PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Schultheiss is uncertain about his future in figure skating

Pages : 1 [2]

Mozart
01-25-2011, 05:29 PM
he's on facebook....

shan
01-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Mozart, I'll have to check it out. :)

SmallFairy
01-26-2011, 08:09 AM
A Swedish blogger shared an excerpt from the latest issue of a magazine called Filter which had an article on "Ice Loneliness" http://mymarkup.se/2011/01/konstakning_och_akvariefiskar.html I must say that Adrian seems miserable based on the interview. :( He reveals to the magazine that he has been feeling low since the 2008 Worlds (which I'm sure some of you remember was hosted by his hometown of Gothenburg).

This is the English translation from Google Translator: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmymarkup.se%2F2011%2F01%2Fkonstakni ng_och_akvariefiskar.html

Adrian does indeed sound depressed in his quotes! :(:( I truly hope he doesn't retire!!

he says:
- I'm very confused right night. Lately I haven't been happy, I think I'm depressed. It's been like this since worlds 2008: first it was really a lot of things happening, then I was depressed during the summer and couldn't find any happiness in my skating. And this year it's all been crap. I have goals, big goals, but sometimes I have stopped dreaming. If I can't find the joy in skating again, I'm going to quit after this season. (:eek: no no no!!!)

Adrian is leaning forward, sitting on his bed.

- Sometimes my girlfriend comes to watch my practices. That helps. I don't feel so lonely then. I land the harder triples and do nicer spins then. (awwww, that's so cute! she should get money from the Swedish fed to be able to leave all other commitments and watch his practices all the time!)

Adrians life is totally evolved around figure skating. He practices in the morning, the he goes home and rests a few hours, before he's back at the rink for the next session. The evening he sometimes spends with his girlfriend, who studies at the university and lives with her parents. His busy schedule has made sure he has no other friends left in Gothenburg. Mostly he meets up with a group of foreign skaters that he meets at competitions. When he's at home, he mostly sits on his bed and watches his aquarium. He loves his fishes and can watch "their behaviour" for hours and hours.

And as if all his other problems wasn't enough, the fishes seems to have caught an illness. He shows me a note that is the result of hours of studying in front of the aquarium, where he througly has made notes of what the fishes are doing. It says things like: "coughing up food" and "body shivers". He has also calculated their breath: 80-110 breaths per minute instead of 60, which is normal. Adrian is taking his list to a zoo-shop to get help finding the right diagnose and buy the right medication. he suspects their suffering from....gälparasiter/galleparasitter. (now that's one word I don't know in english.

End of interview.

A lot about fishes, and also some about skating, he seems like a really miserable man at the moment!! Poor Adrian, he needs some cheering up!! I guess you could write to SkateSweden to send him a message, or also to the svt-commentators, they are in Bern and I'm sure they will pass any encouraging words on to him... will see if I can find an e-mail adress...

Hope he kicks ass at Euros and is pushed forward by that! no way he's allowed to quit, no way!!!

siberia82
01-27-2011, 06:54 PM
As always, we appreciate your translations, SmallFairy. I always miss the little details with Google Translate. I would guess that "gälparasiter" refers to gill parasites.

My heart sank to my stomach after watching Adrian's SP at Euros. :wuzrobbed He was already in a dark place emotionally, so I can't imagine how he's feeling right now. I think he needs a big hug from his fans. (((Adrian)))

Jasmar
01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
He sounds seriously, clinically depressed. I know nothing about the Swedish skating federation, but with his talent, wouldn't it seem like someone would be keeping an eye on this sort of thing –*and trying to get him some help?

I deeply hope he finds help and comes back fighting. He's such a breath of fresh air on the ice, even when he's off.

shah
01-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Adrian, don't give up!!!

shan
01-28-2011, 08:49 AM
:fragile: Poor Adrian...

siberia82
01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
He sounds seriously, clinically depressed. I know nothing about the Swedish skating federation, but with his talent, wouldn't it seem like someone would be keeping an eye on this sort of thing –*and trying to get him some help?

I don't know much about the inner workings of the Swedish fed either, but it doesn't sound like Adrian has access to a sports psychologist (or if he does, that person is doing a terrible job finding the help he needs :rolleyes:). It's very odd that a talented athlete like him is left to suffer in silence. You'd think the Swedish skating officials would do more to protect their investment. :confused:

It would be a HUGE blow to the men's figure skating in Sweden if Adrian quits after the end of this season. :wall: Berntsson can't compete forever, and I'd hate to think that Majorov would suddenly become the country's #1 male skater when he still has some some maturing to do (i.e. the Facebook incident :blah:). Adrian is not only the first Swede to land a quad in competition, he is so far the only one! That alone makes him special, but he also has innovative choreography, so who knows how far he can go if only he had the proper emotional support. I'd just hate to see all of that potential go to waste! :wuzrobbed

Wiery
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM
He does sound clinically depressed, and I hope he gets help as soon as possible!

He's one of my very favourite skaters-I hope he can find joy in his life and in skating!

Please don't quit!!!!

Ziggy
01-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't know much about the inner workings of the Swedish fed either, but it doesn't sound like Adrian has access to a sports psychologist (or if he does, that person is doing a terrible job finding the help he needs :rolleyes:).

The vast majority of figure skaters don't.

There are few of them and working with one costs a lot of money.

There is also a lot of stigma still attached to seeing one, obviously, although you'd expect that in a country as developed and "enlightened" as Sweden that wouldn't be a major factor.

siberia82
01-31-2011, 05:54 PM
In case anyone was curious about the Filter magazine which appeared in the Swedish blog, I've discovered that the blogger was referring to Issue #18. This is what the cover looks like: http://www.magasinetfilter.se/artiklar/filter-18.aspx

The 22-page article focuses mostly on Sweden's current top 3 male figure skaters (Schultheiss, Berntsson, Majorov), plus there are mentions of Filip Stiller. I've been told that there are incredible photos of Adrian, Koffe and Sasha, including snapshots taken at the 2010 Swedish Nationals.

senorita
01-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Will be this article online somewhere?
Adrian at Euros was a disaster , and I so like his LP . HE seems quite sensitive as an athlete and at first (previous seasons) he looked less introverted.

ioana
01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Adrian at Euros was a disaster , and I so like his LP . HE seems quite sensitive as an athlete and at first (previous seasons) he looked less introverted.

I remember him and the old coach in the KnC after the 2009 Skate America in Lake Placid with Adrian whispering and pointing at the cameras. Coach asks 'so what if I talk in English?' Adrian always seemed to be fairly private -less so than he is now, I agree- which makes me wonder if that's part of the problem. If you're used to dealing with everything on your own and internalizing problems, you want to keep doing the same, even though there comes a point where you should reach out and ask for some sort of guidance.

I really hope things get better for him. His LP from last year was brilliant!

siberia82
02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
There are few of them and working with one costs a lot of money.

Fair enough. I guess the Swedish fed can't afford to help Adrian even if they wanted to. :wall: It's extremely unfortunate that he doesn't have the necessary resources to fight this slump. Based on what we've heard so far, I think it may be best that he stops competing NOW and focus on getting better. Everything else should be secondary. (Of course, he could be under a lot of pressure from the Swedish officials to stay until Worlds to increase the men's chances of maintaining 2 spots for next year.)

This downward spiral Adrian is trapped in can only get worse, and no amount of hoping or wishing is going to magically change his condition. He's been depressed for almost 3 years now, and a person can only put up a "mask" for so long before the cracks begin to show. I'd say that his subpar results this season is proof of that. :fragile:

There is also a lot of stigma still attached to seeing one, obviously, although you'd expect that in a country as developed and "enlightened" as Sweden that wouldn't be a major factor.

Old traditions die hard, I guess. I wouldn't know anything about how mental disorders are perceived in Sweden, but despite being the most progressive country in terms of gender equality, I've been informed by Swedish FS fans that the sport is still considered to be very "girly" by the general public. :rolleyes: (Hence the reason why there are so few male figure skaters in Sweden.) I can imagine that Adrian might not want to appear "weak" for seeking professional help, but trying to be strong all of the time is only worsening his well-being. :(

If you have an iPad or an iPhone, you can buy Filter here: http://qiozk.com/paper/filter/-18-2011