! :soapbox: :mitchell:

Jenna
01-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Well...to be honest I don't think the skaters who can't rotate a double double jump combination belong at an ISU championship...just my opinion of course. I don't think it should prevent skaters like Adriana from competing, though. Skate Canada just needs to do a better job of sending their skaters out to Senior B Comps perhaps..

elfenblüte
01-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Dump!

Everyone should have the chance to compete at ISU Championships, their technical ability should not care.
Sometimes i like "obscure" skaters much more than the better skaters, i like their music and choreography!
I think the minimum score rule will damage the sport in many smaller federations in the future.

julieann
01-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Dump it, or make the minimum score higher, it's so low now anyway.

Lanna
01-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Well...to be honest I don't think the skaters who can't rotate a double double jump combination belong at an ISU championship...just my opinion of course.

That's not exactly the issue at hand, and probalby will never be an issue at hand: the requirement is a minimum score, not a minimum jumping qualification.

And those skaters would've been relegated to early SP groups and never make the FS, so it's not like people who don't want to watch them would be forced to view them in between viewing skaters land quads or 3-3s fall on quads or 3-3 who have higher scoring potential.

And there's definitely a Yao Bin argument to make about skaters who are the best in their countries but nowhere close to the best in the world being able to compete amongst the best in the world. It's the World Championships, not the "Grand Prix Countries Plus A Couple Others" Championships.

I don't think it should prevent skaters like Adriana from competing, though. Skate Canada just needs to do a better job of sending their skaters out to Senior B Comps perhaps..

It's just that now, countries like the USA, JPN, CAN, RUS, etc, who have large fields, have to send out all of their skaters to international events at least once every two years. Just in case one of them has a breakthrough season.

victoriaheidi
01-23-2011, 03:59 AM
I don't see any benefit. I don't see how having skaters from developing federations-or whatever you want to call them-will hurt the major competition. And I don't see why someone who's great (best in his or her nation) should be kept home because s/he wasn't given the opportunity to go out earlier in the season.

danafan
01-23-2011, 04:06 AM
At the very least they should waive the minimum score for 4CCs and Europeans to allow a skater/team to make the score at that event prior to worlds - especially if you have a breakthrough season domestically (ie Adriana DeSanctis at Canadians this year) or if you were out with injury and unable to compete internationally the last two seasons in order to get the score, despite having done so numerous times in previous seasons (ie Elladj Balde!)
(Canadian championship potential spoilers)

Jenna
01-23-2011, 04:13 AM
I understand your point, Lara. There is something to be said about a Yao Bin type of situation...and every federation's top athlete, regardless of jumping ability, should ideally be able to participate.

I think we all know the reason this rule was implemented by the ISU...to save time and money.

vodkashot
01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
I think we all know the reason this rule was implemented by the ISU...to save time and money.

Yep, this seems to be the logic behind the majority of the ISU's decisions....:blah:

barbk
01-23-2011, 07:16 PM
If federations had been better about not sending tremendously unqualified skaters to Worlds this might not ever have been implemented. Skaters with one or two triple jumps don't belong competing at Worlds, and their federations should have instead sent them to Senior B competitions.

There needs to be more opportunities for skaters to meet minimum qualifying standards, but making sure that entrants to the World Championships are actually competent competitors is a reasonable goal.

I don't think that Eddie the Eagle was a good standard, and I'm glad that ski jumping put standards in place after that to ensure that they wouldn't again waste time with seriously underqualified entrants.

Lanna
01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
If federations had been better about not sending tremendously unqualified skaters to Worlds this might not ever have been implemented. Skaters with one or two triple jumps don't belong competing at Worlds, and their federations should have instead sent them to Senior B competitions.

What makes you think they weren't being sent there already? A lot of obscure skaters go to senior B competitions.

barbk
01-23-2011, 07:22 PM
I'd have to look at the lists again, but there were a number of skaters in singles at Worlds last year who had not competed in a GP or Senior B event last season.

danafan
01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
The problem is though, for countries with a lot of depth across the disciplines (like Canada and the US, who almost exclusively choose teams from nationals results), if someone surprises and has a breakthrough performance but was not previously ranked high enough to compete internationally, they won't have the ISU score. Yet I think it's safe to say that any skater good enough to qualify for US and Canadian championships is more than capable of getting the minimum score.

The best solution for an American and Canadian standpoint would be to get one of the major summer events recognized as an ISU event.

Seerek
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I think Skate Canada should consider having a mini-National GP series like they do in Russia to monitor skaters earlier in the season just in case someone new is identified and can be sent to a late fall B international.