PDA

View Full Version : The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

Pages : [1] 2

overedge
01-09-2011, 07:05 AM
The grammar folks here will "love" this :lol:

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

There is also The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks which I saw in a store this week. I "believe" it is by the same "authors".

Squibble
01-09-2011, 07:09 AM
I "believe" it is by the same "authors".

"Tinami" being one of "them"?

Nomad
01-09-2011, 07:17 AM
But "quotation" marks add "emphasis". They're a "hallmark" of "good" writing.

BaileyCatts
01-09-2011, 08:32 AM
But but but .... I "love" using "quotation" marks. :P

PDilemma
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I love this blog. It is one of my favorite sites!

shan
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
:rofl: at the randomness!

mila19
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I actually have a GF who started to use them as a joke after seeing Joey from Friends use the air quotes inappropriately ("I'm sorry"). She's now addicted and "uses" them all the time, probably to add emphasis as you said. She also likes to write words double/triple way like: fun fun fun, clubbing clubbing. The day she combines those two, I'll pull my hair.

PDilemma
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I actually have a GF who started to use them as a joke after seeing Joey from Friends use the air quotes inappropriately ("I'm sorry"). She's now addicted and "uses" them all the time, probably to add emphasis as you said. She also likes to write words double/triple way like: fun fun fun, clubbing clubbing. The day she combines those two, I'll pull my hair.

Back when Friends was still hugely popular, I had a student explain his random use of quotation marks to me as something he learned from Joey.

I suggested that one should not learn punctuation from sitcoms, and especially not from the dumb character on a sitcom. But that went right over his head.

mila19
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I suggested that one should not learn punctuation from sitcoms, and especially not from the dumb character on a sitcom.
:lol:
I'm not much of a tactful person so I might as well share this link on my FB although I doubt GF will get the message :shuffle:

rjblue
01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Did anyone else read this thread and then go search through their recent posts for any "inappropriate" use of quotation "marks"?

My daughter and I read the blog and had a great laugh. It's a pet peeve of hers and since she is sixteen, it's something she just has to put up with, because that age group loves to use punctuation only when it isn't needed.

rudi
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I think I just posted using unecessary " " a few minutes ago...Ha!
I also do the "quote" thing with my hands sometimes when I talk. LOL

Aussie Willy
01-10-2011, 01:50 AM
WTF!! :eek: :lol:

I am not sure if it is an overseas thing because I have never noticed it in Australia. However I am going to look out for them in future.

But when I read that I kept thinking of Dr Evil and his "lasers".

PeterG
01-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Did anyone else read this thread and then go search through their recent posts for any "inappropriate" use of quotation "marks"?

Now just "what" are you trying to "imply"? :mad:

;)

rjblue
01-10-2011, 03:36 AM
"I'm" "paranoid", "clearly".

DaveRocks
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

:lol:

Great site! Drives me nuts when I see signs like these.