PDA

View Full Version : great excuse for getting out of jury duty

Pages : [1] 2 3

Artemis@BC
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
This story really gave me a chuckle as I was driving in this morning.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/sal-cat-gets-called-jury-duty-boston-20110113-125246-315.html

ChelleC
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Too funny!

HisWeirness
01-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry, but if you put your pet cat on your Census form (I thought that they don't give out name info from Census forms???) then I have to post this clip:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/4165/saturday-night-live-census-taker

"Don't push your politics on me, Pal!" :P

Anita18
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I didn't think they requested name information on census forms. From what I understand, it's DMV address information that they randomly draw from, which why my roommate gets summoned even though she's not a US citizen. :lol:

I did get summoned twice in two months though. Random draw my ass! :lol: Apparently the "choosing" database is not hooked up to the "registration" database because they already had me in the phone system as having already served.

And they still asked if I wanted to participate. NO! :revenge: :lol:

Rob
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes, I thought it was DMV too.

skatingfan5
01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
If it's the DMV which is the source, that might explain why I went many years without ever being called for jury duty. Of course, when I finally received a jury duty assignment letter three years ago, I still didn't have a driver's license. I thought that they used information derived from both DMV and voter registration records.

numbers123
01-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I thought it was from the voter registration, which is why some people choose not to register. Or at least that is their justification.
I have been selected for jury duty three times. I was selected for 3 different trials. Rather than trying to get out of it, I felt it was an honor and something to take very seriously. Since I am caring for my grandchildren now, I am not sure how this can be worked out. Parents have to take vacation time because I am on jury duty and can not care for their children during the day?

PrincessLeppard
01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Omaha uses both driver's license and voter registration. I just served on a jury, and even though it turned out I was the alternate, I would do it again.

It was my fifth time being summoned, but the first time I was actually selected. I think this DOES show it's random. My dad, for example, has NEVER been summoned. If it wasn't random, he would be summoned before I would be summoned a second time. Or a third. Or fifth. :P

Finley and Peanut have also never been summoned. ;)

barbk
01-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't get it -- I've been driving for nearly forty years, and registered to vote just a few years short of that -- and I've only ever been called for jury duty twice: once with a date several days after our scheduled move out-of-state, and the second time for a case where I got quickly disqualified because it was a sex assault case involving a girl about the same age as my daughter. Other than that, nada. Mr. Barbk, however, has been called at least five times over the same interval.

*Jen*
01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
There is a very strong argument for doing away with juries, which I happen to agree with. Given how hard people try to get out of it, how reluctant people are to do it etc, you have to wonder if it's truely representative and if the person is really getting a fair trial.

This debate has been going on in the UK for years and the only reason they haven't been abolished is that they do reduce worries of corruption.

There has to be a better medium, though. Numbers, you might be in the minority thinking it's an honour. Most people think it's a pain in the arse.

Tinami Amori
01-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Numbers, you might be in the minority thinking it's an honour. Most people think it's a pain in the arse.

I would love to be in the jury at an interesting and challenging trial. Always wanted to, since I was 8 years old and saw 12 Angry Men. But who is going to run my affairs and business, and take care of my pet and help my mother when I am gone all day? It's not about loosing money while not working.... If I can "freeze-frame" in time my business associates' orders and needs, my associates, my pets, my mother and relatives, or all of the NEEDS of theirs - I'd be on jury!

I agree that the jury could be "one-sided" if most productive employed people who have family and other responsibilities, and can't afford not to work, or let go of their business for one day or it will fail, can't be on the panel. Or take people in a family situation, where one partner decided to work and the other decided to raise children, as a mutual plan: how can one leave work and the other leave children?

I am concerned about various aspects of the "group" who has time during the day, for so many weeks and possibly months, to be on jury. Makes me wonder why they are willing to leave their jobs for so long, or not working, or have so much time....

In my perfect world, the jury would be selected from a group of recently retired professionals with education who were employed until the day of their retirement. At least I would know they are driven, responsible people, with knowledge and experience.

KatieC
01-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I loved the movie Twelve Angry Men, but even though in my mind I agree with jury duty, my body doesn't want to do it. I can't sit still for that long, and it seems they only want me when something has come up that prevents me. First time I fell out of a tree, 2nd and 3 times I was working a federal election that was more important than jury duty. In Canada I'm pretty sure the pool is chosen from municipal election rolls. It can't be pulled from a Census. They called my mum once, and I had to get her doctor to write a letter. She was just going into a chronic care hospital.

*Jen*
01-15-2011, 12:30 AM
12 Angry Men isn't the norm of jury duty. I sat in on a few trials as part of my law degree and the majority of them are exceptionally boring. Even the fascinating murder trial I saw a couple of months ago was fascinating for a small portion of the time, and was for most of the time discussing the exact distance between buildings, showing photos of the street, etc etc.

12 Angry Men style trials tend to be retried more often than not because the jury fail to reach a decision, so you've completely wasted your time.

Grannyfan
01-15-2011, 02:30 AM
I've been a registered voter ever since I became 21 but was never called for jury duty until around 10 years ago. Called three times since, all before I retired. The first time I served, I had to give my "salary," which I think was something like $15 a day, to my school district. (I was a teacher.) They changed that policy later. Most days that were scheduled for court we didn't even have to report because the cases were settled. In fact, the last term I served we didn't have to report a single time after the orientation day. I've sat on three juries, and as Jen said, it's surely not like the movies. Everyone I served with took the responsibility very seriously. It's quite sobering when the judge gives those instructions before the jury retires to begin deliberations.

KatieC
01-15-2011, 02:30 AM
The few times I had to be in court were dreadfully boring. And of course it didn't help that I couldn't read a book while sitting there. Disrespectful! But the one that topped the cake was when the crown attorney (that doesn't look like it's spelled right) and the defense attorney both agreed on 6 months for the scumbag, and the judge gave him three. I think maybe you have to be interested to go - otherwise it's like being at a baseball game when you don't understand and don't want to.