PDA

View Full Version : Actors/Actresses that seemed too young or old for their particular movie role

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Seerek
01-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Any movies roles of the past you felt the chosen actor or actress was way too young or too old to play the part?

AYS
01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility. Elinor was supposed to be 19-20 and Thompson was about 35 when she played the role. Although it was well acted, that bothered me a bit.

PDilemma
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Emma initially didn't want to play the part herself. It was brilliantly acted, but she was too old for the role.

Buzz
01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
The actor (Matt Dallas)who played the title role in Kyle XY was about 28 at the time the series was on. I thought that he was too old to be playing a teenager.

CantALoop
01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino in Righteous Kill. Granted it was a pretty bad movie to begin with, but I couldn't help but think that it was cast for two actors 20 years younger.

emason
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I love Love in the Afternoon with Audrey Hepburn and Gary Cooper, but seriously, he is way too old for the role if I look at it objectively - which I never do, because I just love the movie.

I could also say the same thing about Sabrina and Humphrey Bogart vs. Hepburn, too.

essence_of_soy
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
A few I can think of that actually worked, but were weird once I found out how old the actors were when they played these roles.

In North by Northwest, Cary Grant and the woman who played his mother, Jessie Royce Landis, were the same age in real life.

Anne Bancroft was only six years older than Dustin Hoffmann when she played the notorious Mrs Robinson in The Graduation. She was cast as a woman a generation older.

Drew Barrymore was meant to be 35 in Riding in Cars with Boys, and her son, Adam Garcia, was meant to be 17. Drew was 26 at the time, and Garcia was 28!

Buzz
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I love Clint Eastwood but there was a movie in which he starred and directed not too long ago. I believe the name of the movie is True Crime and in this movie Eastwood plays a troubled journalist who chases skirts and tries to prove a death row inmate is innocent. But all the women in his life are all sooo young. His wife is played by someone who is perhaps in her early 30s and their kid in maybe 4. I always thought that he was too way old for the role. But I did love the movie.

AYS
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Speaking of Gary Cooper, I rewatched The Fountainhead recently and although obviously the story spans years, he was way too old to play Howard Roark (not a good choice all around, really). Here was an almost 50 year-old man being lectured by the dean as a putative college-aged kid about why he was being expelled.

Sort of interesting but greatly flawed adaptation all around.

genevieve
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Classic example is the film Grease. Olivia Newton-John was 30 when the film came out, and Stockard Channing was 34. They definitely didn't look like high school students.

Luke Perry was 25 when Beverly Hills 90210 started - at first it wasn't that noticeable, but as the show went on, he started looking a lot older than the character. Of course, Gabrielle Carteris was 29 when the show started. it's freaking that Andrea Zuckerman just turned 50!!!

essence_of_soy
01-09-2011, 10:39 PM
A few I can think of that actually worked, but were weird once I found out how old the actors were when they played these roles.

In North by Northwest, Cary Grant and the woman who played his mother, Jessie Royce Landis, were the same age in real life.

Anne Bancroft was only six years older than Dustin Hoffmann when she played the notorious Mrs Robinson in The Graduation. She was cast as a woman a generation older. (By the way, Hoffmann was 30 playing a 22 year old.)

Drew Barrymore was meant to be 35 in Riding in Cars with Boys, and her son, Adam Garcia, was meant to be 17. Drew was 26 at the time, and Garcia was 28!

PDilemma
01-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Classic example is the film Grease. Olivia Newton-John was 30 when the film came out, and Stockard Channing was 34. They definitely didn't look like high school students.

Luke Perry was 25 when Beverly Hills 90210 started - at first it wasn't that noticeable, but as the show went on, he started looking a lot older than the character. Of course, Gabrielle Carteris was 29 when the show started. it's freaking that Andrea Zuckerman just turned 50!!!

The current version of that show is actually worse. Some of the actors playing students are older than some who play teachers. One playing a student is 32, while the guy playing his teacher is 26.

Rex
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
William Holden was a dozen years too old for his role in Picnic.
All of the great film goddesses at one time or another played parts that they were clearly too old for. For example, Joan Crawford portrayed a thirtysomething spinster in Autumn Leaves, when she was actually 50. And she was a hard-looking 50 - all those years of boozing and balling were starting to take their toll.

Dustin Hoffman was way too old for his role in The Marathon Man. So was Kevin Kline in that godawful biopic of Cole Porter.

Meryl Streep was, and I'm sorry, too old to portray Julia Child, who was in her mid-forties when her cooking career took off. She was supposedly playing her from her 30s up to her 40s. Meryl was 60 when she took on that role in Julie & Julia.

There are too many to mention. Hollywood just asks us to suspend our disbelief sometimes.

pat c
01-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Bridges of Madison County - Streep and Eastwood. No no no.........

Rex
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Bridges of Madison County - Streep and Eastwood. No no no.........

Streep was the right age, or at the worst, slightly over it. Eastwood was way too old for the part.