PDA

View Full Version : Kwan attends State Dinner in DC 1/19/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

skatingfan5
01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh boo, it actually has quite a few things I don't like: goat cheese, glazed carrots and onions in buttermilk (how on earth are they crisp in buttermilk? :eek:) Good thing I wasn't invited :PI assumed that the onions were fried and had a buttermilk batter coating (like onion rings). Of course, I could be wrong. I loved everything on the menu .... except the creamed spinach.

IceAlisa
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I assumed that the onions were fried and had a buttermilk batter coating (like onion rings). Of course, I could be wrong.

Oh. In that case, :scream:--can't stand onion rings. But they did ask for an all-American dinner, so that's what they got. I do love creamed spinach though, with steak and a nice glass of wine :swoon:.

skatingfan5
01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh. In that case, :scream:--can't stand onion rings. But they did ask for an all-American dinner, so that's what they got. I do love creamed spinach though, with steak and a nice glass of wine :swoon:.I may reconsider the creamed spinach ... evidently it doesn't have cream -- the recipe (http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2009/03/white-house-chef-cristeta-comerfords-no.html) sounds like it might be good. (I love spinach in salads, just not in a gloppy cream sauce -- which I don't like on anything.)

IceAlisa
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I may reconsider the creamed spinach ... evidently it doesn't have cream -- the recipe (http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2009/03/white-house-chef-cristeta-comerfords-no.html) sounds like it might be good. (I love spinach in salads, just not in a gloppy cream sauce -- which I don't like on anything.)
Yeah, you can have it. I like cream in my creamed spinach. :drama:

Cheylana
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Michelle looks gorgeous. One of the best dresses she's worn lately!

Also, I love that even though MK hasn't competed in over four years, she still looks like she could kick someone's butt! :)

Frau Muller
01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
.....she wanted to make President Hu Jintao feel comfortable about his own less than formal attire (http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/01/20/what-to-wear-to-a-state-dinner/). ;) :P That Michelle -- always so diplomatic. :D

WOW - What an insult! The guy cried about being given "only" a lunch by G.W. Bush on his last visit...so he retorts by dressing for lunch at a formal dinner. (And did not bother to bring along his wife or a female family member, as is often the case when a wife is indisposed.)

This entire State Visit was full of no-nos that were either honest faux pas or outright insults, such as the House Speaker declining the invite.

So there were two morons who wore short dresses - Michelle and Anna Wintour. Shame on them...unless they were purposely sending a message of displeasure at China's human rts violations.

orbitz
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
But they did ask for an all-American dinner, so that's what they got.

That would be meatloaf, tato tots, iceberg lettuce, and twinkies for dessert.

JAF
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
I may reconsider the creamed spinach ... evidently it doesn't have cream -- the recipe (http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2009/03/white-house-chef-cristeta-comerfords-no.html) sounds like it might be good. (I love spinach in salads, just not in a gloppy cream sauce -- which I don't like on anything.)
The recipe should have been called what it is - Pureed Spinach or Spinach Puree.

Don't understand why the dish is called Creamed Spinach. No way would this spinach dish taste anything like Creamed Spinach, now I'm wondering why it is called Creamed Spinach.
Doesn't seem honest to me.

No, I'm not blaming Michelle or Obama - hmmm, maybe the other Michelle (not the figure skater). ;) :lol:

skatingfan5
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
The recipe should have been called what it is - Pureed Spinach or Spinach Puree.

Don't understand why the dish is called Creamed Spinach. No way would this spinach dish taste anything like Creamed Spinach, now I'm wondering why it is called Creamed Spinach. Doesn't seem honest to me.

No, I'm not blaming Michelle or Obama - hmmm, maybe the other Michelle (not the figure skater). ;) :lol:Take it up with the chef, Cris Comerford. I assume that's where the "creamed spinach" name originated ("Executive Chef Cris Comerford's No Cream Creamed Spinach"). Or you could blame the "dishonesty" on Michelle Obama and her desire for "healthier foods". :P
When introducing Chef Comerford's spinach recipe, Mrs. Obama applauded Comerford's genius at creating healthy meals, and thanked her for coming up with a solution for making creamed spinach far healthier. The recipe is fairly easy, it really does taste similar to traditional creamed spinach, and it requires a kitchen tool that's as modern as Mrs. Obama's approach to being First Lady--an electric blender.

skatingfan5
01-20-2011, 08:17 PM
That would be meatloaf, tato tots, iceberg lettuce, and twinkies for dessert.:scream: Not in my neck of the American woods! Actually, since I'm in a college town, that would be pizza and beer. :lol:

JAF
01-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Take it up with the chef, Cris Comerford. I assume that's where the "creamed spinach" name originated ("Executive Chef Cris Comerford's No Cream Creamed Spinach"). Or you could blame the "dishonesty" on Michelle Obama and her desire for "healthier foods". :P
Why couldn't Spinach Puree stand alone?
I'll ask you since I can't ask the chef or Michelle. :)

skatingfan5
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Why couldn't Spinach Puree stand alone?
I'll ask you since I can't ask the chef or Michelle. :)I don't know -- maybe the chef thought it sounded too highfalutin and "no cream creamed spinach" sounded more down home? Write a letter to the chef or the FLOTUS and ask if you want a real answer.

AYS
01-20-2011, 08:34 PM
That entire dinner menu looks absolutely fabulous. :swoon:

os168
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes, Anna Wintour did. I think that Michelle was being very diplomatic in wearing a semi-formal outfit -- she wanted to make President Hu Jintao feel comfortable about his own less than formal attire (http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/01/20/what-to-wear-to-a-state-dinner/). ;) :P That Michelle -- always so diplomatic. :D

Well I personally think it was very rockin roll for Presiden Hu to don a Blue tie in a Black Tie event. Looks like most people didn't get the same memo.

Anyways, it is good the US is dressing up for China for once, they do need their money after all.

Re: Frau Muller

Human rights violations? Don't you mean McDonalds, probably the biggest world's contributors to minimum slave wages for profit? At least most of China provide shelter for their low paid workers while feed the rest of the world. Can't say for the same for the many homeless people in some of the richest city in the world, many in the US of A.

danceronice
01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
The Kween looks amazing and confident!

Very sweet of B. D. Wong to bring his mother, who I am sure must have been thrilled to attend.

I think it was sweet to bring his mother. He may have been more concerned with her having a once-in-a-lifetime experiencce than making a political statement.

And I love Mrs. Iger's dress (Disney CEO's wife.) At least the shoulder detail, which is all the WSJ shows.

I'd rather have the menu for the luncheon, I think, but then again I wonder if you can notify the White House on your RSVP when you have allergies (I'm allergic to crustacean shellfish, so the dinner has a big no-no.)

Jackie Chan wore no tie that I can see. But then again I'm not going to tell Jackie Chan he's dressed wrong. He could still kick my ass.