PDA

View Full Version : The Monkees, thoughts, sentiments, favourite story, song, whatever ...

Pages : [1] 2

Zokko!
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
The Monkees, part of my childhood, Davy Jones my first love, Peter Tork my favourite character (now), "fairytale" my fav. story plus Liberace destroying a piano in another ... really, REALLY!!! love a few songs from "Head" plus "Daydream Believer" and "Steppin' Stone" ... AND YOU??? :swoon:

Buzz
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Somebody just gave away how old she is! hehehe The Monkees were a bit before my time but I do remember hearing Daydream Believer all the time on the radio when I was younger. Still love that song! Didn't they also have a comedy tv show as well?

Reuven
01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
1966. Everybody trying to cash in on The Beatles success. So the Monkees were assembled for TV. Some wag called them “The Pre-Fab Four." "Pleasant Vally Sunday,” “Saturday’s Child” and “Valleri” are perhaps my favourite tunes. Just slight difference of opinion, Zokko. Paul Revere and The Raiders “Steppin’ Stone” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqLVy_H7mo&feature=related) was much more powerful. Listen to Mark Lindsay’s growl of a delivery.

falling_dance
01-21-2011, 12:04 AM
My mother never forgave my grandmother for giving away her Monkees sweatshirt.

numbers123
01-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Yes - they were assembled for TV and really didn't have any intentions of them singing/playing their own songs. Mostly were looking for a Beatles image.
Davy = Paul M looks, Mike N = George Harrison, Peter Tork, sort out of the ordinary but more to be John Lennon look, Mickey - Ringo.
FYI - Mike's mother invented White out (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3029099#post3029099).
IIRC - they really weren't allowed to sing as a group until the second season? They had stand ins? Their later albums they had more creativity, I believe

znachki
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
I loved the show, but didn't have a crush on any of them. I was only 9 - but I was in love with Robert Wagner...

My favorite Monkee's songs are not the most popular, and thanks to iTunes, I have them on my iPod. Not ashamed to say it... Sometime in the Morning,and Shades of Gray, I also have others, but those were my top two.

Fun fact - the guys had seen this great guitar player and secured him as the opening act on their tour in 1967. Unfortunately - it didn't last. The guitar player? Jimi Hendrix.

DickButtonFan
01-21-2011, 01:04 AM
I just love them! I've met them numerous times because my aunt would take me when I was little to their concerts. This was in the late 90s when they were broke up though, so I have never seen them all at once. But they were all the nicest people, they really love their fans.

I like Davy best ;)

Karina1974
01-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I have the movie Head. I've always wondered what it would be like to watch it when "not" sober or high on something.

BrokenAnkle
01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Ahh the Monkees. I think the new Nick show, Big Time Rush is either a rip off or a salute to them; I prefer to think it's the latter.

Favorite song; Goin' Down It's impossible to sing along with, though I do try.

Satellitegirl
01-21-2011, 02:16 AM
I watched reruns of the Monkees growing up and had a crush on Mickey :) Love so many of the songs.

KatieC
01-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Mickey was my favourite. We still have two of their albums hanging around the house. I think I must have liked drummers because I also liked Ringo best.

professordeb
01-21-2011, 03:24 AM
1966. Everybody trying to cash in on The Beatles success. So the Monkees were assembled for TV. Some wag called them “The Pre-Fab Four." "Pleasant Vally Sunday,” “Saturday’s Child” and “Valleri” are perhaps my favourite tunes. Just slight difference of opinion, Zokko. Paul Revere and The Raiders “Steppin’ Stone” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqLVy_H7mo&feature=related) was much more powerful. Listen to Mark Lindsay’s growl of a delivery.

I haven't listened to the entire link but that doesn't like "Steppin Stone". However, do you recognize who introduced them, cause it looks like a very, very young Michael Landon.

The Monkees
Simply crushed on Davy - that accent got me every time even if he was a bit on the short side. He also seemed to be the one that got the girl - at least most of the time.
Laughed at poor Peter, he just seemed so clueless. Mickey was a bit outrageous and Mike - the sane one.

Favourite song - that's a difficult question to answer cause I liked so many of them. Last Train to Clarksville, A Little Bit A Little Bit You come to mind.

cmkrcwi
01-21-2011, 03:42 AM
Did you know "Head" was written by Jack Nicholson?

I also love "Goin' Down".

Sparks
01-21-2011, 03:52 AM
...and Marcia Brady went on a "date" with Davy. :lol:

Myskate
01-21-2011, 04:03 AM
I loved the Monkees. We watched them every day after school. My favorite Monkees were Mike and Peter. I still listen to their CD's in my car. My family doesn't appreciate them as much as I do. My favorite song is "Words". There were one or two songs on the show that Mike sang lead on. I am trying to remember them--any help would be appreciated.