PDA

View Full Version : Supporting a Skater

MountainTime
01-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Its that time of year again when I mention the cost of sending a skater to Nationals. Fundraisers are few and far between so some parents are struggling, especially in this economy, to keep their child on the ice. Last year one mother had to borrow several thousand dollars so her son could make it to Spokane for the week.
Did you know the coach gets paid for the entire time they are at Nationals? Meals, hotels, dress clothes for the after functions all add up quickly. Sometimes there's practice ice at another rink, transportation and other expenses.
I am not suggesting you need to sponsor a skater with big bucks. Picking up a meal or leaving an envelope at the hotel front desk with a bit of cash goes a long way to helping a family. Instead of buying a stuffie to throw on the ice the same amount of money covers a breakfast. Souvenirs make great memories so purchase two t-shirts and give one to your favorite skater so the parents can save a little there.
Your skater will be so grateful and you'll feel good too.

judiz
01-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Many skaters are registered with the New England Amateur Skating Foundation (NEASF). The NEASF is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to assist competitive amateur skaters. All regional, sectional, national and international skaters are eligible for assistance.

Donations are received from both individuals and corporations. The monies collected are then used to defray skating-related expenses such as ice time, lessons, costumes, equipment, competition fees, strength training, ballet, off-ice classes and travel expenses.

The skater must submit a bill or bills signed by the skater as well as the head coach. If the skater is under 18 years of age, the bills must be signed by a parent and the head coach. Payment is made directly to the vendor or provider of the services.

New England Amateur Skating Foundation
P.O. BOX 6881
Providence, RI. 02940

Sylvia
01-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Another option is to make a donation through the Michael Weiss Foundation: http://www.michaelweiss.org/donation.htm

News thread in GSD: 2011 Michael Weiss Foundation Scholarship Award Recipients (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76882)

P.S. If any all-event ticket holders would like to donate any of their 2011 US Nationals tickets that they will not be using for distribution to the skaters' families instead, feel free to send me a PM. Thanks to all the generous people who have donated this year and in past years! :)

Aceon6
01-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Agree on donating to NEASF. No need to possibly get the skater in trouble with eligibility issues.

As for other ways to help, there are no rules preventing someone from defraying the travel expenses of the parent or guardian. If you know someone who needs the help, you can slip them a few bucks.

There was someone at SCoB many, many years ago who used to buy ice time. Skaters would get their schedules and they'd be marked paid. Not sure if that violated any rules or not.

alilou
01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
snip.......
Did you know the coach gets paid for the entire time they are at Nationals? Meals, hotels, dress clothes for the after functions
My bold. This is true :eek: ? Families have to pay for the coaches dress clothes for the after functions? :eek:

Sylvia
01-15-2011, 06:52 PM
No, that's the start of a a new sentence and pertains to the skater.

alilou
01-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Oops. Sorry. :duh: I should read more carefully :lol:

azskatefan
01-16-2011, 12:11 AM
There was someone at SCoB many, many years ago who used to buy ice time. Skaters would get their schedules and they'd be marked paid. Not sure if that violated any rules or not.

I highly doubt that any type of private (and often anonymous) donations violate any eligibility, as it's not like basketball, swimming or softball where the athletes go on to compete in the NCAA level. If a skater is accepting money to perform, appear, etc., it does but buying someone's ice time or picking up grandma's chicken fingers is generally fine.

Sugar64
01-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Thank you for the reminder. I'll be donating.

Tammi
01-16-2011, 03:01 PM
This link talks about "sponsoring" a particular skater, http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=342 . I believe if you donate to them through the NEASF, it would be tax deductable for individuals. However, if you give money directly to the skater, then it's considered a gift and there wouldn't be any tax benefits. I don't think there are any limitations now in regards to what skaters can accept from sponsors (private or corporate), with the exception of show appearances. Skaters can receive money for show appearances, provided they are USFS sanctioned and they have permission from their home club. If it's not a sanctioned event, then there are certain steps they need to take to protect their eligibility.