PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

luCN
01-10-2011, 05:10 AM
That's one of those stories that's either too stupid to be real, or too stupid to be made up. Their history of bringing out the 5 year old in each other leads me to believe that, in this case, it's the latter. :lol:

BEST QUATE :rofl::rofl::rofl:

neptune
01-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, Michael Weiss has one thing that sure has Johnny eating his heart out: a long-standing gig with Stars On Ice. :lol:

Well, Johnny may not have his long-standing gig yet, but once he and Tonya get their pairs' act together, not even death and taxes could be more certain. :lol:

Rex
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Agree 100%. I wish Weir -- and his coaching staff -- could have spent the last 4 years reading the COP rules and maximizing points instead of blaming everything and everyone else for why he wasn't on the podium. Weir's programs consistently threw points away. He easily should and could have been top three.
He seemed to like COP in the beginning; he had nothing but good things to say about it. But when he started struggling, that was when he became critical of it. I remember reading a 2005 issue of IFS Magazine, that summer after he won Nationals and he thought CoP was a good idea, because before its implementation, "people won medals with awful programs", according to him.

antmanb
01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
He seemed to like COP in the beginning; he had nothing but good things to say about it. But when he started struggling, that was when he became critical of it. I remember reading a 2005 issue of IFS Magazine, that summer after he won Nationals and he thought CoP was a good idea, because before its implementation, "people won medals with awful programs", according to him.

Really? I never recalled Johnny being positive about COP.

Ant

museksk8r
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
It seems that Johnny's 2006 Olympic LP experience just took the wind out of his sails and broke his spirit. For me, he was never the same skater after, not even during his comeback 2007-2008 season. When COP became the name of the game, he always had to rely on the mistakes of others to medal because his programs were still molded in the 6.0 system. It is indeed a shame that he couldn't fully capitalize on his exceptional talent. To be as successful as he was having only started skating at the age of 12 is pretty amazing. I'm glad he was able to have his satisfying 2010 Olympic skates! :cheer2:

Frau Muller
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Weiss is a class act so, on that level, I am disappointed with Johnny's words. HOWEVER, I am certain that Johnny is making the point -- a correct point -- that the USFSA loved and milked Weiss' 'I'm a real Macho man with a real family" image for all it's worth.

Remember -- Who is headlining the 'Family Values Tour' (a.k.a. SOI) and who has been left off that tour, even though he could help sell a gazillion tickets?

snoopysnake
01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Well, Johnny may not have his long-standing gig yet, but once he and Tonya get their pairs' act together, not even death and taxes could be more certain. :lol:

She would have to lift him.

Carolla5501
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
You don't think having the Olympic Gold Medal winner will attract a lot more casual fans then a man who is quickly becoming known more for his wardrobe???? Sorry, but I don't think a "gazillion" fans are going to see Weir either!

Kwantumleap
01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I also remember some of the PR stunts Weiss and his family pulled between 1998-2002. They seemed to be trying to position him in the USFSA and fans' minds as THE STRAIGHT AMERICAN SKATER complete with wife and kids. Back then, I considered this strategem only mildly annoying; silly and a bit heavy-handed but nothing to get really worked up about. But, of course, I wasn't one of his rivals and I'm not gay.

If I had been one of his rivals and gay, Weiss' PR strategems might have enraged me. They were appealing to peoples' homophobia. Weir could change his coach, training regimen, etc. but he couldn't change his sexual orientation nor should he have been expected to try.
Weir didn't present himself as a steady factor until the 03-04 season when he won Nats. From then on, all Johnny had to do was skate his best under 6.0 to win Nats and place top 6 at worlds. The masculinity game, while tough, was a ploy that it seems Johnny unfortunately got sucked into. Michael could play the masculinity game all he wanted from 04 Nats until the end of his career, but Johnny was still beating him consistently, so that game wasn't that significant in terms of their head-to-head competition results.

IceIceBaby
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
here is an excerpt of the book: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40967867/ns/today-books/

With all the astonishing adventures and staggering catastrophes of my competitive skating career behind me, Iím in the kiss and cry of my life.

Doesn't that sound like he is finished his competitive career and not coming back?:confused:

BittyBug
01-10-2011, 04:28 PM
He always said that he was going to write a book after he was done with competitive skating, so the fact that the book is out pretty much tells me he is moving on. Could he try to make a comeback as many others have done in the past? Sure. But I wouldn't hang any hopes on that happening.

marbri
01-10-2011, 04:48 PM
From the book excerpt linked above:

After deciding to never ever speak to Tara again because she doesn’t know who Anna Wintour is, I take another look at our tickets. Where are our seats? We are still walking toward the front of the theater, past Anna Wintour and Vera Wang, past Suzanne Somers and Donald Trump. We even pass Liza Minnelli and we’re still going. All these bigwigs and legends have worse seats than me? When we find our seats — down front and dead center — I feel absolutely gorgeous and successful. I think to myself, this is exactly where I like to be.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ummm, somebody needs to tell him those are the bad seats at a movie theatre.

Gil-Galad
01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
here is an excerpt of the book: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40967867/ns/today-books/
I don't mind an Oscar-Wilde-like aphorism here and there, it can be amusing. But this is like one never-ending Wilde-aphorism without the elegant snark, the witty humour and, well, I have to correct myself. It's nothing like Wilde at all. It's just bad.

Jenny
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
He called Michael "A big hulking and classless idiot with three national titles, two world medals, and two Olympic teams under his wide belt, he was a huge star and everything that the U.S. Figure Skating Association wanted at the helm."

Forgetting the content for a moment, if this is a direct quote, then it's the poor writing I object to!

One doesn't need to know how to spell to write a book. Heck, one needn't really know anything to write a book these days. Didn't Snooki from Jersey Shore just release a novel? :rolleyes:

eys, and it just happens to be published by the same imprint as Johnny's book. :lol:

igniculus
01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Doesn't that sound like he is finished his competitive career and not coming back?:confused:

Seriously, was there any doubt? It's clear he is done with competitive figure skating.