PDA

View Full Version : Condo Owners Protest Against Hospice Next Door - "Bad Luck"

overedge
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Angry+Asian+condo+owners+protest+luck+hospice/4100504/story.html

Buzz
01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
YIKES! So much anger directed at a place meant to do good. A place meant to take care of the terminally ill is not the same as cemetary or crematorium. Sorry for any discomfort and fall in property values but the treatment of the most valunerable amongst us is more important.

LilJen
01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I guess I can sort of understand a cultural taboo, although I don't know much about the many Asian cultures that are likely represented there (Vancouver must have people from just about everywhere in Asia). Still, though: My sister (an RN) is MUCH happier working in hospice now than she was working in intensive care.

barbk
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I always have peaceful thoughts when I go by the hospice where my dad died -- they were so kind to him and to us, and they made his death comfortable and low stress. It was truly a gift.

FunnyBut
01-13-2011, 10:54 PM
My former boss lives next to a cemetary. He always praises the neighbors for being so quiet :lol:

suep1963
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
You know, no one gets out of this world alive. Everybody dies, and sooner or later, your neighbor is going to die.

My bil is a hopsice chaplin. Extended family members have utilized hospice services. Hospice does such good work--it can take the fear out of death and make the last days a person has so much more meaningful.

Karina1974
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM
“We cannot have dying people in our backyard,” said rally organizer Janet Fan. “It’s a cultural taboo to us and we cannot be close to so many dying people. It’s like you open your door and step into a graveyard.”

Fine, take your culture and go back to where it comes from.

jp1andonly
01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
i think it's sick. I would like to kick the noisy neighbours out and ban teenagers because they bring me bad karma but I dont get to do it. I have been ticked off since I read this article last night and will continue to be pissed off until they lose their case. I'm sure they would protest subsidized housing as well and would have some sort of lame petition about that too.