PDA

View Full Version : New FSU Judging Game - 1994 Euro Ladies FS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Aussie Willy
01-16-2011, 12:45 AM
With all due respect Aussie Willy, that's a matter of opinion.

I can see why people would feel Surya did enough to beat Sato. Of course Yuka had better crossovers and basic skating, but where in the rules did it stipulate exactly what that was worth in terms of technical score? or Artistry?
Let me ask a question regarding artistry. If you were going to pick out examples of both Bonaly and Sato, in terms of the artistic components today, to use as a teaching tool of what to see in a skating program, what would you use?

I know the more I think about it and study it, the more I understand why Sato was the World Champion and Bonaly was not.

David21
01-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Have you watch Yuka Sato's performance from Worlds that year?

Surya was not world champion material. Her basic skating skills were very poor and she had no refinement nor elegance in her moves. She is one of those skaters that would have done very poorly under IJS. She was lucky that she managed reasonable spins and jumps which held her up as even though they were okay quality, there was probably nothing to deduct from them. However looking back even that is questionable.

So Surya's basic skating skills were poor but her good spins and jumps were just luck?

alchemy void
01-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Surya haterzz! :lynch:

While 'judging' this...I was struck by how kickass this Four Seasons program was. I've always loved it but it holds up really well. :cheer:

Aussie Willy
01-16-2011, 04:11 AM
So Surya's basic skating skills were poor but her good spins and jumps were just luck?
So are you commenting that she couldn't have had good jumps and spins without good skating skills? Or that despite her poor skating skills she had good jumps and spins?

Marco
01-16-2011, 05:03 AM
I don't think Surya has good jumps and spins.

vodkashot
01-16-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't think Surya has good jumps and spins.

Agreed.

Surya's jumps often had zero flow coming out, a wild swinging free leg, a good deal of telegraphing, etc. I guess her spins were decent in terms of speed but really, nothing special otherwise.

Yuka may have been pretty blah as an amateur but everything she did exceeded Surya in terms of quality.

floskate
01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I remember some rumour broadcast back when she was starting out stating that she was trying to land double jumps within a few weeks of starting skating!! Well that tells you all you need to know really about her natural ability to vault herself into the air and rotate as opposed to her mediocre skating skills. I agree she had very unorthodox jumping technique overall and it was her natural athletic talent that got her through them for the most part. Her triple lutz did improve tremendously though.

Back to topic :saint:

briancoogaert
01-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I remember some rumour broadcast back when she was starting out stating that she was trying to land double jumps within a few weeks of starting skating!! Well that tells you all you need to know really about her natural ability to vault herself into the air and rotate as opposed to her mediocre skating skills. I agree she had very unorthodox jumping technique overall and it was her natural athletic talent that got her through them for the most part. Her triple lutz did improve tremendously though.

Back to topic :saint:
Well, she started skating at 2 y.o. or 2 and a half. So, this rumor can't be true ! lol
But for sure, she was more interesting in jumps and probably started to jump fastly !

Kelvster
01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
apologies for diverting the topic to surya v sato in 94 previously!

back to topic ... surya's 4 seasons programme kicks ass i expect over 120+ points from all of you on the judges sheets :D

floskate
01-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, she started skating at 2 y.o. or 2 and a half. So, this rumor can't be true ! lol
But for sure, she was more interesting in jumps and probably started to jump fastly !

:eek: I'm pretty sure it was Gaighaguet who said this at 1989 Europeans. Probably just some silly soundbite to drum up press interest.

allezfred
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, I think about it like this - if Surya had won worlds we'd never have had the epic SuryaStrop. :drama: :lol:

David21
01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
So are you commenting that she couldn't have had good jumps and spins without good skating skills? Or that despite her poor skating skills she had good jumps and spins?

The latter.

Well, I think about it like this - if Surya had won worlds we'd never have had the epic SuryaStrop. :drama: :lol:

I don't even know what that is :(

LynnW
01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
The latter.

I don't even know what that is :(

SuryaStrop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJQWtlKTyk&NR=1Surya Strop)

Marco
01-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Agreed.

Surya's jumps often had zero flow coming out, a wild swinging free leg, a good deal of telegraphing, etc. I guess her spins were decent in terms of speed but really, nothing special otherwise.

Her spins tended to slow down significantly whenever she changed positions and needless to say her positions were totally unrefined.

Maximillian
01-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Her spins tended to slow down significantly whenever she changed positions and needless to say her positions were totally unrefined.

This. There was nothing more painful than watching do a bielman or any variation on a catchfoot, it was soooo slooooow and labored. I shutter years later just thinking about it.

That being said this Euro LP could be the best I've ever seen her skate.