PDA

View Full Version : Chan takes great leap forward with double quads

Pages : 1 [2] 3

natsukie325
01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Staying clean - has any top male skater gone clean in both the short and free programs at one competition yet this season? I'm thinking there is but for the life of me, I can't recall (and I'm too lazy to go looking it up - just too weary, actually).

He wouldn't be the first skater who finds doing quads easier than triple axels. :lol:

I think Kozuka skated two clean programs in GPs both in China and Paris.
He didn't won the event, however, Florent Amodio skated two cleanest programs in Eric Bompad, too.

And I was kind of disappointed when Stephan didn't include 3A in his program even though I love his performance a lot. So as Patrick.

Skate Talker
01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
The IceNetwork story about this is about both Chan and Reynolds doing quads and would seem to indicate Chan has great respect for Reynolds abilities. :lol: though - the article says Kevin did 3 quads in the Short program at Skate Canada.

RumbleFish
01-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Even with 2 quads in his LP, Patrick will have hard time winning Worlds in Tokyo since Takahashi is going to do 2 quadriple flips and double the amount of gel applied to his hair.

FunnyBut
01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I think this is a smart move. The quads do seem to come to him much more easily than the 3A. It would be exciting if he could do it, there will be relatively little pressure at Canadians, I wish him the best :)

Brian
01-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Patrick is a talented young man. He' will be unstoppable with 2 quads...I can totally see him on the top at the World Championships podium this time.

The Accordion
01-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Patrick is a talented young man. He' will be unstoppable with 2 quads...I can totally see him on the top at the World Championships podium this time.

Skategods - you didn't hear nothin'! Move along.

clarie
01-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Skategods - you didn't hear nothin'! Move along.

:lol: yeh, move along. I wouldn't say he will win a certain major comp this year, but this certainly does improve his chances.............Gooooo Patrick!!!!:)

Sugar
01-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Mmmm... so Chan will be going to college soon? wonder how that will impact his skating???
http://www.canada.com/sports/winter/Chan+Reynolds+class+Canadian+figure+skating/4117239/story.html
He soon plans on enrolling in business and languages at Colorado College in Colorado Springs and juggling academics and skating.

altai_rose
01-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Oh, so Chan will be doubling quads? :P ;)

DreamSkates
01-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Looking forward to Patrick's quad attempts. The ones he's hit so far this season have been gorgeous.

Maybe this will be an exemplar season for Chan. What he and others have been waiting for and looking for. All things coming together and working for him. Who knows! It will be interesting.

wingnut
01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I really love how Chan doesn't hesitate to up his technical difficulty. He's someone that truly pushes himself to be the best he can be, in times at the expense of short-term gain.

I remember his breakthrough season in 07/08 when he just started landing the 3axel and had been winning medals all season. He upset Buttle at Nationals, and then just before Worlds decided to rework his LP and add a second 3axel because he felt he needed to push himself so that he could be a contender at the Olympics. That didn't work out well for him at Worlds, and he likely could have placed a few spots higher than 9th had he stuck with what had worked all season, but he was looking at the big picture and did indeed enter the Olympics as a serious contender.

So good for him for being willing to incorporate a second quad, even if at the expense of a 2nd axel. We'll see if he ends up going for it and regardless it's smart to try it at Nationals and then decide at Worlds if it's worth trying it again.

And as much as I do like what COP has done for the in-betweens, it'll be great to see the Canadian boys out there pushing the quads again!

LilJen
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Even with 2 quads in his LP, Patrick will have hard time winning Worlds in Tokyo since Takahashi is going to do 2 quadriple flips and double the amount of gel applied to his hair.

+3 GOE for quantities of hair gel. In DoggyGirl's MCOP.

kppt
01-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Kind of wondering what all you naysayers think now, after seeing Chan nail 3 clean quads in 2 programs at Cdn's??

ks1227
01-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Kind of wondering what all you naysayers think now, after seeing Chan nail 3 clean quads in 2 programs at Cdn's??

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. :lol: Turns out the joke is on everyone who has been criticizing Chan this season for insisting on going for the jumps he hadn't quite mastered yet. Now that he's built up his skill, he's starting to land a very full arsenal more consistently; and the critics up-thread and in some other threads have a bit of egg on their faces. :P :D

Twilight1
01-27-2011, 05:27 AM
I am thoroughly impressed with how Chan has developed over the season. It makes the Chan hate pretty funny now that he has landed so many quads. Ironically, he still has points left on the table to try to achieve by World's...maybe score 300 points? That would seriously be something to see with any skater to be honest.