PDA

View Full Version : Skaters ripping off another's style

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

essence_of_soy
01-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Apparently there is a rift between Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo, where Galindo is accusing Weir of stealing his style.

Whether this is true or not, are there any instances of a skater lifting another's style for their own use.

The most notorious example I can think of off the top of my head is Amber Corwin using Take Five for her short program in 1999 and featuring a lot of the choreography Lu Chen used for her own interpretation back in 1997.

matti
01-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Apparently there is a rift between Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo, where Galindo is accusing Weir of stealing his style.

Whether this is true or not, are there any instances of a skater lifting another's style for their own use.

The most notorious example I can think of off the top of my head is Amber Corwin using Take Five for her short program in 1999 and featuring a lot of the choreography Lu Chen used for her own interpretation back in 1997.

Yes. Rahkamo&Kokko's 1990 controversial Piazzolla tango definitely influenced Usova&Zhulin's FD that year. Remember, Rahkamo&Kokko unveiled the dance to great audience acclaim in Paris autumn '89 (excepting the conservative ISU ice dance committee).

The same was true for their 'La Strada'.

It also seemed that other couples didn't have the right kind of touch for their quickstep ODs in 1995. Rahkamo&Kokko showed the right style and technique. By the worlds many had done tuning and alterations.

Torvill and Dean were very paranoiac about Soviet ice dance spies in the early 1980s.

triple_toe
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Patrick Chan ripping off Lambiel's Four Seasons was the first thing that came to mind. Although that was more Lori than Patrick.

Nomad
01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Apparently there is a rift between Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo, where Galindo is accusing Weir of stealing his style...

I'd say there are similarities but to claim that Weir "stole" Galindo's style is a stretch.

floskate
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't know much of the Galindo/Weir wars but for most other skaters I don't think it's a case of lifting or stealing another skaters style but more of admiring another skater and subliminally imitating them to an exaggerated extent. Susanna Poikyo comes to mind - she wasn't known as Eurokwan for nothing. :lol: Infact the picture on the front page of FSU which is often thought to be Kwan is actually Poikyo!

matti
01-20-2011, 11:39 PM
I don't know much of the Galindo/Weir wars but for most other skaters I don't think it's a case of lifting or stealing another skaters style but more of admiring another skater and subliminally imitating them to an exaggerated extent. Susanna Poikyo comes to mind - she wasn't known as Eurokwan for nothing. :lol: Infact the picture on the front page of FSU which is often thought to be Kwan is actually Poikyo!

:lol: And Kristiina Wegelius was Eurohamill. I guess it had to do with Fassi being the coach of both of them. As has been said here before Julie Lynn Holmes was Peggy Fleming II.

Nomad
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
A lot of people call Artur Gachinskii "Mini-Plush" but I can't really agree. Sure, he's a jumping bean coached by Mishin, but he doesn't have Plushenko's charisma.

floskate
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
:lol: And Kristiina Wegelius was Eurohamill. I guess it had to do with Fassi being the coach of both of them. As has been said here before Julie Lynn Holmes was Peggy Fleming II.

Oh gosh Tinti, I totally forgot about her :lol: Yep a total Hamill clone but I agree that might be more to do with Fassi than anything else. He seemed to have a habit of this because Joanne Conway's skating started to look like Jill Trenary's after she moved to the Fassi's in 1986. Julie Lynn Holmes certainly was packaged to look like Peggy but when I watch her skating I don't see too much similarity in skating style.

essence_of_soy
01-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Regarding Conway and Wegelius, the look was even down to their similar hairstyles. I remember watching Skate Canada '78 a while ago (before knowing the connection) thinking Kristina must have shared hairdressers with Dorothy.

newbatgirl
01-21-2011, 12:18 AM
I thought Rudy's real issue with Johnny was not the style thing but that fact that Johnny did not officially come out while he was still competing, something Rudy did and is apparently very proud to have done.

I thought I read that somewhere recently.

moebius
01-21-2011, 01:09 AM
A lot of people call Artur Gachinskii "Mini-Plush" but I can't really agree. Sure, he's a jumping bean coached by Mishin, but he doesn't have Plushenko's charisma.

He may not have Plushy's charisma, but the way he moves is very similar, such as as the arm movements.

JerseySlore
01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Can't believe no one mentioned Yagudin and Joubert.

In any case, more often than not, I think any perceived, or real similarity comes from having the same coach or choreographer than one skater emulating another.

Aussie Willy
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't know much of the Galindo/Weir wars but for most other skaters I don't think it's a case of lifting or stealing another skaters style but more of admiring another skater and subliminally imitating them to an exaggerated extent.
I agree. Skaters try to copy what famous skaters have done all the time. Beillman anyone?

I get more concerned about coaches rehashing moves. You can tell which skaters learn from which coach because the same move will be in each skaters programs.

And the same goes for music. A coach using the same music on successive students. Bugs me because they obviously don't pick music to suit the skater's individuality or personality.

pinky166
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Polina Korobeinikova is quite the Alissa Czisny clone. It's really rather :eek: how much alike they look and skate.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LenaElika#p/c/9C932751D8248E3B/14/VGuwz6z_z8s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Co8ilXlvo

JerseySlore
01-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Polina Korobeinkova is quite the Alissa Czisny clone. It's really rather :eek: how much alike they look and skate.

They even have very similar programs this year:eek: