PDA

View Full Version : 2013 GP Final is hosted in Japan just before Sochi Olympics

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

manhn
01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't understand why people can't understand the frustration. If people will watch the event on tv or online, then location is probably not an issue (time zones notwithstanding). So, if someone complains about the location, it's probably because they would like to attend the event live, but the chosen location will make that difficult. Understand?

Also, I don't think anyone has anything against the JSF. Everytime a location is chosen for an event, someone complains. But the complaints differ. I don't see anyone complaining that Winnipeg wuzrobbed because Japan gets gpf.

allezfred
01-16-2011, 01:20 AM
yeah, here's a great idea of promoting skating where it's a bit less popular - organize all major events thousands of kilometres away :rolleyes:

Here's an idea - get involved with your federation, work your way up to chairperson and then bid on hosting the GPF. ;)

RunnersHigh
01-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Well, we still don't know where the GPF will be this year. Korea? ;)

Hope it would happen! And I don't mind in Japan so often.

Asli
01-16-2011, 03:57 AM
I understand the political/economical side of this issue, but still, it only makes the Japanese fans more spoiled (in a good way - meaning they get a chance to love the sport more and more) while keeps an opportunity to attend a big event away from other fans like me. How are people in Europe supposed to develop their love for the sport if they don't really have too many opportunities to see the world level of it live?

Why don't you attend the European Championships? The World Championships are held in European countries roughly half of the time and the French and Russian GP events that are also world class. The Junior Worlds are held in Europe most of the time.

Anyway, the public in European countries shouldn't need extra encouragement to develop their love for the sport. Some of these countries are the oldest figure skating powers, they don't need to be treated like some newly emerging countries where the sport is budding. If the audiences still can't fill half of the arena in most events and sponsors aren't interested because the general public couldn't care less, well, maybe one may look for the reasons in the image of the sport, but holding one or two extra GP finals in one European country or the other won't change this.

mia joy
01-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Why don't you attend the European Championships? The World Championships are held in European countries roughly half of the time and the French and Russian GP events that are also world class. The Junior Worlds are held in Europe most of the time.

I do attend Europeans as often as possible. But it's not quite the same, you know, especially that lately I've had this manner of falling in love with non-European skaters. The Worlds are too expensive for me. GPF lets you see more in a shorter period of time, therefore your expenses for hotels and stuff are lower. And GPFs are attended by the best of the best, they give you an opportunity to see more excellent skaters than the regular GPs. And I don't really pay attention to Junior events. Now you get why I'm dreaming of a GPF?

Roxanne
01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
I do attend Europeans as often as possible. But it's not quite the same, you know, especially that lately I've had this manner of falling in love with non-European skaters. The Worlds are too expensive for me. GPF lets you see more in a shorter period of time, therefore your expenses for hotels and stuff are lower. And GPFs are attended by the best of the best, they give you an opportunity to see more excellent skaters than the regular GPs. And I don't really pay attention to Junior events. Now you get why I'm dreaming of a GPF?

Can you go to the GPF in Sochi?

Akira Andrea
01-17-2011, 05:55 AM
I think that the discussion as for hosting of GP final is on mental aspect exceedingly.

Even if the Grand Prix Final is hosted in any country, the number of people which can be watched at the venue directly is at most 10,000 or 20,000 only.
The other remaining people have not any way except being satisfied with TV broadcasting.
But if the way to watch is TV broadcasting, the hosting country will not have so important meaning.

As for economic aspect, it may have little meaning.

Though GP final had been hosted in many countries, I hear that sometimes there were vacant seats galore in some venues.
But, if being hosted in Japan, the venue will become always filled to capacity, because the figure skating is becoming one of most popular sports now.

Moreover, because Japan is a safe country as for the public peace, player and foreign visitor rarely need to pay attention to something except the competition.
The skate fan in Japan will send warm cheering to the player in any country.

whitebear
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
According to ISU Communication 1666, Skate Canada will host 2011/2012 GPF, and 2012 4CC will be held in Colorado Springs.

ISU Communication 1666
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2460

So, all in all, it looks not bad. :)

GPF
2011/2012 TBD, Canada
2012/2013 Sochi, Russia
2013/2014 TBD, Japan

4CC
2012 Colorado Springs, USA
2013 Osaka, Japan

Worlds
2012 Nice, France
2013 London, Canada

sk9tingfan
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
This probably means that Skate America 2011 is not destined for Colorado Springs. Anyone want to speculate location?

julieann
01-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Are other cities even making a bid :shuffle: ?

The GP final has been hosted:
7 times in Europe (3 times in Russia, 2 in France, 1 in Italy, 1 in Germany)
6 times in Asia (3 times in Japan, 2 in China and 1 in Korea)
3 times in NA (2 in Canada)

Clearly NA is not too spoiled :lol:

How about 2011 and 2012? I know France was interested in hosting a GP final but then they got Worlds 2012...

Let's not forget the Worlds in 2009 were in LA and the Olympics the next year were in Canada. I don't see how Asia is being spoiled any more than anyone else. Worlds in LA were a short drive for me. Otherwise I have to fly. I wish I lived in Europe :(

allezfred
01-20-2011, 03:28 PM
According to ISU Communication 1666, Skate Canada will host 2011/2012 GPF

Whineypeg for 2011 GPF! :cheer2:

Frau Muller
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Hoorah for 4Cs at Colorado Springs! I would much rather go to a 4Cs than Euros, given that most of the top skaters are from places other than Europe nowadays -- North Am. dancers, Chinese pairs, Japanese singles (with a North Am guy or two in the mix + a Korean lady). The trick is to get federations to respect 4Cs enough to send their "A-list" skaters to the event always. IF that happens in 2012, many fans will flock to Colo Springs.

Dave of the North
01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Whineypeg for 2011 GPF! :cheer2:

As long as it isn't Kitchener - the fan support would be great - but it is the most uncomfortable arena seating I've ever been in.

JerseySlore
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm doubtful federations will respect 4cc enough to send their A team. It's a great opportunity for lesser skaters to rack up ranking points. I'm actually surprised JFS is sending their top skaters in post-O year.

azskatefan
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm doubtful federations will respect 4cc enough to send their A team. It's a great opportunity for lesser skaters to rack up ranking points. I'm actually surprised JFS is sending their top skaters in post-O year.

To their credit, with the exception last year (because of the Olympics), Four Continents has been getting better in terms of the "A" skaters.