PDA

View Full Version : Kwan attends State Dinner in DC 1/19/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

os168
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
News reported:

Mr Hu was then welcomed with a pomp-filled arrival ceremony on the South Lawn, including a 21-gun salute. But the ceremonies were spoiled by a woman protesting against China's treatment of the banned Falun Gong religious movement and a White House announcer who fluffed China's formal name by calling it the "Republic of China"
the name for Taiwan instead of the "People's Republic of China."

----------------
:lol::lol::lol:

Nice faux pas, may be Mr Hu will turn up in jeans and t shirt with his blue tie next time.

IceAlisa
01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
It is a bit odd that Hu Jintao is not wearing a tux. And now that I think about it, perhaps MK should have worn a full length gown? But as it was, MK matched President Hu's stepped down attire. And the only gown I did like was Michelle Obama's.

Speaking of Michelle Obama: while I consider her efforts to promote healthy eating habits in children laudable and timely, I think she should leave creamed spinach alone. :mitchell:

a56
01-21-2011, 02:28 AM
News reported:

Mr Hu was then welcomed with a pomp-filled arrival ceremony on the South Lawn, including a 21-gun salute. But the ceremonies were spoiled by a woman protesting against China's treatment of the banned Falun Gong religious movement and a White House announcer who fluffed China's formal name by calling it the "Republic of China" –
the name for Taiwan – instead of the "People's Republic of China."

----------------
:lol::lol::lol:

Nice faux pas, may be Mr Hu will turn up in jeans and t shirt with his blue tie next time.
I think that's what happened the last time Hu Jintao visited the White House back in 2006 (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/political-economy/2011/01/washington_prepares_for_state.html).

The double stuffed potatoes with creamed spinach and poached Maine lobster sound delish! :swoon:

Brian
01-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Michelle looks like a million bucks!!! WOW

Marco
01-21-2011, 03:44 AM
It is a bit odd that Hu Jintao is not wearing a tux.

To many Chinese, especially the older generation, a full suit is as formal as it can be. I don't think Jackie Chan wore a tux either.

DreamSkates
01-21-2011, 03:47 AM
She needs to find a new designer who can help make her look less like the walking dead. :eek:

One would think a designer would design herself the best looking dress of the evening. Maybe she's running out of ideas. The color doesn't suit her. And she looks so thin - has she always been that way? However, she does a fine job with figure skaters. Kwan looks fantastic.

os168
01-21-2011, 04:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUfXSg2KYM

Michelle appeared at 0.43

Yes definitely the best dress on the day! Also the much needed burst of glamour and youthful vibrancy as well.

Michelle is easily amongst the best rep of American/Chinese success in the world scene, lots of ops for her in diplomatic relations if she put her heart to it. (making President Hu laugh works in her favour already, doubt even Obama could do that)

Surprised how loud the heckling were from the white house.

newbatgirl
01-21-2011, 04:28 AM
B.D Wong (Law & Order SVU) was there as well and he brought his mom!

Talk about racking up "son points" for years by taking your mom to the White House for a state dinner.

I think if I were ever invited to a state dinner, I'd bring my mom too! She would talk about it for the rest of her life!!!

IceJunkie
01-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Michelle looks GORGEOUS. I love the dress.

Apparently her dress earned quite the buzz from readers:

http://live.washingtonpost.com/reliable-source-state-dinner-analysis-and-gossip.html

IceAlisa
01-21-2011, 05:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUfXSg2KYM

Michelle appeared at 0.43

Yes definitely the best dress on the day! Also the much needed burst of glamour and youthful vibrancy as well.

Michelle is easily amongst the best rep of American/Chinese success in the world scene, lots of ops for her in diplomatic relations if she put her heart to it. (making President Hu laugh works in her favour already, doubt even Obama could do that)

Surprised how loud the heckling were from the white house.
Is that Michelle Obama standing in her sleeveless Alexander McQueen outside in the middle of January in DC??? :eek: That's cruel and unusual.

skateboy
01-21-2011, 05:31 AM
I can't eat (and never order) lobster. The thought of a poor lobster squealing to death in boiling water--for my benefit--is too much for me.

riveredge
01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Michelle looks STUNNING! :D

cheriepopo
01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the photo! Kween looks awesome! I was wondering if she was invited to the banquet when watching the news on TV yesterday.

IceAlisa
01-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Speculation that Hu Jintao is not the only one dyeing his hair:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110121/pl_yblog_theticket/is-obama-dyeing-his-hair

skatingfan5
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Are they also speculating if he used some sort of bronzer as well? :rolleyes: