PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Schultheiss is uncertain about his future in figure skating

Pages : [1] 2

siberia82
01-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I found two radio interviews with Adrian Schultheiss (or maybe it's the same one, but I can't differentiate between them since I don't speak Swedish) which suggest that he has doubts about continuing with the sport. :eek: :wideeyes:

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=104&artikel=4301199

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=179&artikel=4301415

Civic
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Not a surprise. He may feel that he's expending a lot of time, effort and money without achieving the results he'd like.

Jasmar
01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Oh, I hope he doesn't give up. He's got so much potential to be someone really interesting in the sport. Like Gary Beacom or Ryan Jahnke. He looked so utterly defeated at Skate America, even after the event when I ran into him on the concourse. he was just in a daze. I was hoping this were going to get better.

Jenna
01-20-2011, 12:30 AM
I thought he made vast improvements in the 09-10 season, only to regress a bit this fall. The coaching incident at Skate America was awful. I hope he can persevere!

siberia82
01-20-2011, 03:17 AM
By carefully listening to the sequence of syllables, I've managed to determine that the first link I shared contains a 1-minute section of the full radio interview (which can be found in the 2nd URL). I sincerely hope a Swedish speaker will translate the latter for us.

I put both pages through Google Translate to get a rough English translation of the text which accompanies both audio clips:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsverigesradio.se%2Fsida%2Fartikel.a spx%3Fprogramid%3D104%26artikel%3D4301199

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsverigesradio.se%2Fsida%2Fartikel.a spx%3Fprogramid%3D179%26artikel%3D4301415

Lara
01-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Wrong thread sorry.

shan
01-20-2011, 03:52 AM
:wuzrobbed: I hope he does well at Europeans!

Finnice
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
He says basically that skating has not been so nice lately. He has overtrained his feet and also the coach change has affected him so that he has even thought about quitting. He also plans to stay to the next olympics, but still has some doubts.

So, nothing really determinate. It only seems that he is a bit desperate now, and not at all in a good form.

I also hope he will:kickass: in Bern. I love those voidy Swedish guys!

ingwer
01-20-2011, 12:12 PM
This is a rough translation of the latter radio interview. Please note that I am native speaker neither in Swedish nor in English so there are probably many little nuances lost in translation and also many little mistakes, but the main idea should become clear.

Adrian Schultheiss made his big international breakthrough at last years Olympics: he was the first Swede to land a quadruple jump and his long program was brilliant. At the world championships a little later he made his personal best score and came in ninth place. He took his last step to the worlds elite last year.

But it seems not to be that easy. Ive had a little slump this year. There has been too much figure skating, I could not take it. Last summer my legs were overstrained and I was not able to train properly. Also the situation with my coach was difficult. Now I have changed coaches and I hope to climb up the rankings again.

Schultheiss has even thought about quitting the sport altogether and finding something else for the future. He is not even sure if there will be a season 2011-2012 for him.

Ive wanted to go on until the next Olympics but well see what happens next year. It is sometimes a little hard. But I hope for the best.

So you are not totally convinced to continue, there is a little doubt?

It is a little uncertain. It has not been so fun lately. But I hope the coaching change will help to sort things out.

Three weeks before the Swedish nationals Adrian Schultheiss broke up with his coach of many years, Evgeni Lutkov. Now he has two coaches, Maria Bergqvist and Johanna Dahlstrand.

This was needed to be able to loosen things up a little. Now I have a say in my own training. Things were not working out with my old coach any more.

Do you feel there is now room for development? Are you going to raise the bar a little now?

I hope so. But now Ive chosen a coach who is in the first hand supportive and is there for me. The practices have become more fun.

Next week it is time to leave all ponderings aside and put all efforts on the European Championships in Bern.

I hope for a good placement. Actually I would like to be in the top five. Anyway, the season has not been that great so far. But top ten at least.

Adrian Schultheiss has all the technical elements in his skating that are needed to place well in the competition. Now it is time to improve his presentation. The presentation score is almost as important as the technical aspect when it comes to points. But it is much more difficult.

You have to have a story in the program, not just to skate around like a dead swan but to be alive and tell something.

How do you see your own presentation?

Last year I think it was good but this year the judges have not understood me yet.

Are you difficult to understand?

A little. (laughs)

What do you think is the reason?

I think my long program last year was really good but I did not get the scores I wanted until the world championships. It took some time for them to get the program.

Last year Adrian Schultheiss used for the first time classical music, in his short program. He has been known of choosing very modern songs for his skating in the past. But he has not taken the step into the classical world in order to please the conservative judges.

I dont think the music determines the score the skater is going to get from his programs.

Has your former music shocked the judges?

Well, no, but maybe they dont like it. Those who sit at the judging panel are often older people and not necessarily listen to the contemporary music that I do.

Do you think it is good now that you combine classical and modern music?

I never choose music that I dont like. I dont do anything for the judges or anyone but I do everything for my own sake.

Do you have some spectacular moment in your new programs like the move we remember when you bend backwards and make a shooting move in front of the judges, something that sticks out?

Not anything that much now, that was the real highlight (laughs). But in my long program Im drying up blood from my arm, my friend died in a fight at the beginning of the program and my sleeve got stained by his blood. And in the short program there are some snake moves. But nothing like shooting the judges.

So you have already made your best move. (laughing) When you make up a new program, how much do you think about the storytelling?

I want the program to have a story, that I can make something up myself, so that it feels plausible and real when Im skating. I want to know why there is a hand move or a facial expression in a certain moment, what should I feel when skating to it and so on. It feels better to skate to a story than to skate around to some music and choreography with no idea behind.

Is it more important to you to understand it yourself than to make it visible for someone whos watching?

Its the most important for myself because many people don't understand when Im for example drying the blood from my sleeve, they think Im washing something or scratching something itchy (laughing). But for me it is important that there is something behind everything I do.

shan
01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the translation ingwer! :)

siberia82
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
ingwer, thank you very much for your help! I wasn't sure anyone on FSU would have the patience to translate a 7-minute long interview, but I'm so glad that you did! :respec:

siberia82
01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
A Swedish blogger shared an excerpt from the latest issue of a magazine called Filter which had an article on "Ice Loneliness" http://mymarkup.se/2011/01/konstakning_och_akvariefiskar.html I must say that Adrian seems miserable based on the interview. :( He reveals to the magazine that he has been feeling low since the 2008 Worlds (which I'm sure some of you remember was hosted by his hometown of Gothenburg).

This is the English translation from Google Translator: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmymarkup.se%2F2011%2F01%2Fkonstakni ng_och_akvariefiskar.html

Ziggy
01-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Schultheiss has so much untapped potential.

If only he improved his stamina and got programs bringing out his personality (like the "insane" FS last season), he could really shine.

Don't give up Adrian, you rock!

ks1227
01-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I hope he will not quit. The interview translation makes it sound like he's still hoping for a better result, in which case perhaps he'll stick around. I love his voidy programs, especially last season! :inavoid: :swoon:

shan
01-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Does he have a fan page? It would be nice to send him encouraging words. I wonder if it would encourage him to know that he has fans on FSU. :cheer2: Or maybe it would terrify him! :scream: