PDA

View Full Version : Major Dick Winters (of Band of Brothers fame) dies at age 92

Pages : [1] 2

Cyn
01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Major Richard "Dick" Winters, the leader of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne, died on January 2nd from complications of Parkinsons Disease. He requested that news of his death not be released until after his funeral.

Washington Post Article (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postmortem/2011/01/dick-winters-dies-wwii-hero-co.html)

Fox News Article (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/10/band-brothers-inspiration-dies-age/)

Major Winter's actions and leadership in the liberations of France, Holland, Belgium, and Germany were nothing short of heroic. He was a true man of honor and kindness and, on a personal note, one of my heroes.

Winters was portrayed by Damien Lewis in the Spielberg/Hanks production of Band of Brothers.

Condolences to his family and to the remaining members of Easy Company.

Buzz
01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I saw Band Of Brothers and read the book. He was very well loved and respected by his men and had may years of service after the war as well. To him and the rest of his generation we all owe a debt of gratitude for which we can never repay. He has now been reunited with his comrades. May he rest in peace.

barbk
01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Cyn - thanks for posting this. The sacrifices of so many of these soldiers was remarkable, and I'm glad that with the book and the movie, their efforts will not be forgotten.

Cyn
01-10-2011, 11:38 PM
One of my favorite quotes from Winters' memoir, Beyond Band of Brothers

To find a quiet peace is the dream of every soldier. For some it takes longer than others. In my own experience I have discovered that it is far easier to find quiet than to find peace. True peace must come from within oneself. As my wartime buddies join their fallen comrades at an alarming rate, distant memories resurface. The hard times fade and the flashbacks go back to friendly times, to buddies with whom I shared a unique bond, to men who are my brothers in every sense of the word. I live with these men every day.

RIP, Major Winters, and Currahee!!

zhenya271
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
R.I.P. MAJ Winters. :(
I noticed that Band of Brothers was actually on last week, but I guess that was just a coincidence, it would have already been scheduled to run, surely.

Can't help but feel so sad that this generation is leaving us so fast,now. Have all the stories been told?

Cyn
01-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Can't help but feel so sad that this generation is leaving us so fast,now. Have all the stories been told?

Unfortunately not even close.

I cannot remember off the top of my head where I read the stat, but WWII veterans (worldwide) are dying at a rate of 1500 a day :(

As far as Easy Company goes, there have been several books written about these men aside from Stephen Ambrose's book. Some are written by the actual veterans, some by biographers, and I believe there's also a new documentary in the works called "Hang Tough" (which will be narrated by Damien Lewis). More info on the documentary is in the link below.

Here's the link to Easy Company's official website:

Men of Easy Company (http://menofeasycompany.com/nieuws/index.php)

ETA:

L.A. Times Article (http://menofeasycompany.com/nieuws/index.php)

PennLive.com article (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_of_band_of_brothe.html)

Grannyfan
01-11-2011, 01:36 AM
I've always liked his statement in the interview clip at the end of Band of Brothers. His grandson asked him if he were a hero and he replied that he wasn't but that he served with heroes.

The passing of that generation makes me sad. I don't think we'll ever see their like again.

Andrushka
01-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I read this yesterday(the news of his passing)God bless him.He lived a long time.We always watch Band of Brothers whenever it's on tv,I feel we owe so much to our veterans after watching that series..RIP Maj. Winters.

skatesindreams
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Thank you, Maj. Winters.
RIP.

Freespirit
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I feel like I have lost a family member. Band of Brothers is my all time favorite series and have watched it many times.

Civic
01-13-2011, 01:54 AM
He had a very long and eventful life. Despite the odds, he survived World War II. Afterwards he married, bought a farm and was able to live the quiet life he dreamed about during the war. We should all be so lucky. My condolences to his family.

AragornElessar
01-13-2011, 02:23 AM
I've always liked his statement in the interview clip at the end of Band of Brothers. His grandson asked him if he were a hero and he replied that he wasn't but that he served with heroes.

The passing of that generation makes me sad. I don't think we'll ever see their like again.

I *always* have to make sure I have Kleenex handy during the final episode of Band of Brothers or if I'm watching the companion documentary, as that particular footage makes me bawl like a baby.

Thank you Cyn for letting us all know.

We will never see their like again. God Speed Sir and Thank You. :(

minx
01-13-2011, 05:05 AM
I managed to have three skaters use parts of the soundtrack music in programs. One knew, the dad was a huge fan of the series.

zhenya271
01-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Unfortunately not even close.

I cannot remember off the top of my head where I read the stat, but WWII veterans (worldwide) are dying at a rate of 1500 a day :(

As far as Easy Company goes, there have been several books written about these men aside from Stephen Ambrose's book. Some are written by the actual veterans, some by biographers, and I believe there's also a new documentary in the works called "Hang Tough" (which will be narrated by Damien Lewis). More info on the documentary is in the link below.

Here's the link to Easy Company's official website:

Men of Easy Company (http://menofeasycompany.com/nieuws/index.php)

ETA:

L.A. Times Article (http://menofeasycompany.com/nieuws/index.php)

PennLive.com article (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_of_band_of_brothe.html)

Thanks for the link, Cyn! I will be sure to look out for the new documentary.

I have Winters' memoir and have been meaning to read it for quite awhile but then we move and then it gets packed up and pushed back
to make room for newer books, unintentionally.

Guarnere and I believe Babe have a collaboration and I think Malarkey and maybe even Buck Compton have memoirs as well. Quite a selection at the military exchanges near Pearl Harbor!

Cyn
01-14-2011, 04:29 AM
zhenya, *find* that book and read it - you'll definitely enjoy reading it and getting a lot more backstory to a lot of what took place in the miniseries and in Ambrose's book.

I've read Wild Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron's book, Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends. It's a fairly easy read, and has many moments that are :rofl: as well as some that will move you to tears.

I've been wanting to read Don Malarkey's book but every time I go to the library, it's always checked out.

I had no idea that Buck Compton had written a book about his experience in WWII. I always found it interesting that he was the prosecutor in the trial and conviction of Sirhan Sirhan's assassination of Robert Kennedy.

As of today, there are only 36 members of Easy Company still alive :( . However, of that number, I'm not sure how many of them are original Toccoa men. From what I can recall, the ones that trained in Toccoa, Georgia, that are still with us are

Lynn "Buck" Compton (89)*
Roderick Bain (89)
"Wild Bill" Guarnere (87)*
Edward Joint (87)
Joseph Lesniewski (90)*
DeWitt Lowery (88)
Clarence Lyall (85)
Don Malarkey (89)*
Ed Mauser (94 - the oldest surviving member)
Earl "One Lung" McClung (87)*
Edwin Pepping (88)
Frank Perconte (93)*
Paul Rogers (92)
J.B. Stokes (89)
Amos Taylor (90)
Edward Tipper (89)
Bill Wingett (88)

* - featured in the BOB miniseries.

In addition, J.B. Stokes, Edward Tipper, and Paul Rogers were all interviewed in the documentary (bonus disc in the DVD set) called "We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company"

Sorry for the flood of info - WWII history is a rather large interest of mine.