PDA

View Full Version : Johnny at Nationals 2011, Getting Trophy - What Will Happen?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Frau Muller
01-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Where? No thread for it in US Nats/KnC forum.

Wyliefan
01-31-2011, 04:39 PM
This page (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77346&page=14) and following.

Frau Muller
01-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Ah...got it. Thanks. Oh my...Johnny wore black nail polish?! So glad that it went well.

Jenny
01-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Also - How come NBC kept using the zoom lens to show us a fuzzy image of Evan sitting in his bulletproof-glass skybox, yet never mentioned or bothered to seek-out Johnny, who supposedly was in the audience during yesterday's Men's LPs? I'm sure that NBC would not have needed a zoom lens to find Johnny, LOL!

NBC also had a pre-recorded backstage interview with Evan, by Andrea Joyce. But Andrea couldn't find Johnny?

Because Evan is the reigning Olympic champion?

Yazmeen
01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Because Johnny wrote a book where he took multiple opportunities to snark at USFS?

manleywoman
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Also - How come NBC kept using the zoom lens to show us a fuzzy image of Evan sitting in his bulletproof-glass skybox, yet never mentioned or bothered to seek-out Johnny, who supposedly was in the audience during yesterday's Men's LPs? I'm sure that NBC would not have needed a zoom lens to find Johnny, LOL!

Oh good lord. That arena was FILLED with famous skaters. They had a few seconds to wait between marks and decided to show Evan sitting with Vera Wang. Big deal.

DFJ
01-31-2011, 08:02 PM
So Also - How come NBC kept using the zoom lens to show us a fuzzy image of Evan sitting in his bulletproof-glass skybox, yet never mentioned or bothered to seek-out Johnny, who supposedly was in the audience during yesterday's Men's LPs? I'm sure that NBC would not have needed a zoom lens to find Johnny, LOL!

NBC also had a pre-recorded backstage interview with Evan, by Andrea Joyce. But Andrea couldn't find Johnny?

Perhaps because Evan is the Olympic champion and Johnny is...ummm....not.

Frau Muller
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh good lord. That arena was FILLED with famous skaters. They had a few seconds to wait between marks and decided to show Evan sitting with Vera Wang. Big deal.

It was done several times. And the cameras were NBC's, not USFS. Maybe if Johnny's agent would have paid State Farm to make Johnny the 'Good Neighbor of the Day' (or whatever the heck that was) the old zoom lens would have shown him? :lol:

Lexxandra
01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
So how was the presentation?
Here is the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV1oBPY3Eqw) :)
And maybe Johnny didn't have time to stay till the end of competition as he and Tara flew to London today :shuffle:

Frau Muller
01-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Here is the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV1oBPY3Eqw) :)
And maybe Johnny didn't have time to stay till the end of competition as he and Tara flew to London today :shuffle:

Thanks so much, Lexxandra! :) That is a very likely reason. I keep forgetting that Johnny is now True Jet-Set.

aftershocks
02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
LOL at all these excuses/ reasonings ... whether Johnny wrote a book or not, left NC before the men's final or not, he's not well-liked by TPTB in figureskating b/c he speaks truth to power. Evan is the One they want to promote, and the face of U.S. Men's figureskating (even before he won Olympic gold). If Evan had won the MK trophy, they may just have found the opportunity to air a glimpse of it on the NBC broadcast. Evan is part of the usfigureskating establishment (witness him invited to take part in the men's medal award ceremony and to have his own press conference) -- yes, he's Olympic champion, and that's the icing on the cake. But winning gold didn't happen just because he bested Plushenko -- in part it became possible because Evan was and is backed 110% by his federation. And yes, let me cut you off at the pass.. you all are sooo right ... Johnny never deserved to be backed. He beat himself ... he's such a diva. And the One IMO who has had the most influence on his generation of skaters. Yadda yadda, believe it or not. BTW, my opinion doesn't matter and neither does anyone else's. It is what it is.

Yep, I guess we all surely know by now that Evan Lysacek is the Men's Olympic Champion, he'll always be, and Johnny will always not be (and neither will Michelle Kwan, btw). Both Johnny and Michelle wanted to win Olympic gold, but neither of them are drooling over Evan's/ Tara's respectively, nor are they wasting time feeling sorry for themselves or worrying about what non-fans think of them.

The award ceremony for Johnny was just under 3 1/2 minutes. It went off without a hitch. Johnny looked great ... he later tweeted that he was wearing a brooch given to him by his parents, so he felt they were with him. He responded beautifully to questions by the female interviewer (her name wasn't mentioned in the clip). I loved Johnny’s expression of support for and his pride in Ryan's accomplishments. And his response to the final question about what he had to say to fans and young skaters coming up who are inspired by him ... "Always believe in yourself and never be afraid to fall down ... Never feel pressured or marginalized or told what to do or who to be or what to skate to, or what not to wear. I'm so proud of everything I've accomplished [wins and losses]. I want everyone to believe in themselves, love themselves and stand here in ten years and be proud of where they've gotten."

SkateFan66
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
LOL, I love your scenario, essence of soy! It would add some drama and excitement to the as usual, very staid proceedings. Will be lovely to see Johnny, what he's wearing, and whether they will allow him some time to actually say anything.

Really laughable, but unsurprising, how golden boy Ev gets his own presser all by himself, posted up on ice network -- while the senior mens' post sp presser has been missing in action. Guess it's still all about Ev*, even when he's not in the competition. Well, perhaps the fifth option you left out Frau Muller is: Johnny gets the MK award sandwiched in between the early and later round mens event with as little fanfare as possible, while Ev gets his own presser, and is named USOC Athlete of the Year, and is invited to skate in the Exhibition Gala, even though he was not part of the competition.

Gosh, I don't think there is anything Ev has skated to that I'm itching to see again. He's actually IMO probably a better dancer than a skater (funnily enough). Oh but, sorry, yes he's our Olympic Champion and truly deserves our respect and our cheers and our love. Ev's okay really (I'm just teasing ;) )... especially since he won it all and relaxed a little and feels like he came out of Johnny Weir's shadow. I'd just rather see Johnny than Evan skate in the Exhibition. Or, better yet, allow this event to belong to the skaters who competed and placed in the top spots.

*All About Ev -- catchy title for a book

Evan is a spokesperson for the movie Rise and the press conference was held to promote the movie. What is controversial about an official spokesperson for a movie having a press conference to talk about the movie?

Furthermore, Evan was not the only non-competitor that performed at the Smucker's Skating Spectacular.

ryanbfan
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Yep, I guess we all surely know by now that Evan Lysacek is the Men's Olympic Champion, he'll always be, and Johnny will always not be (and neither will Michelle Kwan, btw). Both Johnny and Michelle wanted to win Olympic gold, but neither of them are drooling over Evan's/ Tara's respectively, nor are they wasting time feeling sorry for themselves or worrying about what non-fans think of them.

Michelle Kwan -
2 Olympic Medals (Silver - 1998, Bronze - 2002)
5 time World Champion (1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003)
9 time National Champion (1996, 1998 - 2005)

Johnny Weir -
3 time National Champion (2004 - 2006)
2008 Worlds Bronze Medalist
2x GPF Bronze Medalist
2001 World Junior Champ

Admirable, but not the same as Kwan's record.

igniculus
02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Evan is part of the usfigureskating establishment (witness him invited to take part in the men's medal award ceremony and to have his own press conference) -- yes, he's Olympic champion, and that's the icing on the cake. But winning gold didn't happen just because he bested Plushenko -- in part it became possible because Evan was and is backed 110% by his federation. And yes, let me cut you off at the pass.. you all are sooo right ... Johnny never deserved to be backed. He beat himself ... he's such a diva.

Well, what do you know. Patrick Chan is a fcuking diva too, and a spoiled brat talking crazy things sometimes, but hey, he skates like pure gold and has an admireable work-ethic. He takes criticism, responds to it with perfection of his skating. Something Johnny never did.

:confused: Michelle Kwan is the most accomplished skater of her generation. There is absolutely no comparision about her failing to win an OGM and Johnny (who never realistically had a shot of winning one). Kwan's carrier is round and complete with many gorgeous victories, and she serves as inspiration for the youngsters taking up figure skating - not by rebelling against an establishment that is percieved as eville, but by always taking the high road and being generous about herself, her work and others.

CynicElle
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Evan was at the men's medal ceremony?