PDA

View Full Version : New Season of "Toddlers and Tiaras"

Pages : [1] 2

overedge
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I watch this :eek: show, and generally it makes me cringe, but the most recent episode got me thisclose to not being able to watch it any more.

This is the episode with the mom of the 15-month-old who said she was disappointed that her first few kids were boys, and the mom's sister joked (ha :rolleyes:) that she wanted a girl so badly that they would have had to put her in a mental hospital if she'd had another son. The mom who said with a completely straight face that her 15-month-old daughter is going to be Miss America, so they have as many people as possible handle the kid so she's used to dealing with the public. The mom who said "Sami-Jo loves to shop and she has great taste" (Sami-Jo being the 15 month old baby). And the mom who said after the pageant "Sami-Jo has to step it up in talent because she didn't do that well in fancy dress" (the baby's main "talent" at this point apparently being toddling).

The only pageant prize I think this mom deserves is a visit from the local child protection agency. And maybe a restraining order :scream:

Nan
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Yea, I do catch this every once in a while when I'm too lazy to use the remote. This episode was w-a-y over the top. All three moms were psycho-babble-crazy. :yikes:

HisWeirness
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Here's a recap that outlines some of the crazy:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/13/toddlers-tiaras-tlc-tricia-samijo/

“She loves to shop. She has great fashion sense.” –Tricia, mother of 15-month-old SamiJo, who was put into pageants because “that’s the whole reason I wanted to have a daughter.”
“I do not know how SamiJo would react today if she didn’t win.” –Tricia, while waiting for the crowning ceremony after having force-fed her baby “special juice” a.k.a. a can of Coke.

jp1andonly
01-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Its a show about what NOT to do with your child. I swear half of them are just batty. While in Canada pagents really don't exist I can see some value in them as they teach a child self confidence. I think the pagent world far exceeds the crazy skating moms of the world....well some of them anyhow :P

overedge
01-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Oooh, I think the best part of this recap is in the comments section: the rant from the sister of one of the little contestants (the sister appeared in the show doing the little contestant's makeup and cheering for her).

Excuse me “Annie on twitter’ this is mercedes, Jaclynns sister and i have you know my grandfather was at an auction and happend to find that hadicapped puppet and he braught it home to Jaclynn WITH the wheelchair and she decided to naem it Arnold. We knew nothing about the history of the puppet untill one of the filming crew members ( Jason) told us information about it. How when he was a kid thye had people travel around to schools teaching them about hanicapped children and they used puppets like Arnold to demonstate. She was four years old and now five. Why in the world would she “Make” her own puppet handicapped. So next time you want to try and trash talk on a little girl i would really appreciate if you had your facts straight! We compete in pageants and its our hobby. Jaclynn decided all on her own. We dont enter her in them unless she specifically asks us if she can do a pageant. Just thought i would state the truth and clear things up! Thanks.
Jaclynns sister,
-Mercedes

HisWeirness
01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
^ I saw that post too. :lol:

i have you know my grandfather was at an auction and happend to find that hadicapped puppet and he braught it home to Jaclynn WITH the wheelchair and she decided to naem it Arnold.

emason
01-14-2011, 12:10 AM
I watch this :eek: show, and generally it makes me cringe, but the most recent episode got me thisclose to not being able to watch it any more.

This show is a pedophile's wet dream, pure and simple.

milanessa
01-14-2011, 12:17 AM
While in Canada pagents really don't exist I can see some value in them as they teach a child self confidence. I think the pagent world far exceeds the crazy skating moms of the world....well some of them anyhow :P

Unfortunately...

http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/

Kruss
01-14-2011, 04:11 AM
I can't watch this show, the commercials alone make me extremely angry. The little girl with the old-lady elegant hairstyle but a pacifier stuck in her mouth, crying and telling her parents they're making her crazy...how can anyone think that's okay?

And as for "my daughter wants to participate, it's her choice" argument from people that I've read, brings the age-old question, who is the child and who is the parent?? Children don't have the maturity to make such decisions.

Gaaaahhh..... :mad:

overedge
01-14-2011, 05:43 AM
And the little contestant's sister digs herself even deeper into the hole....

Nope Just thought yall should know the truth and not be brain washed by people. yes i agree their is some physcotic mothers, however thats not what were about. Jaclynn truly loves competing in pageants and being on stage cant you tell ? Thats not just her on TV thats her true personality. I couldnt have asked for a better sister. She looks up to me and sees that my hobbies are being on stage and she shares the same interest. I am not here to bash anyone trust me ive seen enough of it, im just here to state the truth so that no one is confused. Keep in mind we were filmed for three days. LONG hours and quite the experience. They also do ALOT of editing so please keep that in mind while watching other girls. I hope this clears up a few things and if you have any questions i would rathher you ask me and get the %100 truth from me rather than just hear say. Thank you
-Mercedes

skateboy
01-14-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm so glad you started this thread, this show is my guilty pleasure!

Jenny
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I enjoy this show - and yes, there are some over the top, psychotic parents and there are some truly bratty kids. However, there are also a lot of families who enjoy doing this together (even grandma and aunts and dads and siblings getting involved).

When I was a kid there were no pageants but we did like to play dress up and put on some of mom's makeup and even pretend we were Miss America. We also took ballet and other classes and looked forward to the annual recital where we got to put on pretty things and wear makeup and our families cheered proudly for us. For many, pageants just takes all that a step further.

I do agree that in some cases, the parents are living through their kids (is it a surprise that many of the moms are about as far from pageant ready as one can get?), and that they are creating little monsters, and yes the pageant promoters are making money off it. At the same time, there are kids who go through this, have a great time, and come out better for it.

A couple of years ago there was a British documentary about two pageant kids. They had done a doc on them when they were children, and then went back 15 or so years later to see how they were doing. One was no longer in pageants, but looked back on the experience positively and was at the time in college. She said the experience gave her a lot of confidence, and prepared her to compete academically and be able to speak in public etc. The other one was still involved - she competed in the older categories, but spent most of her time coaching younger kids and seemed to be quite happy with the life.

Of course the show is going is going to show extremes - including in the commercials - but if you watch a bit more closely, you will see a lot of loving families and kids having a good time.

As for pedophiles, yes sadly this likely appeals to them - however, there's a lot more to it than that, and not all of it is bad, IMO.

rjblue
01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I could go to any soccer field and film a very sad faced child who doesn't think they are getting enough playing time. Or find a child being yelled at because they don't play hockey aggressively enough. Showing any children's activity in a negative light would be very easy.

I hate beauty pageants, and I was prepared to hate Toddlers and Tiaras when my daughter told me to watch it. But the first episode I saw featured a fat and homely little latino girl being tanned and glitzed and rhinestoned into being the ultimate winner of the pageant. She LOVED it. All the little kids got trophys or crowns and prizes. Yes, the kids new some crowns were better than others, but it was no worse than any other competition I've seen.

From a very young age my daughters loved putting on makeup and shows and dressing up in as much of a princess outfit as they could find. There is no way that those pageants would be so popular without the kids loving it. They can't "sparkle" on stage if they aren't where they want to be.

And pedophiles would have a better time watching a figure skating competition. There is as much makeup and as much skin shown, and they do more contorting than most pageant contestant.

My 16 year old daughter and I had a long discussion about the show. We both felt much more comfortable with the little girls being judged in a glitz pageant, because it is all about how well you transform yourself. The "natural" pageants are just a plain beauty contest and I'm glad they don't really show them.

Jenny
01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
My 16 year old daughter and I had a long discussion about the show. We both felt much more comfortable with the little girls being judged in a glitz pageant, because it is all about how well you transform yourself. The "natural" pageants are just a plain beauty contest and I'm glad they don't really show them.

Interesting point - hadn't really thought about that. The instinct of course is to be horrified by makeup and hair extensions and false eyelashes and flippers - but at the same time, then they are being judged by their dress up selves, instead of being told that one girl is naturally prettier than another.

danceronice
01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
If they're nine and want to do it, that's one thing for me. Okay, fine, it's a hobby, I get it. And a five-year-old? When I was five I liked dressing up in pretty dresses and such. (I'd rather see the girls in foofy ruffles than the midriff-baring stuff and trying to be 'sexy.' There's a reason USADance and NDCA have rules about costumes and makeup for the under-12 crowd, some things are just not appropriate. Ruffles and bows, okay, fringe hot pants = WTF?)

The ones who creep me out are the people who think a fifteen-month-old is psychologically capable of caring about ANYTHING beyond their next meal and where is their soft cuddly toy and how uncomfortable the wep nappie is. If your kid can barely walk, cannot form complete sentences, and is still working on the whole solid-food diet, they don't have hobbies or favorite activities! They're barely beyond infant. Stop pretending they have any real opinion at all on the subject and admit it's you, pagent moms.