PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55

Cheylana
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Seriously. And now I'm all curious ... if Evan "sold his soul" back when he started doing the Man in Black thing, did he get a little bit of it returned for the see-through chest mesh and the feathers in his SP costumes in 2009/2010? ;)

Oh dear, I was hoping to forget that chest mesh costume ever existed :scream:

The feathers in the SP costume were kind of awesome though :)

Justathoughtabl
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Johnny is a second rate Quentin Crisp and I can see him looking like Quentin as he ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Crisp

http://www.miss-thrifty.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/quentin-crisp.jpg

Here we go again. Why second rate?

IceAlisa
03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
How can anyone who uses black feathers and chest-exposing mesh be considered conformist? I wonder what USFSA had to say about that.

kwanfan1818
03-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I also really loved the part where he talks about how TAT "got" him during that summer in Simsbury. She got exactly what I love about his skating and amplified it.
That was my favorite part of the book.

How can anyone who uses black feathers and chest-exposing mesh be considered conformist? I wonder what USFSA had to say about that.
Isn't that covered under the Vera Wang Immunity Clause?

danceronice
03-01-2011, 07:55 PM

"World title? Fine, if feathers do it for you...."

USFS strikes me as, at heart, results-oriented. Win big and they're happy.

manleywoman
03-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Do we even know if Evan was or wasn't "advised" by USFS about his outfits? Perhaps he just chose not to be vocal about it.

Iceman
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM
http://www.topix.net/skating/us/2011/03/johnny-weir-im-a-firm-believer-in-real-fur-i-dont-believe-in-fake-fur

portia
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
First of all, why does Evan always get dragged into discussions when the topic du jour happens to be 'how wonderful Johnny's persona is?'. Evan is far, far from being my favorite skater, in fact I don't like his skating at all. But to be fair, why are some people making assumptions about Evan's social/ political persuasions based upon his costumes and Johnny's glitzy, daily attires? Seriously?

I think it's ridiculous that we would judge how "conformist" or "non-conformist" a person is by his/ her appearance. A flamboyantly dressed individual can be just as corporatist or conservative at heart as a Laissez-faire economist. On the other hand, someone who styles himself/ herself in a 'conformist' or 'boring' manner may be just as anarchist in thought, socially and politically, as the archetypal revolutionist.

Personally, I know some outrageously-dressed punk rockers who are hardcore Republicans, and I also know a couple of Gay, button-down dressers who are quite active in LGBT causes. Going by 'conventional' worldview, if I were to pass by them on the streets I'd make the opposite assumptions.

What is 'unconventional' anyways? If you are specifically dressing to shock or be the antithesis of the establishment, aren't you in a roundabout way conforming to societal norms? To explain, you'd still be basing your actions etc... on conventions, albeit by doing the exact opposite of conventional dictates.

If people like Johnny wish to express his inner world via outlandish outfits, then fine do it. Society shouldn't have a problem with that. If this is how Johnny chooses to express his inner self, then more power to him. But that doesn't mean I won't say he looks ridiculous at times. If Johnny can't take jokes or criticisms then maybe he shouldn't be trying to get on the celebrity circuit.

The main issue I have is when Johnny's fans turn around and belittle Evan or people who don't dress for attention or profess certain worldview via outward appearance, as somehow not being 'real', whatever that means.

I think it's shallow to assume that people who dress provocatively are somehow more interesting or 'deep' than people who choose to not do so. The things that make a person 'real' or fascinating to me more often than not, don't usually announce themselves outwardly via clothing or personal styling.

REO
03-02-2011, 04:26 AM
"World title? Fine, if feathers do it for you...."

USFS strikes me as, at heart, results-oriented. Win big and they're happy.

Let us not forget that those feathers were black. :D Seriously though, I agree with you. By the time Evan brought out his feathers and his phallic snake onsie he was the Federation's best hope for Olympic success. Besides those outfits were not extreme.

LuckyCharm
03-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Let us not forget that those feathers were black. :D Seriously though, I agree with you. By the time Evan brought out his feathers and his phallic snake onsie he was the Federation's best hope for Olympic success. Besides those outfits were not extreme.

Neither was anything Johnny wore with the exception of the 2010 SP outfit, and even then, it was more the idea of a man in hot pink corset ties and tassels that was outrageous. If you just look at it and don't think about it the outfit wasn't all that shocking. You'd think he was skating in assless chaps the way some of the media hyped it up. His costumes were never what I would consider flamboyant:rolleyes: (with the possible exception mentioned above.) They way that the commentators and reporters were always describing Johnny just did not match up with reality. That goes for his skating style as well as his costumes. WTF is outrageous or flamboyant:rolleyes: about Otonal, Dr. Zhivago, or The Swan? Sorry if I'm ranting but this has irritated me for years.

skateboy
03-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Looks like the best thing would be allowing him to skate naked, it would satisfy both parties (or emit mass disgust :P ).

Johnny gets way too low on his sitspins for that to be a viable option.

igniculus
03-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Johnny gets way too low on his sitspins for that to be a viable option.

I was talking about Evan there, but I get your point. :lol:

antmanb
03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Neither was anything Johnny wore with the exception of the 2010 SP outfit, and even then, it was more the idea of a man in hot pink corset ties and tassels that was outrageous. If you just look at it and don't think about it the outfit wasn't all that shocking. You'd think he was skating in assless chaps the way some of the media hyped it up. His costumes were never what I would consider flamboyant:rolleyes: (with the possible exception mentioned above.) They way that the commentators and reporters were always describing Johnny just did not match up with reality. That goes for his skating style as well as his costumes. WTF is outrageous or flamboyant:rolleyes: about Otonal, Dr. Zhivago, or The Swan? Sorry if I'm ranting but this has irritated me for years.

^^^THIS! I was equally "meh" about his hot pink corset, that you had to look really hard to find! I was really expecting something really out there (and looking forward to it). To be honest I thought Joubert's weird spiderman-esque costume or the gay Evil Kenevil costume were more "out there" than the hot pink Johnny number.

I thought Johnny's swan outfit was just beautiful - i loved the concept, I loved the look, I actually thought it was very effective and also quite masculine as far as swan costumes go :lol:

overedge
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
They way that the commentators and reporters were always describing Johnny just did not match up with reality. That goes for his skating style as well as his costumes. WTF is outrageous or flamboyant:rolleyes: about Otonal, Dr. Zhivago, or The Swan? Sorry if I'm ranting but this has irritated me for years.

Maybe you should ask Johnny himself, because it isn't just the "commentators and reporters" describing his outfits this way. From his interview on the Today Show about his book:

“My fashion sense can be a bit outlandish, and my costumes are crazy."

manleywoman
03-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I never thought his costumes were crazy. Certainly not in comparison with some euro ones we've seen.