PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

flyingsit
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I once sat next to a NYCB ballerina at an Upper West Side restaurant after a ballet performance. She had danced one ballet in the matinee and was scheduled to dance another in the evening, and her lunch was a side salad of lettuce and tomato, with dressing on the side. She picked out all of the tomatoes, didn't touch the dressing, and mostly chain-smoked until she asked for her bill. I was astonished that she could live on that.

I remember that once Sasha Cohen described one of her favorite meals as "a Caesar salad with no dressing and no croutons." In other words, a bowl of lettuce.

ribbon
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I can understand Johnny not wanting to live in a small town (I too much prefer big cities, the bigger the better, and I would feel myself shrivel if I had to live in a tiny town!) but he was in Lake Placid for a competition! Surely he can handle two days in beautiful surroundings (the serial killer mountain town stuff is almost always just in movies, darling). Plus, Lake Placid has an amazing history for skaters and athletes in general. Seeing how Johnny is a two-time Olympian himself, I was surprised he was so anti Lake Placid for the event. And if he thinks his lodgings were bad, he should see some hostels I've stayed at. But, you know what, even though I have had crappy lodgings, I've found the positives or at least have told myself it is only temporary and become more grateful for what I do have. In both pieces published for free online, I have not seen much of this (aside from a line here or there in regards to a coach's words or a fan's behavior). It is a shame, since in person, he seems truly touched by kind words and not just expensive gifts. That's my big problem with the book - the tone of it has differed from what I've witnessed in person (well, both in person and in the book Johnny is always a tad too dramatic!) but I really hope the behavior I witness at shows is the truer picture of where his mind and heart are...seeing how these are the two excerpts published, I don't have much interest in buying the book, and as others have mentioned, the writing itself is not at all what I thought he was capable of...

And the line I think mmscfdcsu is referring to is: "The federation had cut off my official funding and anyone who had previously given me money had either died or decided I was washed up."

It does sound rather cold, although I think he just meant to state matter-of-factly that his benefactor had passed away. Just another example of atrocious writing...

mmscfdcsu
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
And the line I think mmscfdcsu is referring to is: "The federation had cut off my official funding and anyone who had previously given me money had either died or decided I was washed up."

It does sound rather cold, although I think he just meant to state matter-of-factly that his benefactor had passed away. Just another example of atrocious writing...

That is it. A :confused: how could his agent think this was okay. I agree. Bad writing.

Perhaps Johnny is just frightened by small towns and too much woods. He wrote about that as a child. Being so frightened that he needed three nightlights and the radio on.:eek: Also the bit of sleeping with three knives by his bed on his first night alone in his first apartment! :confused: :eek:

Wyliefan
01-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Not all who tweet are twits.

Nicely put! :)

rudi
01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I've always found Johnny much more interesting as a skater than as a person, so my view of him hasn't really changed after reading the book.

I've been a fan of Johnny's skating since 2001; I don't really know him as a person, other than what is shown in the media. One thing that has fascinated me is the success that he has achieved despite the fact that he didn't start skating until the age of 12. I find that pretty incredible and admire him for this.

I've never met him, but observed his interactions w/people at Nationals, etc. back in those days. At that time he seemed like a nice, respectful, and somewhat quiet kid; however, that was before he adopted his Johnny "persona" (the fur, being more outspoken in the media, etc.) So I'm not sure which is the real Johnny. Maybe he is some of both, and, if so, that's cool. The discussion here about the book makes him sound more self-centered/shallow than I thought he would be, I guess. I 'm sure I will read it, though. If he comes down to FL and does a book signing, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll request it from my library because I'm cheap like that. :)

AYS
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
I find the Weiss comments interesting, because some of the more glowing, positive words I've ever heard about Michael Weiss as a person and competitor came from Johnny's mother. Granted it was a while ago, but well after Weiss already had some national championships and world medals under his belt. I guess the dynamics changed in years that followed.

rudi
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I remember that once Sasha Cohen described one of her favorite meals as "a Caesar salad with no dressing and no croutons." In other words, a bowl of lettuce.

LOL...That is classic. The funniest part about that is that she says it's one of her favorite meals. How can that be someone's favorite meal? Lettuce doesn't even taste like anything!

It is possible to train and not eat a lot. I have seen gymnasts go all day on a couple of carrots and a protein bar/breakfast bar, etc. The scary thing is that, in some of these cases, it was the coaches dictating their diets. This was years back; I could be wrong, but I don't think this type of thing is as prevalent these days (at least I hope not). Honestly I don't know how they did it (I couldn't have done it), but they did. But that's a whole 'nother topic...!

Skittl1321
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I once sat next to a NYCB ballerina at an Upper West Side restaurant after a ballet performance. She had danced one ballet in the matinee and was scheduled to dance another in the evening, and her lunch was a side salad of lettuce and tomato, with dressing on the side. She picked out all of the tomatoes, didn't touch the dressing, and mostly chain-smoked until she asked for her bill. I was astonished that she could live on that.

Although she (and other ballerinas and skaters/gymnasts) may actually live on this type of meal (the stories in some gymnasts biographies are terrifying. Where does the energy come from?), I'm not sure you can judge what a performer eats when they are scheduled to dance that evening.

I don't eat more than a few almonds before a dance or skating performance, because I don't want food in my stomach.

A professional ballerina who is expected to look very very slight isn't going to want to be bloated for an evening show.

genevieve
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah, there were only certain foods I could eat in the hours before performing. Very possible she had power bars or something similar to eat right before the show.

manleywoman
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Tanith Belbin, both Shibutanis, Meryl, Charlie, Evan Bates, Ryan Bradley, Armin, Mirai, Christina-Maria Sperduto and Melissa Bulanhagui are just a few examples off the top of my head of skaters who have totally delightful twitter feeds. They aren't curing cancer,

Tara Lipinski, Johnny and to a lesser extent Sarah Hughes tweet a lot about Starbucks, yoga, restaurants and manicures. All are in their mid to late twenties and it's not beyond the pale to point out there's something pretty vapid about that.
Precisely. Sarah is most disappointing because of the Yale degree. But it's all pilates, Starbucks, etc.

I wonder if Johnny doesn't like Lake Placid because the place is literally infested with Olympians. It's one thing to be a small fish in a big pond, but Placid is like being a small fish in a small pond.

nylynnr
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Precisely. Sarah is most disappointing because of the Yale degree. But it's all pilates, Starbucks, etc.

Sarah recently came to my hometown to pitch in at a fundraiser for ALS and I know she's spent a lot of time helping out other charities. I guess for some reason she doesn't tweet about those activities.

Wyliefan
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Sasha enjoyed steak and ice cream as well, or so she said. So she had that much going for her!

manleywoman
01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Sarah recently came to my hometown to pitch in at a fundraiser for ALS and I know she's spent a lot of time helping out other charities. I guess for some reason she doesn't tweet about those activities.

Same with breast cancer. I know she's involved in a lot of charity work, and it's certainly her prerogative to tweet what she likes. But I guess I just find her tweets a bit disappointing.

Jenny
01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Sasha enjoyed steak and ice cream as well, or so she said. So she had that much going for her!

As I recall, she was funded by the beef industry, so that might have had something to do with it.

Wyliefan
01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
As I recall, she was funded by the beef industry, so that might have had something to do with it.

I know, but I'm hoping that translated to actually eating steak once in a while. :)