PDA

View Full Version : Chan takes great leap forward with double quads

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sugar
01-15-2011, 12:27 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/figureskating/article/922195--dimanno-chan-takes-great-leap-forward-with-double-quads
Victoria is a tune-up for Tokyo and an opportunity to evaluate how the two-quad challenge responds under competitive duress. “There was pretty much no better time to try it than at nationals,” says Chan, who’s pleased and confident with the relative ease of the double quad inclusion. “It’s been really consistent. It doesn’t take a lot of mental effort.”

essence_of_soy
01-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Mate, if it isn't too much to ask, why don't you just concentrate on putting out a clean competition first before upping the difficulty.

DaveRocks
01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Good for Patrick. Looking forward to seeing him next week.

centerpt1
01-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Uh...doesn't he do quads becase he can't do a 3A?

I am so ready for multiple fall Chan to win Worlds and then get outta Dodge. The fall/quad rule will change, and hopefully we can move on...

Dave of the North
01-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Uh...doesn't he do quads becase he can't do a 3A?

I am so ready for multiple fall Chan to win Worlds and then get outta Dodge. The fall/quad rule will change, and hopefully we can move on...

Hate to disappoint you, but zero-fall Chan won the Grand Prix Final...he's no longer talking about getting out of Dodge. Your headcases/underdogs will be crying in the back row with you after Worlds...:P

professordeb
01-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Hey Sugar! I found an article about Patrick adding the 2nd quad when looking for some hockey stuff only I'm about 30 minutes behind ya!

I think it's great that he's going to try it and might as well strike while you feel you can. Try it out at "home" and see how it goes given that he's likely going to be Canadian champ.

Staying clean - has any top male skater gone clean in both the short and free programs at one competition yet this season? I'm thinking there is but for the life of me, I can't recall (and I'm too lazy to go looking it up - just too weary, actually).

He wouldn't be the first skater who finds doing quads easier than triple axels. :lol:

caseyedwards
01-15-2011, 01:40 AM
He's been saying his quad is better than his 3a. Not surprising that he would do two quads. I guess he still plans to do a 3a at the halfway point though. That's been tough for him. I wonder if he will do a quad double or quad triple for the combo quad.

MR-FAN
01-15-2011, 01:45 AM
:lol: I can't believe this news is being met with negativity :P Will nothing please you people?

Good for him! Doesn't take a genius to realize going from no quads 1 season to doing 3 is one hellova step forward technically. And testing this at nationals is a great strategy

DuckLikesSkate
01-15-2011, 01:46 AM
“It’s been really consistent. It doesn’t take a lot of mental effort.”

Yeah, we'll see how consistent it is in competition...

blade runner
01-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Patrick has the best edges in world, I have'nt seen a better quad. His triple axle can get him in trouble.
If he skates lands the quads and misses the triple axle he is still un beatable. His speed and edges give him a huge advantage over the competition.
If you have seen him live you will understand.

alilou
01-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Some more articles

Beverley Smith
A Canadian figure skating battle looms
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/a-canadian-figure-skating-battle-looms/article1871671/

Cam Cole
Patrick Chan, from ‘if’ to ‘when’: stretching his quads in Victoria
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Patrick+Chan+from+when+stretching+quads+Victoria/4111655/story.html

Cleve Dheensaw
Champion Patrick Chan will attempt back-to-back quad jumps in Victoria
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Champion+Patrick+Chan+will+attempt+back+back+quad+ jumps+Victoria/4111893/story.html

They're all trying to hype a big rivalry between Patrick and Kevin :lol: While I appreciate how much Kevin has improved he's not quite at Patrick's level yet.

skateboy
01-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Looking forward to Patrick's quad attempts. The ones he's hit so far this season have been gorgeous.

Japanfan
01-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Patrick has had a very impressive success rate with the quad this season, especially since he has just introduced it to competition. If he is more consistent on the quad than the 3A, it makes sense to do two of the former and one of the latter, rather than vice versa.

alij
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Putting my dislike for Chan as a person aside his quad is a thing of beauty and I am not surprised he is going for two of them as opposed to two triple axels. Will be interested to see how it goes under competition stress.

When I saw the headline for a second I interpreted it as a quad-quad combo and thought that would be insane!

clarie
01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Putting my dislike for Chan as a person aside his quad is a thing of beauty and I am not surprised he is going for two of them as opposed to two triple axels. Will be interested to see how it goes under competition stress.

When I saw the headline for a second I interpreted it as a quad-quad combo and thought that would be insane!

:lol: I thought the same thing for a brief moment. It seems natural for him to do what most comes naturally to him. He's not the only skater who has had problems with the 3A. Many fine elite skaters have also had the same problem, and I hope he can do it.