PDA

View Full Version : Gus Lussi question

Pages : [1] 2 3

manleywoman
01-22-2011, 03:28 AM
I was just doing research on David Jenkins, and poking around Wikipedia when i came across this:

In April 1990, a documentary film Gustave Lussi: The Man Who Changed Skating was shown on the PBS television network. The documentary was conceived and co-produced by his former student Cecily Morrow and produced by station WCFE-TV.
Does anyone have a copy of this documentary? I'd love to see it. Thanks

dr.frog
01-22-2011, 07:05 AM
I do recall having seen this documentary on TV at the time it came out, but I was not really into collecting skating tapes back then. Now, of course, I am :wuzrobbed at not having saved a copy of it.

Main thing I remember about it was Dorothy Hamill saying something like, if Lussi told you to jump out a window, you'd go ahead and do it -- and make darn sure you were doing it with your head held high and toes pointed. :lol: I also vaguely recall some footage of Lussi sitting in a chair giving spin tips to Paul Wylie and Tracey Damigella.

aliceanne
01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I do recall having seen this documentary on TV at the time it came out, but I was not really into collecting skating tapes back then. Now, of course, I am :wuzrobbed at not having saved a copy of it.

Main thing I remember about it was Dorothy Hamill saying something like, if Lussi told you to jump out a window, you'd go ahead and do it -- and make darn sure you were doing it with your head held high and toes pointed. :lol: I also vaguely recall some footage of Lussi sitting in a chair giving spin tips to Paul Wylie and Tracey Damigella.

That sounds like those instructional tapes that are still being sold in VHS format. They featured Paul Wylie, Tracy Damigella, Cecily Morrow, and another female skater. I believe Dick Button and Dorothy offered reminiscences. I had a coach who took lessons from Lussi and loaned the spin tapes to me (great instructional tapes btw). Cecily Morrow produced them, I think there are 3 or 4 of them.

If this is what you are looking for try Rainbow Sports.

aliceanne
01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
I just looked it up. It is "Gustave Lussi Systemic Figure Skating" there are 4 volumes. It looks like it has gone out of production so you'll have to go to various places to find each volume. Rainbo has volumeII.

I remember it also had clips of Curry, Cousins, and Fratianne as well. I was hoping it would come out in DVD, but it looks like it is going away.

If you are a non-skater you may want to try one video first - it is primarily an instructional video.

skatesindreams
01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
PM sent!

manleywoman
01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I was hoping it would come out in DVD, but it looks like it is going away.

Which is tragic, because I used to have two of the tapes (lost them in my last house move :() and they are amazing. I wish they'd be released on DVD. Every coach should see those, especially the flying sit spin instruction. I want them again, but not on VHS if I can avoid it. I never saw he other two instructional vids.

But I was hoping someone might have a copy of the documentary on Lussi himself. Sigh.

aliceanne
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Which is tragic, because I used to have two of the tapes (lost them in my last house move :() and they are amazing. I wish they'd be released on DVD. Every coach should see those, especially the flying sit spin instruction. I want them again, but not on VHS if I can avoid it. I never saw he other two instructional vids.

But I was hoping someone might have a copy of the documentary on Lussi himself. Sigh.

There is a photo studio near me that converts tapes to dvd. I am going to try them out with my tape of John Curry's Ice Dancing. The online places make you sign that copyrighted tapes are only for personal use, so I hope they will do it. If it is worthwhile I'll round up the Lussi tapes and do it.

Screenie
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I have one of the tapes, I didn't know there were 4. I think I bought it in the mid-90s in Lake Placid. He taught an interesting entrance to spins that was basically: LFI, put your right foot under it to be on a RFO, 3 turn, back crossover, spin. He felt it centered the spin better.

smileyskate
01-24-2011, 03:31 AM
I'd love to see those too.
Since it was shown on PBS, perhaps you can contact the station and see if they have any suggestions. Maybe they would even re-air the broadcast if they felt there was enough interest. It is a long shot but I do know that people make these requests for programs aired long ago. Also, since they need $, perhaps they are able to sell copies for a certain price, like you see them do all the time for certain programs.

Kelleys6th
01-24-2011, 04:12 AM
The thing that amazes me about Gus Lussi is that he was not a figure skater. He was a ski jumper!
A little factoid and good trivia question!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Lussi

:cat:

Lacey
01-24-2011, 04:18 AM
I just sent Gus Lussi through Wiki. Read the article all the way, it talks about his former students at the top and more at the bottom. For instance, Priscilla Hill. I might try contacting some of his former students, such as Priscilla, who are current coaches.

BittyBug
01-24-2011, 05:12 AM
I have one of the tapes, I didn't know there were 4. I think I bought it in the mid-90s in Lake Placid. He taught an interesting entrance to spins that was basically: LFI, put your right foot under it to be on a RFO, 3 turn, back crossover, spin. He felt it centered the spin better.One of the coaches at my rink trained with Lussi and she was a fanatic about this setup. And there was no arm wind up. Very weird, but it definitely worked for her. (Not so much for me.)

aliceanne
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
One of the coaches at my rink trained with Lussi and she was a fanatic about this setup. And there was no arm wind up. Very weird, but it definitely worked for her. (Not so much for me.)

What I found useful about the tapes is that each skill is broken down step by step and you get to see skaters try them repeatedly.

I always had a problem dropping my arms upon entering a camel spin and would have to readjust. After watching the tapes I noticed that Cecily Morrow held her arms high on entering the spin and they naturally dropped to the correct position. I tried this and it solved my problem. This might not be a useful technique for someone who doesn't have that problem.

orbitz
01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Both Paul Wylie and Dorothy Hamill trained under Lussi? They both have similar techniques for their scratch spins and both do great ones. I wonder why we don't see many more skaters with similar scratch spin. Surely Mr. Lussi must have taught spin to more students than just Paul and Dorothy.

aliceanne
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Both Paul Wylie and Dorothy Hamill trained under Lussi? They both have similar techniques for their scratch spins and both do great ones. I wonder why we don't see many more skaters with similar scratch spin. Surely Mr. Lussi must have taught spin to more students than just Paul and Dorothy.

Lussi wasn't a primary coach. Other coaches sent their students to him to solve technical problems. Button, Curry, Cousins, Hamil, Wylie were some of his notable students. He primarily helped Curry with his jumps.

I think most skaters and coaches picked the methods they found useful from Lussi's system.