PDA

View Full Version : greatest rivalry ever

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Satellitegirl
01-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Boitano vs Orser or Witt vs Thomas IMO

Karpenko
01-16-2011, 06:52 AM
It didn't last more than 2 years but the Kwan/Lipinski rivalry always had me on the edge of my seat. Even at small GP events.

Yags/Plush rivalry lasted longer, but I prefer the above two's skating as a combo compared to them too so they get my vote. :P

vodkashot
01-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Yags/Plush, by far.

Mostly because it brought us gems like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08R7-C2KyQ. Oh, and this as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A96cVuOSeI

The Accordion
01-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for posting those vodkashot! I had not seen the 2nd one before now. Is Plushenko actually suggesting that Yagudin's hypnosis made Plushenko fall?

(Not to start more Plushenko bashing - I am just wondering if that translation is accurate?)

briancoogaert
01-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Well, I didn't want to vote for Yagudin vs Plushenko since many people already did it :lol:
My second option was Boitano vs Orser, the difference is that it was a friendly rivalry.

let`s talk
01-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Yags Plush.
No question.

+1.

floskate
01-16-2011, 10:42 AM
who the hell is Scott Cramer?

Cramer was 2nd at Nationals in 1977 and '79, was 5th at Worlds in '79 also and very much on a par with Scott Hamilton in the late 1970's. The rivalry is infamous because of a lot of trash talking which all resulted from Carlo Fassi at one time training both of them but clearly favouring Cramer which pushed Hamilton to go to Don Laws. When Hamilton made the 1980 Olympic team ahead of Cramer he was able to gloat to Fassi that he had picked the wrong Scott. :lol:

Cramer went on to win the Spanish World Pro event in 1980 and the US Professional title in 1981. He's a Doctor now I believe. Here's one of his best performances from the 1980 pre Olympic event at Lake Placid called Norton skate where he was beaten by.....Scott Hamilton! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEKAj9ko4lc&feature=related

paskatefan
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Brian B. vs. Brian O. - I prefer friendly rivalries, although the one between Alexei Y. & Plushy was pretty amazing.

I don't consider Todd vs. Timmy a rivalry, but I do consider Todd vs. Elvis a rivalry. Loved seeing both of them on the World podium. I got the sense that it was also a respectful rivalry, like with the Brians.

As for the ladies - Michelle vs. Irina, Michelle vs. Tara

Extranjera
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I voted for Yagudin & Plushenko, but If I could choose 2 options, I would vote also on Yuna & Mao.

no Michelle Kwan & Irina Slutskaya on the list?

judgejudy27
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I really feel that Kwan v. Slute was a manufactured rivalry. At the time I was all for it and a huge Slutskaya fan, but in retrospect, Kwan really had it all over Irina and it should never have been as close as it was. I think their rivalry was more the result of Russian politics and the void left by Lipinski's departure.

I disagree. Other than the 2001-2002 season Grand Prix there isnt one win Irina had over Michelle that was controversial, and Irina had many wins over Michelle from 2000 onwards. And Kwan didnt have it all over Irina. Irina was definitely the better jumper, probably the better spinner, skated with more speed and power, was comparable and at times better in footwork (even though Kwan also had excellent footwork). At her best she was technically superior to Kwan, which wasnt true of any of the other top skaters of that era.

And with her back problems Tara would have lost her triple-triple combos and without those she would have dropped out of the top 5 before long probably. At the time it seemed like a shame but in retrospect thank goodness for her she turned pro when she did. She probably would have taken silver at the 99 Nationals and Worlds then gone downhill in a big way from there.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
I disagree with your disagreement. That is not to say Irina didn't have excellent qualities and didn't do things better than Kwan, but comparing routines and performances during the height of their rivalry, there was just a difference in quality of skating and even choreography. For all the grief Kwan gets for her lack of transitions, I don't get why Irina isn't criticized more for her mash-up, incohesive, pose-heavy, Rachael Flatt-style cutesy/bored looking angst, (front-load heavy SPs) choreography in the early 2000s that was emptier than most of the top skaters (in fact, I think she's a big reason why Kwan started scaling back on her choreography to stroke around in order to catch up to Irina's speed skating).

But we can just leave it at that because otherwise, we'd be talking in circles and it's obvious we'll continue to disagree on this point.

Mafke
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm gonna throw some more love toward Fratianne/Poetzsch

- Fratianne's was the first eligible career I followed (to the extent that was possible at the time)
- it lasted for an entire olympic cycle
- there was the whole cold war vibe going on
- figures added a special mystique to the competition
- the lack of media overkill also added to the mystique
- the whole 'amateur' thing also added to the mystique
- it really was close most of the time

pinky166
01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Battle of the Brians for sure!

judgejudy27
01-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I disagree with your disagreement. That is not to say Irina didn't have excellent qualities and didn't do things better than Kwan, but comparing routines and performances during the height of their rivalry, there was just a difference in quality of skating and even choreography.

Like I said other than the 2001-2002 Grand Prix final when has Irina ever had a victory over Kwan she did not deserve or that was controversial. If nobody can answer that question then obviously it was a major rivalry.

In fact the only arguably controversial losses Kwan has ever had in a major event her whole career were agaisnt Lipinski .

judgejudy27
01-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm gonna throw some more love toward Fratianne/Poetzsch

- Fratianne's was the first eligible career I followed (to the extent that was possible at the time)
- it lasted for an entire olympic cycle
- there was the whole cold war vibe going on
- figures added a special mystique to the competition
- the lack of media overkill also added to the mystique
- the whole 'amateur' thing also added to the mystique
- it really was close most of the time

Looking back it doesnt seem that great to me. I guess since it was so competitive it was great in that sense. However Fratianne and her coach whining after every time they lost to Poetzsch (even times it was clearly justified and Linda was in fact overmarked like the 78 Worlds), the bland and rather dull skating of both, the fact neither ever had any kind of historic performance or historical battle, and that all the contests seemed to involve either splats (77 and 79 Worlds by Poetzsch), controversy (Fratianne losing in 1980), or just overall mediocre skating (1980 Worlds except for LP by Fratianne) and I dont see it as anything memorable or great.

Personally I would have been glad when both just retired and they moved on to some more interesting, consistent, and classy skaters. I would rather watch tapes of Watanabe, Marie Allen, Sandy Lenz, Denise Beillmann, or Elene Voderezova than either of any of their performances anyway.