PDA

View Full Version : greatest rivalry ever

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

aliona22
01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
The "greatest rivalry ever" was Usova/Zhulin vs. Grishuk/Platov. No one else comes close! :glamor:

Mafke
01-16-2011, 11:14 PM
In each discipline (and only dealing with rivalries that are completely over)

Men :

Gold : Yagudin/Plushenk
Silver : Brians
Bronze : Browning/Petrenko
Pewter: Toller Cranston

Ladies :
Gold : Fratianne/Poetzsch
Silver : Albright/Heiss (as s.o. mentioned they made Yags and Plushy look like a mutual admiration society)
Bronze : Kwan/Slute
Pewter : Henie vs all that is good and pure

Pairs
gold : not awarded
silver : S/P vs B/S
bronze : S/Z vs T/M
pewter : Rodnina/Zaitsev vs Babilonia/Gardner

Dance
gold : G/P vs U/Z
silver : Duchesnays vs K/P
bronze : ???
pewter : Bourne/Kraatz vs judges

Cherub721
01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
The "greatest rivalry ever" was Usova/Zhulin vs. Grishuk/Platov. No one else comes close! :glamor:

Truth.

judgejudy27
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Rodnina & Zaitsev vs Babilonia & Gardner was a rivalry? How, B&G never came even close to beating R&Z that I know of. Even Nancy Kerrigan has come closer to beating Yamaguchi than B&G have R&Z probably, LOL! I guess some think they would have been close at the 1980 Olympics, it is purely a guess really though.

And G/P vs U/Z in dance? U/Z always easily beat G/P until the 93/94 season, never even came close to losing any portion of a dance event to them, but then G/P suddenly came up in 93/94 and finished over U/Z at Europeans and stole the Oly Gold away from them, then U/Z retired to the pro ranks and the two teams never met again except once as swapped pairs now as U/P and G/Z. It was only a great rivalry off the ice and in tequila bars, LOL!

I think Anissina & Peizerat vs Fusar Poli & Margalio was a big rivalry in dance in the early 2000s.

Recogzy & Sallay vs Linichuk & Karpanasov became a big rivalry in 79 and 80, while Linichuk & Karpanasov vs Moiseeva & Minenkov was in 78 and 79.

olympic
01-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Rodnina & Zaitsev vs Babilonia & Gardner was a rivalry? How, B&G never came even close to beating R&Z that I know of. Even Nancy Kerrigan has come closer to beating Yamaguchi than B&G have R&Z probably, LOL! I guess some think they would have been close at the 1980 Olympics, it is purely a guess really though.

B/G were the 1st US World Champs in Pairs since '50 and the Olympics were going to be on US home-turf the next season. They would go head-to-head against an aging R/Z at the height of the Cold War. I agree that they never had a real rivalry and a lot of it was media-hype, but I do recall that B/G had beefed up their technical content for the Olympic season [ex - throw 2x into SBS 2x's] so there was that outside shot, and what type of shape would a 31-yr. old Rodnina show up in was another point of conjecture...But if anything, there is no way though that politik would've permitted B/G to defeat R/Z

Civic
01-17-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm surprised the Witt/Thomas rivalry didn't garner more votes. "The Dueling Carmens" were one of the highlights of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

judgejudy27
01-17-2011, 01:33 AM
B/G were the 1st US World Champs in Pairs since '50 and the Olympics were going to be on US home-turf the next season. They would go head-to-head against an aging R/Z at the height of the Cold War. I agree that they never had a real rivalry and a lot of it was media-hype, but I do recall that B/G had beefed up their technical content for the Olympic season [ex - throw 2x into SBS 2x's] so there was that outside shot, and what type of shape would a 31-yr. old Rodnina show up in was another point of conjecture...But if anything, there is no way though that politik would've permitted B/G to defeat R/Z

I guess what I meant is by the time B/G had improved enough to legitimately challenge R/Z (politiks aside) they unfortunately never met head to head. Teams didnt do many other events back then. And R/Z took the 78-79 season off so they didnt meet then, and their only scheduled meeting of the 79-80 season never happened at the Games (and both didnt do Worlds). So the rivalry was something that never really happened. B/G's best finish before 79 was a 3rd place finish at the 78 Worlds so they obviously werent rivalling the unbeatable Rodnina & Zaitsev at that point yet.

Since R/Z didnt do throw jumps, and since B/G had far better choreography they probably could have beaten them at the 1980 Games under fair judging (which of course it wouldnt have been probably, especialy as it wasnt in any discipline at those Games). R/Z on the other hand have so much amazing speed and power though and such amazing lifts and strong side by side jumps.

escaflowne9282
01-17-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm surprised the Witt/Thomas rivalry didn't garner more votes. "The Dueling Carmens" were one of the highlights of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

IMHO That (despite having two great skate offs the two previous seasons) was such an anti-climax. Manley and Ito completely took them both to town.

B&S and S&P - ended in the anti-climax of both winning the OGM and the respective fans of each saying our team is the real winner 9 years later

Another and IMHO even crueler one that was mentioned as a rivalry (although not on this poll) was Kwan vs. Slutskaya which ended in the anti-climax of neither becoming Olympic Champion.

I voted Yags vs. Plush

orbitz
01-17-2011, 03:32 AM

How could that be considered one of the highlights when neither Witt nor Thomas skated well in their respective LPs ?

Seerek
01-17-2011, 04:31 AM
It's interesting... Witt actually completed all her planned content in her 1988 Olympic LP yet the general consensus was that she skated well below par.. Perhaps the audience's compartively subdued reaction in comparison to Ito created this impression?

meggonzo
01-17-2011, 04:59 AM
It's interesting... Witt actually completed all her planned content in her 1988 Olympic LP yet the general consensus was that she skated well below par.. Perhaps the audience's compartively subdued reaction in comparison to Ito created this impression?

Wasn't the double loop supposed to be a triple?

bardtoob
01-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Wasn't the double loop supposed to be a triple?

Witt never planned a 3Lp, but she could do it. Right after the freeskate at 1987 Worlds, Thomas commented that she did not even know Witt had a 3Lp until the freeskate. Witt had not been doing it in practice all week but put it in because she knew she could win if she landed the 3Lp but was going to place the same if she did a 2Lp or fell on a 3Lp.

Maximillian
01-17-2011, 07:15 AM

It might also have to do with the minute or so of skating on two feet in the middle of the program. Still, I think people expected Witt to do the 3loop, judges included based on her performance at Worlds in '87, it was the Olympics after all. So regardless of whether or not she ever had any intention of doing it, the double loop was a disappointment.

I also got the sense that Witt was disappointed with herself based on her reaction, perhaps she wasn't but an ecstactic response by a skater after a great performance goes a long way in sending the message to an audience how to respond (as evidenced by Witt in '87 and Manley and Ito in '88). Witt was rather subdued at the end of her LP and the audience sensed it.

olympic
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Since R/Z didnt do throw jumps, and since B/G had far better choreography they probably could have beaten them at the 1980 Games under fair judging (which of course it wouldnt have been probably, especialy as it wasnt in any discipline at those Games). R/Z on the other hand have so much amazing speed and power though and such amazing lifts and strong side by side jumps.

Yes. Comparing them was apples to oranges - R/Z creamed them on their strong points; lifts, speed, split triple twist, but B/G did things R/Z didn't bother with at all- throw jumps. But I don't think throw jumps were obligatory though because TT would've put them in the program. As far as I can tell, the SBS jumps were similar for the 2 pairs.

At any rate, I think a split panel in either direction would've shown fair judging, but who really knows what would've happened. I just now doubt that the politik at the time would've permitted a B/G win regardless. The Soviets had a stranglehold on Pairs

It might also have to do with the minute or so of skating on two feet in the middle of the program. Still, I think people expected Witt to do the 3loop, judges included based on her performance at Worlds in '87, it was the Olympics after all. So regardless of whether or not she ever had any intention of doing it, the double loop was a disappointment.

I also got the sense that Witt was disappointed with herself based on her reaction, perhaps she wasn't but an ecstactic response by a skater after a great performance goes a long way in sending the message to an audience how to respond (as evidenced by Witt in '87 and Manley and Ito in '88). Witt was rather subdued at the end of her LP and the audience sensed it.

Yes. The 1:16 in the middle of the program where Witt did nothing but vamp, as well as the more front-loaded jump layout and the lack of anything harder than a 3t or 3s, showed that the 'Carmen' program was more poorly constructed and easier than the WSS program of the previous year.

I think Witt was expected to do at least a 3L. I remember commentators talking about an ambitious program from her at the '87 NHK competition

briancoogaert
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I think Anissina & Peizerat vs Fusar Poli & Margalio was a big rivalry in dance in the early 2000s.
A rivalry made by the judges. IMO, FP&M as World champ is a joke. Anissina&Peizerat were superior in every aspect ! :slinkaway