PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55

MacMadame
03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I never thought his costumes were crazy. Certainly not in comparison with some euro ones we've seen.

Johnny thinks he's much more outrageous than he actually is though. ;)

mmscfdcsu
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Johnny thinks he's much more outrageous than he actually is though. ;)

ITA! Many of his costumes look like they were designed by a headstrong adolescent who wouldn't take any advice from the grownups. Kind of like the fashion statements we made in middle school in the '60's. I look at my yearbooks now and wonder what the heck we were thinking? :lol:

Prancer
03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I never thought his costumes were crazy. Certainly not in comparison with some euro ones we've seen.

I am sure no one but Beefcake and I remember Stanick Jeannette's costume at Skate America in 1998? Give or take a year. Bwahahahaha! I can't find a photo of it online; I wonder if I still have my picture of it around. I know I posted it online at one time.

calica
03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I am sure no one but Beefcake and I remember Stanick Jeannette's costume at Skate America in 1998? Give or take a year. Bwahahahaha! I can't find a photo of it online; I wonder if I still have my picture of it around. I know I posted it online at one time.

This? http://stanickjeannette.free.fr/picts/shortstan.jpg

antmanb
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Aaaaah so that's what Kevin VDP was thinking :lol:

Prancer
03-02-2011, 08:48 PM

That's IT! Thank you.

And Johnny thinks his costumes are kind of crazy?

REO
03-02-2011, 09:02 PM
OMG! What was the program music that evoked that puppy?!

I agree with whoever said Johnny's costumes were not that out there but so much was made of them by everyone that he got that rep and started to believe it. I loved the Swan, Yunona and King of Chess especially. Usually he could tell you what each little piece on the costume represented in the story he was trying to tell.

IceAlisa
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
OK, I kinda like that crazy Incredible Hulk costume. :shuffle:

Justathoughtabl
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
ITA! Many of his costumes look like they were designed by a headstrong adolescent who wouldn't take any advice from the grownups. Kind of like the fashion statements we made in middle school in the '60's. I look at my yearbooks now and wonder what the heck we were thinking? :lol:

I agree that Johnny thinks he's more outrageous than he is. Then again, I also think other people think he's more outrageous than he is. But he comes from a small town, and his family is quite conventional, it seems, so I guess he stands out. To me, he's never actually done anything THAT crazy. The "drug references" were nothing. But maybe by the standards of the Midwestern U.S. (I'm from the Northeast) and by the standards of the USFSA, he's outrageous. I disagree that is costumes are regrettable. I really like his costumes, and I think most of them are very tasteful. Maybe it's just my taste, though. The only one I thought was cringe-worthy was the Jesus one (the grey one).

ETA: I remember when Johnny performed Pokerface at Nationals and Scott kept laughing nervously, as if Johnny was naked or performing a lewd act. Then one of the commentators made a reference to Johnny's "outrageousness," and I thought, "What is this, 1955?" He did nothing outrageous that I could see.

Bemused101
03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Yikes! That muscle costume is awful. Should pair that one up with the guy who had the Skeletor (bones) costume at the Olympics last year.

Johnny's costumes seem pretty restrained to me. And he looks wonderful in them. Loved the black/pink SP number--it's part of the reason I fell in love with him!!!!

Southpaw
03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
He's certainly not outrageous by Lyndhurst standards. If he had moved into town 20 years ago he would have been hanging at Aldo's and listening to Skinny Puppy and railing against the fur industry. :lol:

manleywoman
03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
That's IT! Thank you.

And Johnny thinks his costumes are kind of crazy?

:eek:

If Johnny had come up with that I would have started a petition to get USFS to convince him to change it. :lol:

nursebetty
03-03-2011, 03:07 AM
On the show, skating with the stars, he was looking outrageous to me. I miss the old Johnny.

IceAlisa
03-03-2011, 03:12 AM
I am almost done with the book. I am a bit skeptical at his descriptions of Galina. Could she possibly be that crazy? And given Johnny history of getting drunk and doing incredibly stupid things like challenging Evan to a hand stand competition and spraining his ankle or getting drunk before Swan Lake at Bolshoi, I can see how Galina would be worried.

I wonder if her side of the story is not being told.

casken
03-03-2011, 03:29 AM

Is that where Blanc & Bouquet got the idea for these (http://villard-de-lans.fr/webs/images/patinage/v_5490-1.jpg)? (Which I *love* btw.)