PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

antmanb
01-18-2011, 08:46 AM
I'll echo this. While most judges are professional to the core, love this sport dearly, and selflessly give their time, there are some that are among the cattiest individuals I've encountered in skating, and that's saying a lot. Judges are humans just like the rest of us. Not all of them are saints. :saint:

Do they cackle mercilessly though :lol:

Seriously he could have written in a much better way and got the same point across.

Ant

antmanb
01-18-2011, 09:02 AM
When the officials' and judges' sole advice was specifically to drop the costume because they considered it an embarrassment, there was no option to throw them a bone and keep the costume. It was keep the costume or ditch the costume.

Surely any critique given in this way is always simply advice and doesn't have to be taken. Didn't he have a monitoring session once that pointed out his spins weren't gettting high enough levels but he decided to stick to with the lower level calls? Same with the costume. In fact if Johnny is oh-so-brave and sticking-it-to-the-man would it not have been more in line with his "rebellious" characteristics to turn up, wear the costume he wanted and skate like a demon? It just seems to me that if he wants to be so outrageous and rebellious, then do it when it counts and skate well while doing it. According to him the russian audience would have got it and what ground would the USFSA have for doing anything against him if he does well. Don't pitch a hissy fit that actually cuts your nose off to spite your face

Ant

kwanette
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe it was different back in 2003?
Anyway, he comes to Lake Placid every summer for a show and seems to enjoy it. The city he doesn't like is Colorado Springs.

Pg 75..Johnny's words.."the tiny town is horror movie material"..

" I had to settle for serial killing lodging"..

zaphyre14
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
My guess is that Lake Placid, having seen more than its share of Olympic champions, was not impressed with Mr. Weir's honoring them with his presence and so did not accord him the reverence and respect he considers to due to him.

I've stayed at Devlin's; it's not my favorite of the Lake Placid residences, but it's not the Bates Motel either. There are three and four star hotels in NYC that are much, much worse.

DuckLikesSkate
01-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Pg 75..Johnny's words.."the tiny town is horror movie material"..

" I had to settle for serial killing lodging"..

Oh, Johnny... :rolleyes:

Jenny
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Is he so desperate to be seen as cool and fashionable that he has to diss the small cities and towns that have been part of his skating career?

Pathetic poser.

Nomad
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I read the book and was disappointed on many levels. In addition to the lack of detail and insight, there's a thread of disrespect running through the book. Priscilla Hill is "a total conformist" and made to look rather foolish in general; his landlady in Simsbury during the summer of 2003 is "a random woman"; Ryan Bradley is "a skater who never should have beaten me"; Brandon Mroz (unnamed) is "a junior boy" who "had a wow moment"; and so on. He has almost nothing to say about his international competitors; Plushenko is mentioned a few times and the rest might as well not exist. The impression I got by the end is that Weir is an incredibly self-absorbed, shallow, petty individual who expected medals handed to him on a silver salver because he's a Special Snowflake, regardless of what he put out on the ice.

Skittl1321
01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
From the excerpt:

In the skating world, there's an unspoken standard: once you compete in the National Championships on television and fight for a spot on the World Championship team, you don't participate in small, local open events like the one in Newark.

I didn't follow the sport as closely then. At the time was Liberty less prestigous? I kind of thought it was the place for Team USA level skaters (at least those that live on the East Coast) to put out their still works in progress programs.

(It's also interesting how "beneath" him sectionals seems to be. At this point- he hadn't been a national champion yet. Lots of former nationals competitiors have to go back to sectionals. What's rare is a former champion, like Alissa this year, having to do that.)

Frau Muller
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I guess that we won't be seeing Johnny at Art Devlin's anytime soon!

orbitz
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Is he so desperate to be seen as cool and fashionable that he has to diss the small cities and towns that have been part of his skating career?

Pathetic poser.

Maybe Johnny is simply writing what he feels. An autobiography should be about the truth ... or at least the truth according to the person writing it. Would people like the book and Johnny much better if he was completely PC about everything and everyone in the book? Most people read autobiographies, because they want to know the juicy details about someone's life. It would make for a very boring book otherwise.

Jenny
01-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Maybe Johnny is simply writing what he feels. An autobiography should be about the truth ... or at least the truth according to the person writing it. Would people like the book and Johnny much better if he was completely PC about everything and everyone in the book? Most people read autobiographies, because they want to know the juicy details about someone's life. It would make for a very boring book otherwise.

And that's what's so pathetic. Either all this is how he really feels, or it's what he thinks he should say to be cool or accepted by those he thinks are cool. Either way, pathetic.

portia
01-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Pathetic poser.

Yes, I sense it's the fashionista in him talking trash about small towns. Not gonna lie, when I was studying fashion design at Pratt and Parsons I, along with my classmates, did that too just to show how disdainful we are of the unstylish masses. I was 16-19 years old at the time, and definitely have long since regretted and stopped talking or behaving snobbily. Johnny is 26, there's no excuse for saying demeaning things in hopes of coming across as cool.

Nomad
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe Johnny is simply writing what he feels.

Well, apparently he felt that USFS conspired against him.

An autobiography should be about the truth ... or at least the truth according to the person writing it. Would people like the book and Johnny much better if he was completely PC about everything and everyone in the book?

It's possible to be honest without being rude and disrespectful. And, as others have pointed out, some of the incidents he describes read like bad fiction.

Most people read autobiographies, because they want to know the juicy details about someone's life. It would make for a very boring book otherwise.

It was a rather tedious read.

BigB08822
01-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Re: Johnny's weight. I am 5'10" and weigh around 145 lbs. I have an inch on Johnny and 10 pounds, so we are probably about equal when it comes to BMI. I can't gain weight to save my life. This may not always be true but it is how I have been for as long as I have been aware of my weight. Just last week I got the stomach flu and didn't eat for 2 days. I immediately was down to 136. For some people, they are just small. Now, I don't know if I believe what he says he ate while training. I could manage eating that as I don't have a big appetite but to do that AND train at an elite level seems impossible. I just don't think he would have had the energy to get through a practice session but who knows.

Frau Muller
01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm curious -- Do others think that, after this book's publication, Johnny will be receiving his Reader's Choice trophy at Nationals-Greensboro next week? This was going to be one of the highlights for me...seeing Johnny at Greensboro, even if it's accepting an award. He's still scheduled to appear, right?

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=44811&type=media