PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55

Justathoughtabl
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Why is it that when Johnny wears flamboyant Las Vegas-showgirl sequing and feathers, posters insist that he's just being himself and that the costumes suit his personality, etc., etc., but when Evan wears black and more traditional masculine attire, the same posters claim that he's only doing it to appease The Powers That Be?
And I'll repeat, that because one USFS official made a derogatory comment about Johnny's choice of costume, it doesn't mean that that one official was speaking for the entire association. The fact remains, however, that Johnny has managed to tick off a lot of people over the years and that some of those people do hold powerful positions within US Figure Skating. The phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you" is obviously one lesson that Johnny never learned.

Johnny is not the only person who has commented on the federation's conservatism and said that they prefer a certain image for their athletes. It's not a figment of his imagination. The politics of judging is not a figment of his imagination either. As far as biting the hand that feeds him, maybe he's not the only one in the wrong, here. Maybe the federation needs to change and get with the times. Maybe it's old-fashioned and needs someone to remind it that the world is changing. I can't even believe Johnny's costumes are considered outrageous in this day and age. No wonder so many people think figure skating is so dorky. It's funny how rebellious characters are often vilified in their own time and celebrated in hindsight. I'm glad he has the courage to be himself. If you consider figure skating to be artistic at all, then you have to admit that there's something to be said for self-expression. Otherwise everyone looks the same, and it's just boring.

psycho
02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Why is it that when Johnny wears flamboyant Las Vegas-showgirl sequing and feathers, posters insist that he's just being himself and that the costumes suit his personality, etc., etc., but when Evan wears black and more traditional masculine attire, the same posters claim that he's only doing it to appease The Powers That Be?

First of all, :lol:
Because Evan used to be much different and then he took a drastic turn for the "manly" as soon as he became the USFSA main man?

And I'll repeat, that because one USFS official made a derogatory comment about Johnny's choice of costume, it doesn't mean that that one official was speaking for the entire association.

So when the USFSA was calling Johnny and Priscilla and badgering them about Johnny's music, hair and costume choices, was that also individuals expressing their opinions? How about when they were robbing him of a US nationals title in 2008. Just a coincidence too?

ETA: And it's not just a "derogative comment" about a costume. It's a constant message that because of your hair/costume/music you are an embarrassment to the sport, and in general, a bad egg. Anyone can dislike a costume all they want, but they took it too far.

IceAlisa
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Funny though, how he seems to have forgotten all the support he's received from USFS both monetarily and emotionally. I know for a fact that there are just as many officials who have praised, defended and supported Johnny over the years but I guess they don't fit in with his persecution complex theories or make as good press. He has not forgotten. He mentions the federation's financial support time and again, as well as its withdrawal.

Most kids learn pretty early that because one judge or even a couple of judges make suggestions for improvement, it doesn't follow that every judge on panel agrees or that the next panel will reward any changes that have been made as a result of the original comments.
Perhaps you should read the book before you pass judgment. What he describes does not really qualify as suggestions for improvement. There were some comments that were rather nasty in nature and they were systematic. Not to say that Johnny behaved well at all times, and he knows it. I think the book is quite balanced so far.

igniculus
02-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Some people make it sound like Evan has turned from a feathery Weirtard-lover into a man in black. He hasn't. He always used to be a black pants + some kind of (rather boring) shirt kind of guy (the fluffy blue cloud he recycled all these years, the red one he used as junior, the black for Carmen, the silky black for whatever program that was, the white, etc). Funny how Johnny should be allowed to wear whatever garbage comes to his mind while Evan is immediately picked apart when he goes for a different idea. I think both guys had some very questionable costume choices during their carriers, as well some very fortunate ones.

REO
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I have always kind of thought that Evan's willingness to conform is what made Johnny disrespect him. In the documentary about Johnny, in the infamous bathtub scene, he and Paris are talking about the notion that if you are "in a certain position you must represent". I guess it depends on your priorities as to whether you want to sell your soul to achieve something.

Secondly it's all well and good to say there are just as many fair people in the Federation as there are people who demand that you fit their idea of what a skater should look like and talk like but the ones you don't forget are the ones who hate you just because you're you.

attyfan
02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I have always kind of thought that Evan's willingness to conform is what made Johnny disrespect him. In the documentary about Johnny, in the infamous bathtub scene, he and Paris are talking about the notion that if you are "in a certain position you must represent". I guess it depends on your priorities as to whether you want to sell your soul to achieve something.

Why do you think that? Costume may well not be something that critically important to Evan, so he can compromise on that issue, without selling his soul. It is unfair to Evan to assume that he must have been "selling his soul" if he was willing to conform in his costuming (or music choices, or whatever).

Also, what I still don't understand is why Johnny thinks that he should be granted a special exemption from the normal troubles that afflict anyone who refuses to conform. It would be nice if people could refuse to conform without any kind of repercussion, but that has never happened (and I doubt that it ever will).

REO
02-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Some people make it sound like Evan has turned from a feathery Weirtard-lover into a man in black. He hasn't. He always used to be a black pants + some kind of (rather boring) shirt kind of guy (the fluffy blue cloud he recycled all these years, the red one he used as junior, the black for Carmen, the silky black for whatever program that was, the white, etc). Funny how Johnny should be allowed to wear whatever garbage comes to his mind while Evan is immediately picked apart when he goes for a different idea. I think both guys had some very questionable costume choices during their carriers, as well some very fortunate ones.

You forgot the sparkly penguin. lol
Evan's costumes might be a bit boring but think about it. He's a big guy. How stupid would he look in something like what Johnny wears?!! Like an over decorated Maypole. Didn't he wear a Ricky Ricardo rhumba shirt back in the day or am I thinking of sombody else?
Johnny's thing is designing his own and he tries to make them evoke his story. Yeah sometimes he goes over the top but that's his personality. I usually love his stuff. It's him! The only costumes that I think are beyond the pale are his recent Lady Gaga suits - but it's GaGa! :lol:

Southpaw
02-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Also, what I still don't understand is why Johnny thinks that he should be granted a special exemption from the normal troubles that afflict anyone who refuses to conform. It would be nice if people could refuse to conform without any kind of repercussion, but that has never happened (and I doubt that it ever will).

It used to be that the trials and tribulations of a non-conformist were a badge of honor. These kids today. :rolleyes:

Anyway, he's being paid by Viacom Inc. now. So much for not selling one's soul. :lol:

REO
02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Why do you think that? Costume may well not be something that critically important to Evan, so he can compromise on that issue, without selling his soul. It is unfair to Evan to assume that he must have been "selling his soul" if he was willing to conform in his costuming (or music choices, or whatever).

No I think it goes deeper than costumes and music.
As for your second paragraph, I could not agree with you more.

VALuvsMKwan
02-28-2011, 11:58 PM
It used to be that the trials and tribulations of a non-conformist were a badge of honor. These kids today. :rolleyes:

Anyway, he's being paid by Viacom Inc. now. So much for not selling one's soul. :lol:

Dahling, don't you know...he's just licensing the brand. :rolleyes:

gkelly
03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Dahling, don't you know...he's just licensing the brand. :rolleyes:

JohnnySoul(TM)?

igniculus
03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
You forgot the sparkly penguin. lol
Evan's costumes might be a bit boring but think about it. He's a big guy. How stupid would he look in something like what Johnny wears?!!

Of course he would, just look at his olympic costumes. This is why I don't understand all the criticism against his choices. If he puts on a Weirtard, he gets ridiculed because they don't fit. If he puts on things that actually look god on him, he is the eville conformist that has sold his soul. Looks like the best thing would be allowing him to skate naked, it would satisfy both parties (or emit mass disgust :P ).

CynicElle
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
This is why I don't understand all the criticism against his choices. If he puts on a Weirtard, he gets ridiculed because they don't fit. If he puts on things that actually look god on him, he is the eville conformist that has sold his soul. Looks like the best thing would be allowing him to skate naked, it would satisfy both parties (or emit mass disgust :P ).

Seriously. And now I'm all curious ... if Evan "sold his soul" back when he started doing the Man in Black thing, did he get a little bit of it returned for the see-through chest mesh and the feathers in his SP costumes in 2009/2010? ;)

Iceman
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Johnny is a second rate Quentin Crisp and I can see him looking like Quentin as he ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Crisp

http://www.miss-thrifty.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/quentin-crisp.jpg

REO
03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Of course he would, just look at his olympic costumes. This is why I don't understand all the criticism against his choices. If he puts on a Weirtard, he gets ridiculed because they don't fit. If he puts on things that actually look god on him, he is the eville conformist that has sold his soul. Looks like the best thing would be allowing him to skate naked, it would satisfy both parties (or emit mass disgust :P ).

I don't know. That could be kinda ouchie for him. :lol: