PDA

View Full Version : Two suns - interesting astronomy stuff.

Aussie Willy
01-21-2011, 01:50 AM
I found this article fascinating. Saying that the star Betelgeuse will explode, meaning the earth will have two suns soon.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/tatooines-twin-suns-coming-to-a-planet-near-you-just-as-soon-as-betelgeuse-explodes/story-e6frfhk6-1225992110490

missflick
01-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Interesting. Is Betelgeuse pronounced like a certain Michael Keaton movie, or am I an idiot? :slinkaway:

PeterG
01-21-2011, 03:18 AM
...the earth will have two suns soon.

From the article:

The bad news is, it could also happen in a million years. But who's counting?

So the question of the day is...what is the life expectancy of the average Australian??? :eek:

nerdycool
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Interesting. Is Betelgeuse pronounced like a certain Michael Keaton movie, or am I an idiot? :slinkaway:No, you're not an idiot. I was always taught that it's pronounced the same.

LuckyCharm
01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Interesting. Is Betelgeuse pronounced like a certain Michael Keaton movie, or am I an idiot? :slinkaway:

No, you're not an idiot. I was always taught that it's pronounced the same.

In fact, the character's name in the movie was actually spelled "Betelgeuse" but they (wisely) changed it in the title.

Fascinating article. The photo and caption made my day.:)

BYTCH
01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Wow, very cool. Endless sunshine for weeks--doesn't sound healthy, but folks can get some great tans if they are so inclined. I liked the part where the explosion will send neutrinos to deposit gold and silver in our planet. :respec:

Now that will give the media a great 24 hour news cycle!!

rfisher
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
From the article:

So the question of the day is...what is the life expectancy of the average Australian??? :eek:

:rofl: