PDA

View Full Version : Popular singers and bands from your childhood that you're only discovering now

Pages : [1] 2

Seerek
01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
It may have taken many years, but which popular musicians from your formative years are you only discovering recently, well past their prime and heyday?

nubka
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Eagles
Neils Young
Claudine Longet (:P)

Cachoo
01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Petula Clark: I always loved "Downtown" but there are so many songs I did not know about until recently.
Dusty Springfield: What a voice!! What a shame she is not with us anymore.
Joni Mitchell: Yeah I always knew she was/is legendary but recently I started listening to her songs. Beautiful.
Queen: I liked them in their prime when I was a teen but only now do I understand how billiant they were/are.
Beatles: I was four years old when they first appeared on Ed Sullivan: I remember my Mom and Dad dancing around the living room to "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Now that I am older I marvel at their achievements and abilities. Move over Mozart!!
Burt Bacharach: Can't sing a note but what awesome songs.

Bev Johnston
01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Claude Debussey

paskatefan
01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Petula Clark: I always loved "Downtown" but there are so many songs I did not know about until recently.

The very first record album (I'm dating myself here) I ever bought was "Downtown." Loved her songs, had most of them on 45's and bought a "Best of CD" a few years ago. Saw her in concert locally about 4 years ago, and she still sounded good.

JerseySlore
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Not that recent, but I discovered Paula Abdul with AI. Guess I hadn't missed much.

GarrAarghHrumph
01-12-2011, 01:30 AM
David Bowie is someone who, back in the 1980s, I didn't particularly care for, and who now I adore. He's absolutely amazing.

PDilemma
01-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Claude Debussey

Wow, Bev...I never would have guessed that you were nearing 100!! :lol:

Kruss
01-12-2011, 03:42 AM
The Who
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles - always liked a lot of their songs, but never understood until now their impact on music. I'd heard about it but never understood until this past year.
Pearl Jam - not too old of a band, but I totally missed the grunge/alt movement, so I'm catching up

Meanwhile, my 13 year old niece just discovered John Denver. :)

aliceanne
01-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Eric Burdon and the Animals.

As a young teen Eric Burdon's voice was too deep and mature.

I recently bought their best of CD for some reason, and like just about everything on it.

I play Don't Bring Me Down, I'm Just A Soul Who's Intentions are Good, We Gotta Get Out of this Place over and over. They make me want to find other artists versions as well.

Spill the Wine, and some of the San Francisco stuff bring back the hippie days as if they were yesterday.

T Rex after watching Billy Elliot.

DubbalinGirl
01-12-2011, 05:22 PM
David Bowie is someone who, back in the 1980s, I didn't particularly care for, and who now I adore. He's absolutely amazing.

Me too. Same for me and David Byrne.

PeterG
01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Not that recent, but I discovered Paula Abdul with AI. Guess I hadn't missed much.

:argue: :angryfire :soapbox: :revenge: :wall: :lynch: :mad:

Carry on.

Jot the Dot Dot
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm 53, my neice is 11. Last year, I put on The Yes Album, and this little girl starts singing to "I've Seen All Good People". On a car ride, she says "Daddy, put on some music!". Jim turns the radio on, and it's the Beatles. She and her 8 year old brother have it:" You say yes/ I say no....."

Jodi
01-13-2011, 12:22 AM
The Human League. Despite my deep and abiding love of 80s synthpop I never liked the stuff like Don't You Want Me and so was convinced I didn't like them at all.

Then I heard Being Boiled on the utterly wonderful Synth Britannia (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n93c4), followed by The Path of Least Resistance on Synth Britannia at the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n93c6). It was a revelation! I now have their first two albums and can't believe I've been missing out for so long! Have even warmed up to the cheesier stuff by association ;)

Aussie Willy
01-13-2011, 02:05 AM
How can you say that about the woman who made dancing with a big fat cat cool? :drama: :D

On the other hand I did buy her album back then (on vinyl) and apart from one song it was pretty mediocre.

A lot of stuff from the early 70s I discovered later on through music docos.