PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

antmanb
01-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Worse than Andie McDowell in Four Weddings and a Funeral? :eek:

She was only cast to make him look passable!

Ant

Iceman
01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Johnny is becoming tiresome and boring.

judiz
01-21-2011, 01:14 PM
While I still couldn't get my hand on a copy of the book, if this is true, I rather find it sad. Alex, after all those years, still managed to maintain a very professional, low-key and natural way of lifestyle, adored by many for his skating style and work, as well for his way of not getting involved in any kind of scandal or outragousness. So, looking at that, I think it was quite the opposite: Alex was way too good for Johnny.

Actually Johnny never said he was too good for "Alex", those were the words Marina used when she yelled at Johnny who was crying over the end of the relationship. Johnny actually says he never thought he could fall in love with anyone like he did with Alex.

Skittl1321
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Those other skaters included Scott Smith, who had just finished 4th at Nationals - higher than Johnny had ever finished in his two senior nationals - and showed up landing a quad sal

Derrick Delmore, 1998 WJC and also someone with a quad sal (that he had landed in international competition) was in the field too. ;)

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if Liberty just wasn't as big of an event back then. But it sounds like the "little"-ness of it was just in Johnny's mind.

igniculus
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Actually Johnny never said he was too good for "Alex", those were the words Marina used when she yelled at Johnny who was crying over the end of the relationship.

Hah, Marina of all people. Pot meets kettle. :blah:

LuckyCharm
01-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Hah, Marina of all people. Pot meets kettle. :blah:

You don't say that kind of thing to your friends when they're upset over a breakup? I certainly do. Whether it's true is never really the issue at the time.

overedge
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I think you may be confusing Hugh Grant with Hugh Laurie. The latter's father, Ran Laurie, won a gold medal in rowing at the 1948 Olympics.

You are correct, and I apologize for mixing up my Hughs.

igniculus
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
You don't say that kind of thing to your friends when they're upset over a breakup? I certainly do. Whether it's true is never really the issue at the time.

I think it really needs to depend on the circumstances to say something like that (for me, of course).

Rex
01-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Didn't see it. But he was the weak link in an otherwise magnificent cast in Sense and Sensibility, I thought. At least Alan Rickman was there to make up for him. :D

The only thing I truly liked him in was Maurice....

Back OT, now I am tempted to buy Johnny's book.

polett
01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I think Johnny wrote this book not as a autobiography,just a tool to get attentions,whether good or bad,just attentions and spotlights.╮(╯_╰)╭
Almost any book tends to be a tool to get attention. Performance artists also use their artistry as "a tool to get attention," in some cases art uses artists to attract attention to itself. Same goes for Figure Skating, it will languish and waste away without attention. So do skaters.

Johnny Weir considers himself an artist, as well as athlete and has an artist's soul, so it always be about Fame.
The fact that he was denied (or denied himself) the ultimate recognition in the sport, an Olympic medal, has dictated the course of the next stage of his life. No matter how big is the crowd of his fans, supporters or those who love him unconditionally, this failure festering within him will lead to even stronger lust for acceptance and recognition.

The good thing is that he is still young and daring. He still can experiment, try different directions, do crazy things. I really think younger artists have advantage over older ones, who have wisdom. They have certain enthusiasm that let them attempt basically stupid things, also impossible to do. Johnny has this wonderful lack of intelligence when it comes to what's possible (for him) and what's not. That can enable him to surprise even himself. Anyway, I wish him a blast of a ride.

Either Johnny did not get good advice, or this is just another manifestation of him doing it 'his way" and not caring who he offends or what they think, no matter the consequences. I hope he doesn't regret writing this book in 10 years because I'm guessing he'll be viewing things with a much more mature lens (as most of us do) as he gets into his 30s and 40s.
I doubt he offended anyone he might regret offending later. As for consequences, there're always consequences. "You just bent over and take it."

I don't see any hypocrisy. In spite of the fact that he has imagination and proclivity to exaggeration/dramatization, the book left me with the feeling of good potential but intentionally or not evoked the impression of incompleteness. For one reason or another, he has decided not to publish all material he had, but when time will come he'll do it. Also he has plenty of time to refine his writing ability if he wants to, as well as to find a good editor. And the last but not least, the title of the book does not suggest objectivity (if such thing exist) whatsoever. :P

Willowway
01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
has an artist's soul, so it always be about Fame

I'd like to voice a radical difference of opinion. True artistry is not about fame and fame may be, in many cases, an art-killer or at least it may water it down. Never confuse an artistic soul with fame-seeking - they have nothing to do with each other, absolutely nothing. In some informed people's minds they may even be mutually exclusive.

Your point about his disappointment in his overall achievements as a skater and an effort to compensate for that - yup, I agree on that one.

overedge
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure that I can express this accurately, but...what makes me especially sad about the excerpts that I have read is the opportunities and funding that could have gone to other skaters.

I am pretty sure that Johnny was not thinking "To hell with you, Mr. First Alternate" when he pretended to be sick and withdrew after the costume argument at the Cup of Russia competition. And I am certainly not saying that he didn't deserve the funding and support that he did receive, because he is/was a very talented skater, or that he didn't have to struggle to pay his expenses at times. It's just that when I read about him complaining about having to stay in the alleged "no tell" motel in Lake Placid, and how he was a Starving Artist so Tarasova waived her fees.....I don't know, I just think about all the skaters who never even have a chance to go to Sectionals or to train with Tarasova even if they could pay her. And he doesn't seem to realize how much opportunity he did receive, even with all the troubles he had.

I think it gets back to what was being discussed before, about how he might feel underappreciated in the sport no matter what he accomplished. I don't feel he's being explicitly ungrateful, but OTOH his apparent blindness to how well he did do and how far he got, compared to a lot of skaters, is troubling to me.

UWDawg
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I have always been a "fan" of Johnny Weir. I loved his skating style and ability and ignored his off ice persona. The past few years I thought his skating was falling off, but I still enjoyed it.

After reading this book I am very irritated and slightly disgusted with him. He constantly talks about the Federation being against him and trying to hold him down, when really it's him doing it to himself and putting the blame on everyone else around him.

Also, he comes across as very ungrateful. I got very irritated reading about his experience at the 2010 Olympics. He didn't want to participate in any of the events, like the opening ceremony, and felt angry the Federation asked him to. Even though he was part of the team! He also didn't want to spend any time with other members of the US team, or wear any US team clothing. Someone else would have loved to be in that position and enjoyed every minute of it (like Ryan Bradley). Not sat around in his hotel room bitching about everything and declaring himself "on his own team."

He also kept going on and on about how mad he was at the USFSA because they sent him there as a "monkey" to make money and earn ratings, and not based on his skating. Well, he did place 3rd at Nationals, so he earned his spot on the team. I don't understand how he can say that.

I find myself very annoyed with him.

agalisgv
01-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Johnny has this wonderful lack of intelligence...That can enable him to surprise even himself. :shuffle: :shuffle: :shuffle:

manleywoman
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I am pretty sure that Johnny was not thinking "To hell with you, Mr. First Alternate" when he pretended to be sick and withdrew after the costume argument at the Cup of Russia competition. And I am certainly not saying that he didn't deserve the funding and support that he did receive, because he is/was a very talented skater, or that he didn't have to struggle to pay his expenses at times. It's just that when I read about him complaining about having to stay in the alleged "no tell" motel in Lake Placid, and how he was a Starving Artist so Tarasova waived her fees.....I don't know, I just think about all the skaters who never even have a chance to go to Sectionals or to train with Tarasova even if they could pay her. And he doesn't seem to realize how much opportunity he did receive, even with all the troubles he had.

Precisely. Most skaters go in to major credit card debt, stay with host families (didn't Sidney Vogel basically sleep in a closet?) coach on the side, skate in crappy old boots, etc etc just for the opportunity. They do whatever they need to do to get there and do it without a sense of entitlement.