PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Rex
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
And he does mention his fans, specifically the online discussion. I wonder if he meant FSU. :P

What does he say about that exactly :saint:?

Justathoughtabl
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Does he mention a specific online forum? He specifically mentions Johnny's Angels.
"My fans-- a core group of ladies called Johnny's Angels--are uberfans who always go above and beyond..." Then he walks about how it's hard to be his fan because he says things that piss people off. "[Fans] need to have a thick skin." "Their emotional support is a huge part of my success--so is their financial support. I literally wouldn't be able to afford to skate if I didn't have fans...That's why I never feel like I give my fans enough, although I work very hard to keep them happy." He also thanks his fans in the acknowledgments and says "I am forever in your debt." It's very sweet and sincere. The sweetest thing is what he says about his mother in the acknowledgments. You really can't be cynical about that.

IceAlisa
02-28-2011, 12:00 AM

Figure skating fans are a very unique breed of people. These are the folks who watch skating every time it's on TV and not just during the Olympics. (and online, Jonnhy, don't forget! :P They fill the seats of touring ice shows and comment online about every aspect of the sport.

He then talks about Johnny's Angels and is very grateful for his fans' love and appreciation, actually the above poster quoted that passage.

I also really loved the part where he talks about how TAT "got" him during that summer in Simsbury. She got exactly what I love about his skating and amplified it.

I am also enraged at the USFSA officials if any of what he says is true. Disgusting homophobic behavior.

Rex
02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Wow. I may end up buying the book.

IceAlisa
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
So far I am really enjoying, Rex. The way he came out to his mom made me misty-eyed.

Plus I really wanted to help him pay his mortgage. ;)

Yes, he does behave like a spoiled brat and diva but he acknowledges it. I understand his need to be comfortable before a competition--he sounds like a bad sleeper and being alone in a room may be crucial to obtaining a good night's rest. So I am not at all put off by his demands for a single room. He deserves it.

Rex
02-28-2011, 12:16 AM
I still find him a polarizing figure, but an interesting one.
So if I buy the book, I'll be helping him with his mortgage :lol:.
(But I must finish with Kitty Kelley's :EVILLE: Oprah bio first.)

Civic
02-28-2011, 06:59 AM
I still find him a polarizing figure, but an interesting one.
So if I buy the book, I'll be helping him with his mortgage :lol:.
(But I must finish with Kitty Kelley's :EVILLE: Oprah bio first.)

Ooh...I read the latter book this summer. Are you enjoying it?

sadya
02-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I wish many figure skating books would be available in Holland too so I could find them in the library, I'd love read them. Very rarely you'll find a figure skating book in our library. :-(

Rex
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Ooh...I read the latter book this summer. Are you enjoying it? Oh, yes! VERY interesting. Some of this stuff I've read in blind items on gossip sites, including the stuff about Stedman's dubious ancestry :eek:. But that is another thread.

zaphyre14
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I am also enraged at the USFSA officials if any of what he says is true. Disgusting homophobic behavior.

Keep in mind that a pretty high percentage of USFS officials is gay.

And they're just like us in this forum: some like Johnny, some don't. In any case, an official's individual opinion of Johnny in no way represents the opinion of the entire body.

sk9tingfan
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
I hate to say it, but it's that typical "elevator music" that he always favors :(

That being said, the triple axel that he does during this segment appears to be flawless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hepT00ICryY

IceAlisa
02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Keep in mind that a pretty high percentage of USFS officials is gay. Johnny actually mentioned this. If there are self-hating Jews for instance, why not self-hating gays?

And they're just like us in this forum: some like Johnny, some don't. In any case, an official's individual opinion of Johnny in no way represents the opinion of the entire body.

Well, the various individuals representing the body of USFSA have pressured Johnny on various occasions to be more masculine, not to wear what they considered flamboyant costumes, etc. One may form an opinion that this is systematic and is truly the unwritten policy of USFSA. True, part of this friction was not just Johnny's style but his work ethic as well and he freely acknowledges this.

zaphyre14
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Johnny actually mentioned this. If there are self-hating Jews for instance, why not self-hating gays?

Well, the various individuals representing the body of USFSA have pressured Johnny on various occasions to be more masculine, not to wear what they considered flamboyant costumes, etc. One may form an opinion that this is systematic and is truly the unwritten policy of USFSA. True, part of this friction was not just Johnny's style but his work ethic as well and he freely acknowledges this.

Funny though, how he seems to have forgotten all the support he's received from USFS both monetarily and emotionally. I know for a fact that there are just as many officials who have praised, defended and supported Johnny over the years but I guess they don't fit in with his persecution complex theories or make as good press.

Most kids learn pretty early that because one judge or even a couple of judges make suggestions for improvement, it doesn't follow that every judge on panel agrees or that the next panel will reward any changes that have been made as a result of the original comments.

90% of Johnny's perception of "unwritten policy" is in his own mind.

psycho
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
He thanked a couple of USFSA officials in his end comments, so he knows they are not a monolithic entity.

Keep in mind that a pretty high percentage of USFS officials is gay.

This is out there with "I have gay friends" as the lamest attempt to justify shitty behaviour.

I know for a fact that there are just as many officials who have praised, defended and supported Johnny over the years

Thank you for conducting this in-depth statistical analysis of the data. It must be great to be omniscient.

90% of Johnny's perception of "unwritten policy" is in his own mind.

:lol::lol::lol: You only have to take one look at what happened to poor Evan Lysacek in his quest to appeal to the federation (Man in Black masculinity campaign, anyone?), and you can see that it really isn't. I remember there were reports from 2008 worlds that as Johnny was out there receiving the only medal US was going to get, a USFSA official was bitching that he was bad for the sport because of his feminine costume.:rolleyes: What's with them and costumes anyway? They have nothing better to worry about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hepT00ICryY

The music is beautiful. It's perfect for him, and I hope this program sees the light of day, in whatever form.

zaphyre14
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Why is it that when Johnny wears flamboyant Las Vegas-showgirl sequing and feathers, posters insist that he's just being himself and that the costumes suit his personality, etc., etc., but when Evan wears black and more traditional masculine attire, the same posters claim that he's only doing it to appease The Powers That Be?

And I'll repeat, that because one USFS official made a derogatory comment about Johnny's choice of costume, it doesn't mean that that one official was speaking for the entire association. The fact remains, however, that Johnny has managed to tick off a lot of people over the years and that some of those people do hold powerful positions within US Figure Skating. The phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you" is obviously one lesson that Johnny never learned.