PDA

View Full Version : Target Stores are Coming to Canada

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Artemis@BC
01-14-2011, 06:47 PM
... would still see a fair amount of traffic because even if the product were identical the prices would likely always be higher in Canada. That's one of the things that bugs the heck out of me since we have been near parity for some time now, including a recent month long stretch where the the Canadian dollar has been higher than the US dollar.

Relative Canada-US costs have to do with a lot more than where the dollar is. Costs are generally higher in Canada because of property costs, corporate taxes, employee benefits, etc., as well as the not insignificant increased shipping costs.

Andora
01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah, we have one of those money eating beasts here. It's called Costco. :lol:

:rofl: We have Costco, too, and I would have to agree my description is very apt to them as well. Canadian Tire has prettier displays. I guess that's the only difference. :P

Though I do generally like their automotive centres!

Skittl1321
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I've never considered Target (or Zellers) to be a "big box store." They're department stores, same as The Bay or Penny's, just a little lower down the scale.

I don't know what Zellers is, but I consider Target to be the same as Walmart (though I find Target's clothing section to be a bit better), and completely different then JC Penny's. Penny's doesn't sell basic groceries (or all groceries if you have really good Target), nor do they sell toys, electronics, media (books, computer games, dvds, cds), furniture, or things like school/office supplies, candles, scrapbooking stuff etc.

JC Penny's and other deparment stores sell clothing, bedding, small appliances, and dishes but they are not diversified to the extent big box stores like Walmart and Target are.

jeffisjeff
01-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I have such a love-hate relationship with Canadian Tire. I can't figure out why Americans would want them

Me either.

I love Target, and there is no way it could be considered a "department store." I may be weird, but I actually much prefer Target to the vast majority of department stores out there.

skatingfan5
01-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Me either. I love Target, and there is no way it could be considered a "department store." I may be weird, but I actually much prefer Target to the vast majority of department stores out there.Target is what used to be called a "discount store" (now that they carried groceries as well, perhaps a "mega store")-- and while definitely not a department store, I've never considered it in the same category as WalMart. I suppose it is, but the quality of the merchandise (especially clothing and to a lesser degree, home furnishings) seems a lot better to me. There is one local department store that I shop at for clothing (they actually have shoes in my hard-to-find size and I like their separates, but I buy them when they go on drastic mark-down) and Clinique cosmetics.

Skate Talker
01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Referring back to our local news story, Target was said to be attempting to be known as a more 'hip" version of a Walmart type of store.

skatingfan5
01-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Referring back to our local news story, Target was said to be attempting to be known as a more 'hip" version of a Walmart type of store.Well, all of Target's TV advertising certainly is evidence of that.

mmscfdcsu
01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Best things about Target are:

sweepstakes. I won a $1000.00 gift card. :)

cart escalators. :D I love to play with those things. :shuffle:
http://beastandbean.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/shopping-cart-escalators-target/

jeffisjeff
01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Target is what used to be called a "discount store" (now that they carried groceries as well, perhaps a "mega store")-- and while definitely not a department store, I've never considered it in the same category as WalMart. I suppose it is, but the quality of the merchandise (especially clothing and to a lesser degree, home furnishings) seems a lot better to me. There is one local department store that I shop at for clothing (they actually have shoes in my hard-to-find size and I like their separates, but I buy them when they go on drastic mark-down) and Clinique cosmetics.

Target is definitely in the same category as Walmart, but Target is at one extreme while Walmart is at the other. Target is definitely higher in quality for most items. I don't generally like their adult clothing (except for t-shirts, sweats, etc., where they have some decent stuff), but their kids clothing is so much better than Walmart's. I generally find their store design and layout to be much preferable to Walmart's as well.

deltask8er
01-15-2011, 12:40 AM
cart escalators. :D I love to play with those things. :shuffle:
http://beastandbean.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/shopping-cart-escalators-target/

I never saw those before! And there is a Target across the street from me.

Will they be called "tar-ZHAY" in Quebec? :lol: :smokin:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/08/08/company-nicknames-is-tar-zhay-french-for-target/

Their Christmas commercial is still stuck in my head :inavoid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vp7qijJILg

Lucy25
01-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Can't figure out how to do a link w/my ipad, but the Target Christmas ad w/the two kids (Is it time yet? I can't wait.) is fabulous. I love Target. The ones near my home are so clean with tons of available staffers working the floor offering assistance. It is definitely not a big box store.

Auntie
01-15-2011, 01:32 AM
In our area, most Walmart brand merchandise is junkier than Target brands and the selection is limited. Walmart prices on name brand merchandise are usually cheaper but this holiday season I noticed the prices were higher than last year and sometimes higher than Target.

Target has better clearance sales and keeps their clearance areas more organized. Our Target has great grocery prices but the selection is limited.

Twilight1
01-15-2011, 03:53 AM
I am actually bummed that Target is taking over a lot of the Zeller's stores. I like Zeller's and like that it is actually a Canadian company. Yet another Canadian store bites the dust to an American store.

Nothing wrong with Target coming up here and glad many are happy about it on here, but bummed it is at the expense of a store I go to a lot. :(

overedge
01-15-2011, 05:24 AM
I am actually bummed that Target is taking over a lot of the Zeller's stores. I like Zeller's and like that it is actually a Canadian company. Yet another Canadian store bites the dust to an American store.

As a former Zeller's employee, I may be biased, but IMHO there is no reason to save a company that has screwed up as badly and for as long as Zeller's has, even if it is (was) a Canadian company.

Andora
01-15-2011, 05:50 AM

Nothing wrong with Target coming up here and glad many are happy about it on here, but bummed it is at the expense of a store I go to a lot. :(

Zellers hasn't been Canadian since 2006. Don't let the Canadian Olympic gear fool you. :lol:

I just bought two items at Zellers tonight, but it was simply because the store was part of a plaza I was shopping at for other reasons. I wouldn't have gone out of the way to go there. This Zellers is never organized, never well-staffed, and is generally shabbier and messier than the two Wal-Mart's I've been to in the city. That's pretty sad, I think. I assume most Zellers aren't so bad, but I know some are.

I wish fewer Canadian companies and resources were foreign-owned. It's obnoxious that this country loses more and more of its own retail landscape. On that hand, I'm sad to see Target take over, but at least it's only Zellers. :P