PDA

View Full Version : 2013 GP Final is hosted in Japan just before Sochi Olympics

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Taso
01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Magadan! Vladivostok! Khabarovsk! Birobidzhan! :cheer2:

:rofl: I'd totally make a Gulag themed program for the Magadan Euros!

senorita
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
shouldnt something be hosted in Sochi before Olys, like with the other venues in the past?

Squibble
01-14-2011, 08:28 PM
shouldnt something be hosted in Sochi before Olys, like with the other venues in the past?

The 2012 Grand Prix Final will be in Sochi.

laviemn
01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
If you all understand that it's a financial issue, then what are your practical solutions? The money to run this sport has to come from somewhere, and there's no guarantee that skating will boom in another market sufficiently to fill the void if and when it cools down in Japan.

A smart skater would take any opportunities they had to build a fan-base in Japan right now. As for skipping GP events in the Olympic year, I hope at least none of the ice dancers are stupid enough to do that.

ks777
01-14-2011, 08:54 PM
The cash that the ISU is getting from the JSF must be tremendous, and it seems like Japan is hosting every pre-Olympics GPF (2013, 2009, 2005). I agree with BigBO8822, it's too much. I would strongly prefer to see the combined Senior/Junior Grand Prix Final in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. How about Great Britain and Germany, among the countries who don't host the Senior GP every year?

It may be because hosting in Japan is most profitable for the ISU? It's always packed crowd there unlike in the US or Europe, so it makes sense to me. Plus I am pretty sure Japanese tv stations(not JSF) are paying more for the tv rights than any other countries.

floskate
01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
It's totally obvious why so many competitions are hosted in Asia and especially Japan since 2005. The JSF and more importantly the Japanese TV stations are probably right now keeping our sport afloat financially, thanks to the mania for figure skating over there. I for one am very grateful for it, as well as their gorgeous HD broadcasts which so quickly appear on youtube and fsvids. If it weren't for the popularity of FS in Asia, where exactly would the sport be right now??? Scary thought..... :(

professordeb
01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Hmmm ... how sad for me only because it's not likely I could travel that far. I've not done a lot of travelling and never outside my continent. I would have liked to have started with something a bit closer - anywhere in the U.S. or Europe. {{sigh}}
I will just have to live it through my FSU friends.

allezfred
01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Well, we still don't know where the GPF will be this year. Korea? ;)

Squibble
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, we still don't know where the GPF will be this year.

:sekret: A frozen pond outside Tashkent.

mia joy
01-15-2011, 12:35 AM
They'd probably be better attended. :shuffle:

yeah, here's a great idea of promoting skating where it's a bit less popular - organize all major events thousands of kilometres away :rolleyes:

ponta1
01-15-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm certainly not understanding the grumbling by some here. I think Japan is a great place to host this event.

RumbleFish
01-15-2011, 05:07 AM
IMO, GPFs just before Olympics are all about politics where certain skaters get propped up and some held down, though it doesn't necessarily reflect on Olympic results. Last year, it was Lysacek and Takahashi receiving inflated PCS, as well as Yuna Kim getting lowballed on PCS to same level as Ando. The former worked in Vancouver, the latter did not.

Having said that, I don't really care about Japan getting to hold GPF just before Sochi. They have the financial hence the political power, and it would be stupid for them to not leverage it. It's the way our capitalism works, and it would be a waste of time complaining about it.

mia joy
01-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm certainly not understanding the grumbling by some here. I think Japan is a great place to host this event.

well, let me explain it to you. I would really love to attend a GPF someday, but that's not happening as long as those events keep being hosted in Asia. I understand the political/economical side of this issue, but still, it only makes the Japanese fans more spoiled (in a good way - meaning they get a chance to love the sport more and more) while keeps an opportunity to attend a big event away from other fans like me. How are people in Europe supposed to develop their love for the sport if they don't really have too many opportunities to see the world level of it live?

Libertango
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
well, let me explain it to you. I would really love to attend a GPF someday, but that's not happening as long as those events keep being hosted in Asia.

Are other cities even making a bid :shuffle: ?

The GP final has been hosted:
7 times in Europe (3 times in Russia, 2 in France, 1 in Italy, 1 in Germany)
6 times in Asia (3 times in Japan, 2 in China and 1 in Korea)
3 times in NA (2 in Canada)

Clearly NA is not too spoiled :lol:

How about 2011 and 2012? I know France was interested in hosting a GP final but then they got Worlds 2012...

ponta1
01-15-2011, 04:24 PM
well, let me explain it to you. I would really love to attend a GPF someday, but that's not happening as long as those events keep being hosted in Asia. I understand the political/economical side of this issue, but still, it only makes the Japanese fans more spoiled (in a good way - meaning they get a chance to love the sport more and more) while keeps an opportunity to attend a big event away from other fans like me. How are people in Europe supposed to develop their love for the sport if they don't really have too many opportunities to see the world level of it live?

Well, then, maybe you should take up a campaign to go lobby some of the European federations to host a GPF in the future. If a GPF is not being held in Europe, I hardly find that the fault of the JSF.