PDA

View Full Version : 2008 World pairs event- Who deserved the gold

Pages : [1] 2

judgejudy27
01-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Looking back at the 2008 World pairs event there seemed to be alot of debate about the results. Savchenko & Szolkowy were already considered the Worlds best pairs team but made a mistake in the short and numerous glaring mistakes in the long. Many actually felt the Zhangs were robbed at the time, even though their long was a bit flat and slow and also had a couple mistakes. There were others who actually felt Dube & Davison who had the competition and long program skate of their lives were robbed and should have won the long program and placed higher than bronze. Some also felt Pang & Tong who finished 5th after being hit hard on some UR jump calls were unfairly marked.

Who do you feel should have won the pairs event this year.

taf2002
01-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Who came in 4th? Since 5th is there, shouldn't you list 4th too?

MikiAndoFan#1
01-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Despite the mistakes, I think Savchenko & Szolkowy deserved to win.

MikiAndoFan#1
01-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Kavaguti & Smirnov.

julieann
01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
D/D did have the LP of their life but they were just too far back in the SP to catch up to S/S (not that they would have beat them anyway) they also only beat Z/Z by only 0.66 in the LP. I think the placements were correct in the short and long.

judgejudy27
01-14-2011, 02:25 AM

I guess I should have but I dont remember anyone saying they should have even been on the podium after the event. They were pretty much non discussed after the event and I dont even remember their skate too well except landing a quad throw and making some other mistakes after.

julieann
01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
I guess I should have but I dont remember anyone saying they should have even been on the podium after the event. They were pretty much non discussed after the event and I dont even remember their skate too well except landing a quad throw and making some other mistakes after.

K/S lost the bronze medal by 1.44 points, so they were pretty close to making it on the podium. I remember them really biffing the 3T seq, if they had nailed those, they would have won a medal. P/T getting 4th over them would have been the travesty.

briancoogaert
01-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Savchenko&Szolkowy, without any doubt !
I think they would have deserved the 2010 Euros title as well ;)

judgejudy27
01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Looking at the protocals again I understand the result even though it surprised me a bit at the time. The EuroSport commentators were definitely surprised at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAxTbMwnf6o

MikiAndoFan#1
01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I think they would have deserved the 2010 Euros title as well ;)

Me too! :D

genevieve
01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Why, Johnny Weir, of course. And he would have, if only TPTB in skating weren't so hellbent on persecuting him for being gay! :drama:

Fallcolor
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Savchenko/Szolkowy, as all of the above pairs either splatted/underrotated. D/D I do recall were too far off in the SP...

Plus i think that year the judging panel were rewarding difficult programs (i mean choreography and transitions) a lot better too. hence, S/S would easily win despite technically not skating their LP well.

laviemn
01-14-2011, 10:11 PM
People mostly talk about the LPs when they dispute the results of this event, but how did these teams do in the SPs? I think S/S, Z/Z and K/S were clean and the top 3 after the short. I don't remember more at this point so I don't really have an informed opinion.

miffy
01-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I remember thinking P/T were robbed, but I can't remember if I thought they deserved to actually win or just medal/place higher than they did. :o I have thought they were completely robbed on so many occasions, and then when they do finally win it always seems to be with some not very good performances so it's a total let down. :P

judgejudy27
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
People mostly talk about the LPs when they dispute the results of this event, but how did these teams do in the SPs? I think S/S, Z/Z and K/S were clean and the top 3 after the short. I don't remember more at this point so I don't really have an informed opinion.

S/S were not clean in the short. One of them stepped out of the side by side triple toes. They were 2nd after the short because of this error by about 2.5 points behind the Zhangs.

S/S and P/T were the only top teams to have a miss in the short. Qing Pang stepped out of the triple toe and it was underrotated and downgraded and were 5th in the short. K/S and D/D were clean in the short too and were placed 3rd and 4th, K/S about 3.5 points back of the Zhangs, D/D about 6 points back.