PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Nomad
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I worked at a couple of high-volume bookstores and we had our share of celebrity authors: Amy Tan, Mickey Hart, Anne Rice, Gregory Peck, Danielle Steele, and so on. In most cases, the signings attracted a lot of people and we sold a lot of books that day. And on that day alone. Many people came just so they could say that they'd met so-and-so and got an autograph. Afterwards, nobody cared and at least a third of the books that the home office had made us buy for the event were returned to the publisher.

Willowway
01-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Therefore, it is far from being a best seller

But never doubt that we'll soon be hearing Johnny and Tara calling him, among the other exaggerations, a "bestselling author".

VIETgrlTerifa
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Reminds me of when Laura Ingraham came into our store and lied to her audience by saying that she just got off the phone with her agent and he told her that her book was the number book in the country (to which her audience gave her a rapturous applause). Of course, it wasn't on NYT Bestseller lists, BN bestseller lists, nor even Amazon.com's bestseller's list.

Prancer
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Per the Barnes & Nobel website, the sales rank for Welcome to My World is as follows:

NOOKbook: 6,709

Hardback: 12,496

Therefore, it is far from being a best seller.

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #7,766 in Books
#3 in Books > Sports > Winter Sports > Ice Skating & Figure Skating
#30 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Biographies

I HAD to see what the number one book in Ice Skating and Figure Skating was. What else is out there? And lo and behold, it's the same book, just in the Kindle Edition.

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,332 Paid in Kindle Store
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Sports > Winter Sports > Ice Skating & Figure Skating
#1 in Books > Sports > Winter Sports > Ice Skating & Figure Skating
#5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Sports > Biographies

So yeah, a real niche market book, even though I think Johnny was aiming for something else.

kwanfan1818
01-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Reading "NutureShock" at the same time as Weir's book is like deja vu all over again.

"But if children heard these preparation-for-bias warnings often (rather than just occasionally), they were significantly less likely to connect their successes to effort, and much more likely to blame their failures on their teachers--whom they saw as biased against them.

Harris-Britt warns that frequent predictions of future discrimination ironically become as destructive as experiences of actual discrimination: "If you overfocus on those types of events, you give the children the message that the world is going to be hostile--you're just not valued and that's just the way the world is."

(Kindle version 913-915)

I had to laugh when he complained about what the announcers in the arena said about him during the warm-up:

"I got on the ice and as my picture popped up, the announcer red: "Johnny Weir from the United States of America. Johnny speaks French and Russian. He has a TV show and enjoys fashion." I couldn't believe my ears. Why do I have that?

While everyone else had their hometown and skating credentials, my description sounded like a ****ed-up singles ad. Johnny loves Bordeaux and long walks on the beach. No mention that I was the three-time United States champion, world bronze medalist, or Grand Prix final bronze medalist. Nope, my whole life of dedicating myself to this sport boiled down to this fact: "Oh, he likes fashion."

(Kindle 2911)

Did no one ever tell him that the bios that are read come from the ISU bio that the skater submits, and that they usually ignore all of the numbers and tables and just read the paragraph at the end? Weir's (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00003583.htm) currently reads:

"Weir started skating at age 12 after watching it on television and felt inspired by the performance of 1994 Olympic Champion Oksana Baiul. He landed his first triple jump within a year and made it to the Junior Olympics in both freestyle and pairs (with Jodi Rudden) on the juvenile level in his first year of skating. Weir won the 2001 Junior World Championships, the first time he participated in the event. Weir practised equestrian sports but gave it up in order to focus on skating. He has a brother (four years his junior). Weir starred in a documentary film and upcoming reality series about himself "Pop Star on Ice". He idolizes Christina Aguilera, Irina Slutskaya and Lady Gaga. Weir speaks French and Russian and has a small fashion line in South Korea. He has worked as a model in magazines and on runways. Coach Viktor Petrenko is the 1992 Olympic Champion. Weir's Free Skating is titled "Fallen Angel"."

The announcers are trying to keep the audience awake, and if you don't want people to emphasize that you've got a TV reality show and like fashion, then don't feckin' put it in your ISU bio. I was there, and what I remember is that he speaks French and Russian. He could be the Van der Corkells, where the announcer mentions every time each skates that s/he's married to the other one (because their bios are updated as frequently as their programs and their costumes...)

mmscfdcsu
02-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I think there is more interesting information here:

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/home/bio/q-a-with-johnny/

than there is in the book. :lol:

gkelly
02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Q. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

A. I always wished I could fly. So I suppose if I could change one thing, it would be that I’d have wings in addition to arms.

:lol:

Cherub721
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Q. Describe the guest-star character you would love to play on Glee (because we’d love to see you!)

A. I would love to be a rival of some kind to Kurt. A foreign-exchange student, in clothes Kurt couldn’t get yet in Ohio, singing songs in other languages, and totally stealing his thunder.

That would be :rofl:

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Well, hello Johnny Weir book thread. I finally found you! I think I will get it, too much scandal to pass up. :P

sus2850
02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Well, you all said a lot, so just a short note: I was disappointed in the book because there is basically nothing about the actual skating, why he loves it, why he started it, what kept him going, what work he had to put in. This whole book felt so rushed and the tone is not his (compared to his diary entries/q&a answers).
It is sad that an opportunity is lost to make non-skating fans (who the publishers seem to think of as buyers) interested in the skating world.

REO
02-23-2011, 04:34 AM
I think those things were included up to a point. He has said recently that he had to pull alot of good dish from the book because of the possibility of lawsuits. So the book kinda got watered down. I have a feeling those were the things I most wanted to hear about. Dang.

SkateFan66
02-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I think those things were included up to a point. He has said recently that he had to pull alot of good dish from the book because of the possibility of lawsuits. So the book kinda got watered down. I have a feeling those were the things I most wanted to hear about. Dang.

I always get a good laugh when someone says that they pulled content from their book because of the fear of a possible lawsuit. If the content that the autor pulled was in fact true, then they do not have to worry about a lawsuit because an absloute defense to an allegation of libel is that what was printed is the truth. Therefore, if an author pulls material out of a book because of fear of a libel lawsuit, then the author must not feel that the content can pass the "truth" test.

Willowway
02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks SkateFan - someone needed to say that. People do forget that truth is an absolute defense against a libel suit.

nlyoung
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks SkateFan - someone needed to say that. People do forget that truth is an absolute defense against a libel suit.

Not if you don't have proof... At that point, whether it's true or not makes not one bit of difference to the courts.

psycho
02-23-2011, 03:01 PM

:lol::lol::lol: Maybe in LaLa land, but definitely not in the real world. Often truth matters little when people are building a "case".