PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

ros01
01-22-2011, 06:23 PM
If it's a tell-all, I wish he had really told it all, rather than just his feelings (as he seems to judging from posts). If you're going to call Michael Weiss classless, why not tell us exactly why you feel that way? Why not also share details of your training and costume designing? That might really be interesting. Oh well.

mag
01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
In the end, it all comes down to my point about those striving for attention or shock value being the least interesting. Sometimes I'm ashamed for my generation's overall views regarding creativity and art. Too often we accept the facade of impertinent, superficial titilation as genuine, artistic expression.

Exactly!

judiz
01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
If it's a tell-all, I wish he had really told it all, rather than just his feelings (as he seems to judging from posts). If you're going to call Michael Weiss classless, why not tell us exactly why you feel that way? Why not also share details of your training and costume designing? That might really be interesting. Oh well.

That's what I was hoping for, details about training, costume design, competitions, after competition parties, friendships between skaters etc

Prancer
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
That's what I was hoping for, details about training, costume design, competitions, after competition parties, friendships between skaters etc

I'd like to see that book, too, but I doubt if most publishers would go for it, as the audience for such a book would be very limited.

MacMadame
01-24-2011, 01:28 AM
I'd like to see that book, too, but I doubt if most publishers would go for it, as the audience for such a book would be very limited.

Most people like those kinds of details though. It comes off as intimate and gossipy IMO.

Though it would help if it's well written. :lol:

I forgot to say that last week I was looking at the iBook store and Johnny's book was featured. :cool:

overedge
01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Steve Bauer (Canadian professional cyclist) wrote a book about being "on tour" - the professional cycling competition circuit - with one of Lance Armstrong's teams. E.g. how the teams are organized, how they travel, how they get fed, the race strategies, etc. As a non-cyclist and someone who doesn't closely follow professional cycling, I really enjoyed reading it. So I think it's possible to write a book about how a sport works that would be an interesting read for those who aren't big fans of the sport.

luCN
01-24-2011, 05:17 AM
BTW,what's the sales volume of the book?anyone knows?

and how many they producted for the first print?(I don't know how to say it in English,hope someone can understand...it's on the book's second cover or on the page before the catalog with other informations about the book)

Rex
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM

What about Boitano's Edge? It had purty pictures, if a little lacking in real dish. Brian doesn't seem like the type to do that.

Jenny
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Steve Bauer (Canadian professional cyclist) wrote a book about being "on tour" - the professional cycling competition circuit - with one of Lance Armstrong's teams. E.g. how the teams are organized, how they travel, how they get fed, the race strategies, etc. As a non-cyclist and someone who doesn't closely follow professional cycling, I really enjoyed reading it. So I think it's possible to write a book about how a sport works that would be an interesting read for those who aren't big fans of the sport.

I agree that a well-written and interesting memoir or biography can have legs beyond fans of that particular personality or sport. There are many readers of memoirs and biographies out there (me included), and I could see a potential market among Olympic fans, as well as fans of artistic sports (ie gymnastics) and performing arts (ie dance or theatre).

Any time we can get an inside view of something, there will be people who will be interested I think.

So, I think if Johnny had focused more on the sport, competitions and backstage at shows, it might have a wider audience than just his personal snarks and celebrity name dropping. Particularly in the latter case, there are people with far greater access, juicier stories and more interesting circles than Johnny, so on that note alone, it's not a strong product.

Frau Muller
01-24-2011, 06:03 PM

There was a lot of that, e.g., the 'handstand contest' with Evan at an after-party in Moscow.

poths
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Shelby Lyons. One of the best fluff pieces ever!

Would kill to see that. :lol:

Poor Shelby, obviously...but PML at the thought of the fluff.

AnnieBgood
01-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Entire post.

Well said!

Spartacus
01-26-2011, 06:31 AM
BTW,what's the sales volume of the book?anyone knows?

^Me too! With this massive promo tour he's on it must be a best seller!

Nomad
01-26-2011, 06:34 AM

My brother manages the So. Cal. B&N stores. According to him, it's not.

SkateFan66
01-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Per the Barnes & Nobel website, the sales rank for Welcome to My World is as follows:

NOOKbook: 6,709

Hardback: 12,496

Therefore, it is far from being a best seller.