PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada (BC/YT Section) shows young figure skaters the money

Sylvia
01-13-2011, 04:56 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Figure+skating+young+skaters+shot+their+Podium/4100127/story.html

A new, long-term athlete development program will see young B.C. figure skaters rewarded financially for the first time for mastering different elements.

The B.C./Yukon Division of Skate Canada announced the Pond to Podium Series for 2011, a five-stop series that will begin in Parksville in April and conclude with the provincial championships in the Okanagan in November.

Under the program, skaters from pre-novice to junior can earn between $50 and $400 for completing different jumps and other elements as verified by a technical panel.

http://www.theprovince.com/Skate+Canada+shows+young+figure+skaters+money/4100537/story.html

A loonie idea? Not according Ted Barton, executive director of the B.C.-Yukon Section. His theory is that it's time to start rewarding athletes for learning new skills instead of patting them on the back for taking the safe route and winning competitions.

"We're going to provide funding for a larger pool of athletes via skill acquisition," Barton said Wednesday.

"It's a very different and unique way of getting money to a wider group of people. It's based not on the result at the end of the competition but on skill acquisition.
"The parents say there's no scholarships in skating, no funding ... well now there is. You deliver the triple toe and you get $300."

Your thoughts?

overedge
01-13-2011, 05:59 AM
"Getting money to a wider pool of athletes". Yeah, a wider pool of the athletes who are already at the level where they can do triple jumps. Which isn't the majority of participants in the sport overall.

Sadly, I suspect this means less money for lower-level programs, which is where the triple-jump skaters are going to come from in the future. And less money for other programs like adult skating.

made_in_canada
01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
In concept I kind of like the idea. I like that it's largely based on skill development. In practice, I'm not sure it will work. There just isn't a lot of incentive for anyone other than the top skaters to go.

jp1andonly
01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
hmmmmm..I already pay my section money to help fund our centre of excellence which is a load of crap. It can run on it's own. I dont see them funding my club. This probably means I'll be funding this program. While it's nice the section is helping skaters, it already did that in the past with bursaries and awards for people competing at sections, challenges and nationals. So not impressed if my section fees go up. Seriously hate my section....