PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

snoopysnake
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I got the book yesterday from Amazon (arrived earlier than I expected.)

Anyone else have it yet? I'm about 1/2 way through (though I did skim the rest a bit last night.)

As I would have expected from Johnny's journal posts, it is very readable.

So far I am most :eek: at how he described Michael Weiss (not so much what Johnny thinks of him, but the words used.) Page 80.

The reason why he had to withdraw from the GPF in China (pp 116-117) :rolleyes: - "Oh, Johnny!" - you hit the nail on the head, Patti!

There's lots of sweetness there too, though, including Johnny's first sexual experiences, and his deeply meaningful 2005 Worlds exhibition performance.

People who don't like Johnny now aren't apt to change their minds from what I've read so far, but those who appreciate all that he is are in for a treat.

Wait'll you see the baby bird photo!

judiz
01-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I pre-ordered it for my Kindle but it hasn't been delivered yet. Eagerly awaiting.

Roxanne
01-08-2011, 05:44 PM
What words did he use to describe Michael Weiss?

UGG
01-08-2011, 06:20 PM
ooo dish on the Michael Weiss gossip!

snoopysnake
01-08-2011, 06:45 PM
He called Michael "A big hulking and classless idiot with three national titles, two world medals, and two Olympic teams under his wide belt, he was a huge star and everything that the U.S. Figure Skating Association wanted at the helm."

I hope that Johnny is being facetious here, although I doubt it.

Big and hulking? I think not. But classless, I know that he is not. I have met Michael as a fan at four different events and he was absolutely warm and charming every single time, even the time I ran into him in the arena in 2003 right after he lost Worlds, medalless, at that, on his home ice. I told him that I could see that the entire audience loved him that night, and that was more important than any gold medal. Mike replied very sincerely, "Thanks, I appreciate that." I don't think someone classless would react that way.

Classless? I had the nerve at another event to ask him to say hi on my cell phone to a 92-year old skating fan friend of mine from church (knowing that he's a Methodist too!) He chatted with her for a minute and even told her how she could watch this event on TV. Classless? No way!

Perhaps Johnny would have reacted with equal grace in these situations, but I doubt that Mike would choose to write in a memoir with such a deliberate lack of tact about one of his competitors.

reese
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
He called Michael "A big hulking and classless idiot with three national titles, two world medals, and two Olympic teams under his wide belt, he was a huge star and everything that the U.S. Figure Skating Association wanted at the helm."

If this is how he describes Michael, I can't wait to read some excerpts about Evan or Patrick Chan.

Nomad
01-08-2011, 07:10 PM

It's possible that Weiss is nice to fans and a dick to his competitors.

judiz
01-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Who knows what is said behind the scenes and in the locker rooms? Something must had gone down between Michael and Johnny for him to describe Michael that way. The only thing I remember Johnny ever saying about Michael was in one of his journals, Johnny was upset that Michael told him he still skated like a junior skater after he moved up to seniors and he shouldn't even be skating at the senior nationals.

acraven
01-08-2011, 07:14 PM
I've never met Michael Weiss, but he's from my area. I've run into quite a few people--not all of them involved in figure skating--who know him, and the reports are 100% positive. Even aside from the training $$$ assistance his foundation provides to promising young skaters, Michael is clearly a class act.

However, it's possible for two people to respond negatively to each other, even if they are both "nice".

genevieve
01-08-2011, 07:15 PM
People who don't like Johnny now aren't apt to change their minds from what I've read so far, but those who appreciate all that he is are in for a treat.
Oh, I don't know - I think he may lose a lot of fans, just based on what you've revealed here.

Johnny calling anyone else "classless" is pretty rich.

chipso1
01-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Johnny calling anyone else "classless" is pretty rich.

Quoted for truth.

museksk8r
01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
It's possible that Weiss is nice to fans and a dick to his competitors.

What Nomad said! ;)

jlai
01-08-2011, 08:20 PM
As I would have expected from Johnny's journal posts, it is very readable.

If it reads anything like his online journal, I don't think I'll buy the book

overedge
01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
If Johnny thinks Michael Weiss is "big and hulking", Johnny must be smaller than he looks.

psycho
01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Michael "This is where the action happens" Weiss? So Classy, that guy...:lol: