PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

jlai
01-19-2011, 03:24 AM
I suppose, but I find it disconcerting when something devastating or major happens in the world and all they can discuss is hair products or massages. Every. Damn. Day.

That's why I am not following any skater at the moment on Twitter. Not even the ones I like.

mmscfdcsu
01-19-2011, 03:25 AM
I suppose, but I find it disconcerting when something devastating or major happens in the world and all they can discuss is hair products or massages. Every. Damn. Day.

Yes, but some of them are very, very young. It is kind of normal to be self-absorbed at 16. If all we are talking about at 26 is shopping, makeup, and pop culture it is a bit of a concern.

What about the clueless ones that encourage us to have a "Happy Memorial Day"

Prancer
01-19-2011, 03:37 AM
:shuffle: Are you sure about that? Some of the parts are so :eek: :eek: :eek: that it is hard to believe that his agent read it and let him put it out there. His only description of his modern dance teacher was "fat" :rolleyes: The total self absorbtion when he speaks about a benefactor of his who donated some money to his skating. Not a word of praise for this person, just a poor me kind of attitude that now nobody was giving him money after this person died. :(

Of course I'm not sure, but I suspect that you don't have too much in common with the average Johnny fan and thus your reaction might not reflect the majority. Or it might, for all I know. I've always found Johnny much more interesting as a skater than as a person, so my view of him hasn't really changed after reading the book.

rudi can always read all the excerpts linked in this thread and see if any of it sounds appealing :).

Jenny
01-19-2011, 03:43 AM
I must say the illustration on Johnny's Twitter page is adorable - he looks good chubby :)

mmscfdcsu
01-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Of course I'm not sure, but I suspect that you don't have too much in common with the average Johnny fan and thus your reaction might not reflect the majority. Or it might, for all I know. I've always found Johnny much more interesting as a skater than as a person, so my view of him hasn't really changed after reading the book.

rudi can always read all the excerpts linked in this thread and see if any of it sounds appealing :).

I used to find him interesting as a skater. Not so much after Tarasova. It was pretty much downhill after that. I love his edges. I loved the pureness of his skating. I loved the way he seemed to feel the music at times. I loved the perfect triple axel.
I still admire him for several things. His kindness to his fans. He is a sweetheart in person. I admire his ability to learn and speak other languages. I admire his ability to be interested in different cultures.

I still have hope that he will mature, though I'm not holding out quite so much hope. It seems as if every season I was saying something like "Looks like my boy is starting to grow up" :shuffle: Then I would always have to recant. In the greater scheme of things he is still a very young kid. I sort of see him as Toller light. :shuffle:

And yes I know it is awful to judge someone that I do not even know. My thoughts are based solely on what I observe and on what he puts out there.

Prancer
01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
I must say the illustration on Johnny's Twitter page is adorable - he looks good chubby :)

:)

And yes I know it is awful to judge someone that I do not even know. My thoughts are based solely on what I observe and on what he puts out there.

Don't we all :).

Coco
01-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Regarding Twitter, there is such a thing as too much access. Someone who tweets as much as some of these skaters and other minor celebrities do, yet always had something socially responsible and important to say would be really unnatural, at best.

No one is that interesting or impressive when viewed that closely. So for the same reason I don't watch sausage being made, no Twitter for me.

psycho
01-19-2011, 04:27 AM
:shuffle: Are you sure about that? Some of the parts are so :eek: :eek: :eek: that it is hard to believe that his agent read it and let him put it out there. His only description of his modern dance teacher was "fat" :rolleyes: The total self absorbtion when he speaks about a benefactor of his who donated some money to his skating. Not a word of praise for this person, just a poor me kind of attitude that now nobody was giving him money after this person died. :(

You are free to read whatever you wish into his words, but to me, this

"I found out a few days later that my benefactress- the lady who had sent my mother money here and there through the years to help with a costume or some extra for music editing simply because she loved my skating- had passed away in the hospital."
reads as an acknowledgement of her generosity: giving money and asking nothing in return.

I agree. I find Twitter incredibly informative as to which skaters are relatively well-rounded and which skaters are spoiled, entitled brats.

You better hope no one bothers to find your twitter because with the amount of self-righteousness you display, you better be quoting philosophers and contemplating the meaning or life/curing cancer on it, otherwise this statement is going to make you look really, really silly...;):lol:

reese
01-19-2011, 04:46 AM
You better hope no one bothers to find your twitter because with the amount of self-righteousness you display, you better be quoting philosophers and contemplating the meaning or life/curing cancer on it, otherwise this statement is going to make you look really, really silly...;):lol:

Tanith Belbin, both Shibutanis, Meryl, Charlie, Evan Bates, Ryan Bradley, Armin, Mirai, Christina-Maria Sperduto and Melissa Bulanhagui are just a few examples off the top of my head of skaters who have totally delightful twitter feeds. They aren't curing cancer, but they also aren't telling us about their new Balenciaga bags.

Skaters like Agnes Zawadski come off in a very teenage way, but that's not obnoxious, it's what you'd expect for someone of that age.

Tara Lipinski, Johnny and to a lesser extent Sarah Hughes tweet a lot about Starbucks, yoga, restaurants and manicures. All are in their mid to late twenties and it's not beyond the pale to point out there's something pretty vapid about that.

Carolla5501
01-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Is there some reason you even follow twitter? Honstly I don't care WHEN you get starbucks, WHEN you go to gym, etc... the details of your life are generally boring. Even if you are a top figure skater LOL! The whole point of "twitter" is "Talk about myself" Why would you expect a skater to be any diferent then anyone else wiht thier "vapid" tweets.

(I should point out that I have a lot of friends who are "blocked" on Facebook. Once again whle they may think EVERYTHING they do is "annoucement worthy" I don't! Social media has one drawback... TMI! I don't care that you went to the grocery or that your child is taking his violin lesson! )

Theatregirl1122
01-19-2011, 05:10 AM

In that case, I don't think you're following any of the same skaters as me either. I don't think I've seen any skaters I follow discuss a hair product (except Johnny).

DickButtonFan
01-19-2011, 06:27 AM
I'm sure there are people that think we all need to grow up because we talk about skating every single day. How is that any different than talking about fashion every day? It's what Johnny loves, we all like different things.

Prancer
01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Is there some reason you even follow twitter? Honstly I don't care WHEN you get starbucks, WHEN you go to gym, etc... the details of your life are generally boring. Even if you are a top figure skater LOL! The whole point of "twitter" is "Talk about myself" Why would you expect a skater to be any diferent then anyone else wiht thier "vapid" tweets.

I follow Twitter because it is the best source I've found for filtered work-related information and news. Not all who tweet are twits.

antmanb
01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm sure there are people that think we all need to grow up because we talk about skating every single day. How is that any different than talking about fashion every day? It's what Johnny loves, we all like different things.

I don't knoiw about you but I don't belittle people for not knowing anything about skating. I don't think people are backward or small minded for not sharing my interests and I don't wear my skates or costumes outside of the rink :P

Ant

mmscfdcsu
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Any particular reason that you are attempting to make it look like yiou are quoting me here? :rolleyes:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3026830&postcount=555

The quote about the benefactor that I am disgusted with is not the one you quoted. I will find it for you after work tonight.