PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

genevieve
01-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Regardless of what Johnny really eats or ate while training, it's clearly important to him that fans THINK he was barely eating anything, and that's pretty problematic as well. I noticed just from his movie that he was a bit obsessed with being not just slender but skinny. It's kind of disturbing.

wickedwitch
01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
My very first though after reading parts of this was how often it was mentioned that the USFS(A) favored Evan because he was the great, straight hope. I've always rolled my eyes at that, but now, more than ever, I can understand why the USFS(A) would much prefer to deal with Evan than Johnny.

My other thought was that Johnny seems to want to portray himself as shallow, as if he thinks he'd be more marketable that way. Johnny's no saint, but he has moments where he's a caring individual, and those are never mentioned.

sk9tingfan
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm curious -- Do others think that, after this book's publication, Johnny will be receiving his Reader's Choice trophy at Nationals-Greensboro next week? This was going to be one of the highlights for me...seeing Johnny at Greensboro, even if it's accepting an award. He's still scheduled to appear, right?

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=44811&type=media

Based on my (very reliable) sources, wild horses wouldn't keep him from being there. So, if for some reason, he's not, then we all better start to wonder.

dr.frog
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
(It's also interesting how "beneath" him sectionals seems to be. At this point- he hadn't been a national champion yet. Lots of former nationals competitiors have to go back to sectionals. What's rare is a former champion, like Alissa this year, having to do that.)

I mentioned before that Michael Weiss had to requalify through sectionals in the 2001-2002 season. At that point he was already a 2-time US Champion. What was Weir in 2004? He wasn't even a former senior medalist. Also, I'm pretty sure the USFSA *could* have given Weiss a bye to Nationals in 2002 under the rules at that time, but they chose not to; and that the rules had changed by 2004 so that there was no longer any loophole they could have used to excuse Weir from qualifying even if they'd thought he deserved it. :blah:

Skittl1321
01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I mentioned before that Michael Weiss had to requalify through sectionals in the 2001-2002 season.

Thanks for reposting. I have been reading the whole thread, but I must have missed/forgot seeing this.

Weir does come off as very entitled. It really makes me wonder what other skaters who have "appeared at Nationals" feel about Sectionals, and how they think of things like Liberty.

Nomad
01-18-2011, 07:11 PM
I mentioned before that Michael Weiss had to requalify through sectionals in the 2001-2002 season. At that point he was already a 2-time US Champion. What was Weir in 2004? ...

A former World Jr. champion who'd withdrawn from all his 2002/03 events and whose previous season (2001/02) had been okay but not stellar. In the book, he writes about the 2002 Nationals, but says nothing at all about his GP events or 4CC that season.

flyingsit
01-18-2011, 07:14 PM
The book really ought to be classified as fiction.

Nomad
01-18-2011, 07:21 PM
^ Some of it certainly struck me as fabricated or, at the very least, distorted. The fact that neither he nor the person(s) who helped him with the book are gifted writers did not help any.

Frau Muller
01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Based on my (very reliable) sources, wild horses wouldn't keep him from being there. So, if for some reason, he's not, then we all better start to wonder.

Thanks! I am so looking forward to cheering loudly and enthusiastically for Johnny in Greensboro. :respec:

Rex
01-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Regardless of what Johnny really eats or ate while training, it's clearly important to him that fans THINK he was barely eating anything, and that's pretty problematic as well. I noticed just from his movie that he was a bit obsessed with being not just slender but skinny. It's kind of disturbing.

Like Munchausens?

Anita18
01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
And that's what's so pathetic. Either all this is how he really feels, or it's what he thinks he should say to be cool or accepted by those he thinks are cool. Either way, pathetic.
That's how I feel too. Surely he can't be so stupid to think that he could get away with that unscathed. Either he's banking that his audience are all big-city fashionistas, or he's at the end of his 15 minutes of fame and trying to stir up controversy to make it last.

Or maybe he really is that dense. :P

Yes, I sense it's the fashionista in him talking trash about small towns. Not gonna lie, when I was studying fashion design at Pratt and Parsons I, along with my classmates, did that too just to show how disdainful we are of the unstylish masses. I was 16-19 years old at the time, and definitely have long since regretted and stopped talking or behaving snobbily. Johnny is 26, there's no excuse for saying demeaning things in hopes of coming across as cool.
Johnny should talk to Tim Gunn, who was on The Daily Show a while ago and talked about how nobody needed fashion (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-4-2008/tim-gunn). It made me :cheer: since for many fashionistas, it is their life.

igniculus
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
The impression I got by the end is that Weir is an incredibly self-absorbed, shallow, petty individual who expected medals handed to him on a silver salver because he's a Special Snowflake, regardless of what he put out on the ice.

Yes, this is why more and more of his former fans feel so terribly dissappinted in him, after so many years of emotional investment. :(

Prancer
01-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Maybe Johnny is simply writing what he feels. An autobiography should be about the truth ... or at least the truth according to the person writing it. Would people like the book and Johnny much better if he was completely PC about everything and everyone in the book? Most people read autobiographies, because they want to know the juicy details about someone's life. It would make for a very boring book otherwise.

I don't know; I think that people read for different reasons. When I read an autobiography about someone who is famous, I like to see some insight into events and people I'm already familiar with. What is lacking to me in Johnny's book is introspection. I don't need for him to be PC, but it would be nice if there was some self-awareness in what he says.

I don't know if he's trying to be cool or he's just being honest, but either way, there is a thread of scorn for just about everyone and everything that comes through. That might be how he feels, but it doesn't make him come across as especially charming, which I think is a shame. Johnny can be charming and, as others have pointed out, has demonstrated a giving side to his personality that doesn't come across in this book.

The fact that neither he nor the person(s) who helped him with the book are gifted writers did not help any.

I think Johnny actually has some talent. He doesn't have the discipline or craft of good writing, but the voice is there. What he really needed was a good editor to eliminate all the descriptors and tone down the drama. Johnny writes like someone who reads a lot, but likes to read the gossip columns most of all.

I wonder, though, if the editor didn't encourage that kind of indulgence. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Johnny's core audience would respond well to a lot of the things some of us here object to.

Jenny
01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I think Johnny actually has some talent. He doesn't have the discipline or craft of good writing, but the voice is there. What he really needed was a good editor to eliminate all the descriptors and tone down the drama. Johnny writes like someone who reads a lot, but likes to read the gossip columns most of all.

I wonder, though, if the editor didn't encourage that kind of indulgence. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Johnny's core audience would respond well to a lot of the things some of us here object to.

I have no insights into the publishing industry so can only speculate, but my guess is that the publisher saw this as a niche book that would mostly appeal to fans who already love him or are interested in gossip about skating.

I can't imagine anyone every thought it would be a bestseller, and thus they likely didn't invest much effort in editing it or working with Johnny on the project. IIRC, over the past few months he's several times said he was writing on his Twitter, but there was no mention of editors or meeting with publishers (beyond the initial dealing).

kwanette
01-18-2011, 09:35 PM
That's how I feel too. Surely he can't be so stupid to think that he could get away with that unscathed. Either he's banking that his audience are all big-city fashionistas, or he's at the end of his 15 minutes of fame and trying to stir up controversy to make it last.

Or maybe he really is that dense. :P

Johnny should talk to Tim Gunn, who was on The Daily Show a while ago and talked about how nobody needed fashion (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-4-2008/tim-gunn). It made me :cheer: since for many fashionistas, it is their life.

Johnny isn't the only "skater" to be , shall we say, obsessed with diet and fashion. Follow some "tweets"..for some, that is ALL they talk about.(along with working out)