PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Capella
01-21-2011, 11:40 PM
...(didn't Sidney Vogel basically sleep in a closet?) ...Shelby Lyons. One of the best fluff pieces ever!

blue_idealist
01-21-2011, 11:48 PM
I might have to buy this book just to have a good laugh! I knew JW was annoying, but I had no idea it was this bad!

polett
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Precisely. Most skaters go in to major credit card debt, stay with host families (didn't Sidney Vogel basically sleep in a closet?) coach on the side, skate in crappy old boots, etc etc just for the opportunity. They do whatever they need to do to get there and do it without a sense of entitlement.
Is Sidney still works at Nordstrom?

museksk8r
01-22-2011, 12:21 AM
I have always been a "fan" of Johnny Weir. I loved his skating style and ability and ignored his off ice persona. The past few years I thought his skating was falling off, but I still enjoyed it.

After reading this book I am very irritated and slightly disgusted with him. He constantly talks about the Federation being against him and trying to hold him down, when really it's him doing it to himself and putting the blame on everyone else around him.

Also, he comes across as very ungrateful. I got very irritated reading about his experience at the 2010 Olympics. He didn't want to participate in any of the events, like the opening ceremony, and felt angry the Federation asked him to. Even though he was part of the team! He also didn't want to spend any time with other members of the US team, or wear any US team clothing. Someone else would have loved to be in that position and enjoyed every minute of it (like Ryan Bradley). Not sat around in his hotel room bitching about everything and declaring himself "on his own team."

He also kept going on and on about how mad he was at the USFSA because they sent him there as a "monkey" to make money and earn ratings, and not based on his skating. Well, he did place 3rd at Nationals, so he earned his spot on the team. I don't understand how he can say that.

I find myself very annoyed with him.

That's the impression I'm gathering from this thread too. I prefer the Be Good Johnny Weir silly, joking, not taking himself too seriously persona of him that I had in my head and was tempted to get his book, but not after this thread. It appears the sides of Weir's personality that are not likable have risen to the surface in his memoir. I had always found his constant blaming of others for his lackluster results as a turn-off and it seems that is at the forefront of his book. It's a shame!

manleywoman
01-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Shelby Lyons. One of the best fluff pieces ever!

Thank you! It was Shelby.

(Was she also the one with the unfortunate underwear incident?) :yikes:

Capella
01-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Thank you! It was Shelby.

(Was she also the one with the unfortunate underwear incident?) :yikes:
yes

I'm scaring myself with this knowledge.

Segue into the thread topic...:shuffle: so Shelby would come out of the closet daily...

my little pony
01-22-2011, 03:46 AM
what is this unfortunate underwear incident?

judiz
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Is he so desperate to be seen as cool and fashionable that he has to diss the small cities and towns that have been part of his skating career?

Pathetic poser.

Been following this thread and sorry but where is it written that every skater has to love and gush over every single city and town they skate in? Johnny lack of love for Lake Placid is no secret, he announced it on an episode of Be Good Johnny Weir.

Truth is, Johnny has no filter, he just says what he thinks.

manleywoman
01-22-2011, 03:57 AM

Let's just say Shelby was apparently never taught to wear a thong, or no undies at all, during competition. So during the televised competition (US Nationals I think) her very blindingly white granny pants started to creep out farther and farther from under her skating costume. They were pretty far down her thigh. One of the commentators -- Peggy perhaps? -- called it "very unfortunate" and "distracting." :rofl:

Not as distracting as Melissa Gregory skating for an entire program with one boob hanging out, but still very bad indeed.

Moto Guzzi
01-22-2011, 04:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuoGMUdgHM0&playnext=1&list=PL9B3F3270CB5A8515&index=32

It happened on the triple twist about one minute into the program.

mag
01-22-2011, 05:14 AM
...Truth is, Johnny has no filter, he just says what he thinks.

Some may see it as "no filter," to me it is just bad manners. I just hate, hate, hate all the sitcom talk that has made its way into everyday life. Johnny is not required to like Lake Placid, or anywhere else for that matter, but it seems to be terribly bad form to be so negative in his book. We (okay, I'm generalizing here) seem to have lost sight of the fact that what "we" say can affect other people. It is like all those rude obnoxious kids on sitcoms who are rude and nasty to their friends and parents yet nobody ever takes offense. Well, in real life, people do take offense and do get hurt. IMHO Johnny is going for shock value at other people's expense and that, again IMHO, just shows a total lack of class.

Southpaw
01-22-2011, 05:41 AM
No filter, bad manners, immaturity....whatever you want to call it, if he pisses people off and alienates people and the end result is that people end up thinking he's a massive douchebag (as this thread is suggesting), well, that's cause and effect, baby. He's the one who has to live with the effects of his big fat mouth, but then he really shouldn't be bitching and moaning and acting like a big fat victim because nobody showed up for his Olympic practices if he was running his big fat unfiltered mouth about not wanting to do any of the events because he's not a team player. If you tell people to go eff themselves enough times, then guess what? They're gonna tell YOU to go eff yourself eventually.

You wanna runna da big fat mouth? You live-a with the consequences.

Iceman
01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
If Johnny is not careful, he may find himself starving again, but it won't be as an "artist". That being said his recording topped the charts in Japan:

http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx?id=7357&MediaType=1&Category=22

blue_idealist
01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuoGMUdgHM0&playnext=1&list=PL9B3F3270CB5A8515&index=32

It happened on the triple twist about one minute into the program.

bahaha

portia
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Almost any book tends to be a tool to get attention. Performance artists also use their artistry as "a tool to get attention," in some cases art uses artists to attract attention to itself. Same goes for Figure Skating, it will languish and waste away without attention. So do skaters.

Johnny Weir considers himself an artist, as well as athlete and has an artist's soul, so it always be about Fame.
The fact that he was denied (or denied himself) the ultimate recognition in the sport, an Olympic medal, has dictated the course of the next stage of his life. No matter how big is the crowd of his fans, supporters or those who love him unconditionally, this failure festering within him will lead to even stronger lust for acceptance and recognition.

The good thing is that he is still young and daring. He still can experiment, try different directions, do crazy things. I really think younger artists have advantage over older ones, who have wisdom. They have certain enthusiasm that let them attempt basically stupid things, also impossible to do. Johnny has this wonderful lack of intelligence when it comes to what's possible (for him) and what's not. That can enable him to surprise even himself. Anyway, I wish him a blast of a ride.

I doubt he offended anyone he might regret offending later. As for consequences, — there're always consequences. "You just bent over and take it."

I don't see any hypocrisy. In spite of the fact that he has imagination and proclivity to exaggeration/dramatization, the book left me with the feeling of good potential but intentionally or not evoked the impression of incompleteness. For one reason or another, he has decided not to publish all material he had, but when time will come he'll do it. Also he has plenty of time to refine his writing ability if he wants to, as well as to find a good editor. And the last but not least, the title of the book does not suggest objectivity (if such thing exist) whatsoever. :P

1) True performing artists, not counting attention-seeking i.e. talentless pop star wannabes, do not purposefully employ their talents as tools to get attention. You might be confusing an artist's need to convey/ share creative vision with that of a poseur's for worshipful attention. For the latter, it could be said that the end result (fame) becomes the prize rather than the exhilaration a true artist feels during the process of creating art. Those are two totally separate motivations IMO. True art, and one can argue for FS to be included as an art, will never waste away if it continues to evolve and hold an audience. Although attention-seeking for the sake of attention-seeking or shock value will garner immediate response, it is but an unsustainable one which ultimately serves to only cheapen the art.

2) It is a myth that older or more experienced artists are less likely to be experimentative or enthused than younger artists. This is especially true of stage or live performers such as dancers, and for sake of comparison, figure skaters. Attempting stupid things does not equate with enthusiasm; rather it may just mean one lacks certain filters. Speaking from my experience in the dance world, it is more often the early middle-age/ middle-age dancers and choreographers who are the most creative. This is due to the fact that they're at the crossroad between their ideals and also mastery of their craft.

3) The book notwithstanding, Johnny and his many, recent johnny-isms are in themselves contradictory if not outright hypocritical. He lauds Boss-from-Hell Anna Wintour for her brutalness in human relations, yet concurrently laments at how figure skating powers that be were such meanies to poor lil' Johnny. That is just one of many examples from the excerpts alone, and no I don't intend to purchase nor read the entire, reverse roman a clef. The excerpts alone are such turn-offs that I'm afraid I wouldn't even appreciate him as a skater if I read the book.

In the end, it all comes down to my point about those striving for attention or shock value being the least interesting. Sometimes I'm ashamed for my generation's overall views regarding creativity and art. Too often we accept the facade of impertinent, superficial titilation as genuine, artistic expression.