PDA

View Full Version : greatest rivalry ever

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Twilight1
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
The "greatest rivalry ever" was Usova/Zhulin vs. Grishuk/Platov. No one else comes close! :glamor:

Yep. Couldn't agree more!! :drama:

robinhood
01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I go for Plushy and Yagudin, too. That was the time I started watching fs for the first time and I remember hating Evgeny really bad...I cried the time Yagudin lost to him at euros with his Gladiator program:lol::lol:
Anyway, now with the pass of time it was one of the best rivalries of the last decade and a half, sort of a Nadal/Federer rivalry with 2 all time greats going head to head almost in every competition (slam)

Having watched many performances now from the past I have to say Klim/Pon and the Duschenays was the very first thrilling rivalry in ice dance. Russia vs. France, classic vs. avant-garde...dance politicks at its best:judge: and it lead to the most amazing program of the history of ice dancing in my mind: K/P Bach's Aria:hat1:

ciocio
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I go for Plushy and Yagudin, too. That was the time I started watching fs for the first time and I remember hating Evgeny really bad...I cried the time Yagudin lost to him at euros with his Gladiator program:lol::lol:

Me too, I would have killed him if I could, it was the best rivalry EVER!!!!:rofl::rolleyes:

judgejudy27
01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
A rivalry made by the judges. IMO, FP&M as World champ is a joke. Anissina&Peizerat were superior in every aspect ! :slinkaway

I thought the Italians were overrated too but I wouldnt say A&P were superior in every aspect. The Italians had better twizzles, sometimes better footwork, and they had more speed. And Barbara was an amazing performer.

Looking back I can also see how the Italians won the 2001 Worlds. They clearly had the better OD. I would have given Marina & Gwendal the gold after the FD, but they still had some unision problems and sloppiness, and the Italians did some elements better that year.

Zokko!
01-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh, I remember that quite well; Yags' "Gladiator" then wasn't perfect, but probably one of his most passionate, emotional performances I've ever seen from him! Blood on the ice! It was heartbreaking to watch him lose after such an tremendous effort, but Plush was faultless and probably deserved to win. Both were the MAIN ATTRACTIONS!!! then, everyone else was just a number for the statistics ... and how the crowd in Bratislava went ecstatic and almost hysterical during both programs ... sigh ... if I could turn back time ... :( ;)

Aceon6
01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
The Brians. One/two in almost every comp where both were entered and it always stayed professional.

Fallcolor
01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Witt never planned a 3Lp, but she could do it. Right after the freeskate at 1987 Worlds, Thomas commented that she did not even know Witt had a 3Lp until the freeskate. Witt had not been doing it in practice all week but put it in because she knew she could win if she landed the 3Lp but was going to place the same if she did a 2Lp or fell on a 3Lp.
Her planned content included a double loop? I remember her saying on olympic ice in '06 that she made a 'mistake' and only did a double, not a triple...

judgejudy27
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Her planned content included a double loop? I remember her saying on olympic ice in '06 that she made a 'mistake' and only did a double, not a triple...

That is a nice story on her part but she didnt even attempt the triple loop all season and reports were she wasnt in practice either (other than the odd botched attempt).

duane
01-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I go for Plushy and Yagudin...sort of a Nadal/Federer rivalry with 2 all time greats going head to head almost in every competition (slam)
Great analogy!

sykr
01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I thought the Italians were overrated too but I wouldnt say A&P were superior in every aspect. The Italians had better twizzles, sometimes better footwork, and they had more speed. And Barbara was an amazing performer.

Looking back I can also see how the Italians won the 2001 Worlds. They clearly had the better OD. I would have given Marina & Gwendal the gold after the FD, but they still had some unision problems and sloppiness, and the Italians did some elements better that year.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you. A/P had incredibly difficult programs that year. F-P/M had simply incomparable programs in therms of difficulty, not even speaking about artistic side.
For ex. you mentioned twizzles. Sure, F-P/M had much better unison, because thay did 2+2 and 2+2 twizzle sequences,both in the first half of the program and with practically zero movement accros the ice.
A/P had 5+2 and 2+3 sequences, both done on circle pattern and with big movement accros the ice and changing positions while doing them...how can you even compare it ?

No, for me, that years judging was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen.:slinkaway

misskarne
01-23-2011, 06:35 AM
It's got to be Plushenko and Yagudin. You couldn't really have anyone else, could you? They drove the sport further in four years than it had been in ages. I mean, look at Nagano - Kulik did a single quad toe (no combo) in the LP and won, and that was the first time the winner had done a quad. And four years later in SLC, Yagudin and Plushenko both did two quads, in combination, and Goebel did three. That's a huge advance in just four years.

Plus, the drama. Oh the drama. It was incredible. About the only thing missing from their rivalry was a punch-up and I wouldn't be prepared to say that it didn't happen out of sight. They absolutely loathed each other.

Funny thing is, nowadays they're pretty friendly. Yagudin said nice things about his skating, Plushenko invited him to skate in his show. Goes to show what growing up does I guess :lol: